first trip don't know where to start

we would like to go to WDW in the fall and I'm completely overwhelmed......Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are four of us going I have two boys 6 and 9. We are on a budget, but are going to splurge and would like to stay in the park - I don't know when we will get back again so I want to make the most of this trip. We were thinking of the Pop Century, a 5 day hopper, and a meal plan. travel agent came back with 3400 +/- to go not including airfare. Can we get a free meal plan?? Is the hopper a good Idea?? Is this to much money for what we want? Thanks for your help : )

Figgy1

Welcome!:) My best advice is to get a copy of the Unofficail Guide to Disney! It will cover most of the basics! Pick your restaurants and plan to book them 180 days before your trip! Try to get an extra day or 2 for your vacation you will not regret that decision! I do not hop I don't find the extra cost worth it for me! Good luck planning!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Welcome to the Boards. How long are you planning to stay for? What are your exact dates? What dining plan did that include, Quick service or Plus dining? $3400 could be a lot but there are many factors to look at. Not doing the park hopper will save you about $200 bucks.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

we would like to go to WDW in the fall and I'm completely overwhelmed......Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are four of us going I have two boys 6 and 9. We are on a budget, but are going to splurge and would like to stay in the park - I don't know when we will get back again so I want to make the most of this trip. We were thinking of the Pop Century, a 5 day hopper, and a meal plan. travel agent came back with 3400 +/- to go not including airfare. Can we get a free meal plan?? Is the hopper a good Idea?? Is this to much money for what we want? Thanks for your help : )
No-one knows when free dining will be offered or even if it will be offered. Disney has said that it is cutting back on special offers. If you do get free dining it may save you a few dollars but, only if you are eating quick service for all of your meals otherwise you'll have to upgrade to the regular dining plan which will not save you money but, cost you instead. Hoppers are a good idea if you'll be there during a week when the MNSSHP is going on because MK closes early on those days. If you're there in early September I wouldn't worry about Hoppers though. Just pick a park & stay there that day. It will save you some money by not getting the Hoppers. Pop Century is great & is our favorite next to AOA! Staying at POP will allow you to walk over the bridge to check out AOA. If your kids like Cars that section is great for taking pictures! Anyway, that's it for now. Any other questions just ask!:)

Upvote 0

dustbunnywrangler

Original Poster
No-one knows when free dining will be offered or even if it will be offered. Disney has said that it is cutting back on special offers. If you do get free dining it may save you a few dollars but, only if you are eating quick service for all of your meals otherwise you'll have to upgrade to the regular dining plan which will not save you money but, cost you instead. Hoppers are a good idea if you'll be there during a week when the MNSSHP is going on because MK closes early on those days. If you're there in early September I wouldn't worry about Hoppers though. Just pick a park & stay there that day. It will save you some money by not getting the Hoppers. Pop Century is great & is our favorite next to AOA! Staying at POP will allow you to walk over the bridge to check out AOA. If your kids like Cars that section is great for taking pictures! Anyway, that's it for now. Any other questions just ask!:)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Welcome!:) My best advice is to get a copy of the Unofficail Guide to Disney! It will cover most of the basics! Pick your restaurants and plan to book them 180 days before your trip! Try to get an extra day or 2 for your vacation you will not regret that decision! I do not hop I don't find the extra cost worth it for me! Good luck planning!

The above advice is so good, it bears repeating. The Unofficial Guide will help you plan when to visit, where to stay, what to eat and what to see. If you find you're traveling during a time of peak crowds, I'd also recommend subscribing to the Unofficial Guide's website, touringplans.com, which will allow you to make personalized touring plans (or follow standard ones they provide) that make the most of your park time.

Upvote 0

dustbunnywrangler

Original Poster
thanks
What is MNSSHP???? We are trying to go last week of Sept. so we can take part in the not so scary Halloween party. Thanks for the advice about the hopper, a friend suggested it so we could see fireworks shows and other events at night that may not be happening in the park we go to on a certain day. Can you come and go as much as you want to only one park in a day. say we did the morning went back to the hotel for the afternoon then back out after dinner?

Upvote 0

dustbunnywrangler

Original Poster
Welcome to the Boards. How long are you planning to stay for? What are your exact dates? What dining plan did that include, Quick service or Plus dining? $3400 could be a lot but there are many factors to look at. Not doing the park hopper will save you about $200 bucks.

Thanks : ) we are thinking of 7 days +/- the boys really want to see lego land also. this is what I got from the travel agent: Disney Magic Your Way Package plus Disney Dining Plan We would like to go the last week of Sept 21-28

Upvote 0

dustbunnywrangler

Original Poster
Thank you I did pick up the book from the library yesterday.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Thanks : ) we are thinking of 7 days +/- the boys really want to see lego land also. this is what I got from the travel agent: Disney Magic Your Way Package plus Disney Dining Plan We would like to go the last week of Sept 21-28

I ran those dates Staying at Art Of animation "COuld not get Pop to work" with no park hoppers and the Disney dining plan which will get you 1 sitdown meal and 1 quick service and my total came to 3,062.

Upvote 0

Allygator

thanks
What is MNSSHP???? We are trying to go last week of Sept. so we can take part in the not so scary Halloween party. Thanks for the advice about the hopper, a friend suggested it so we could see fireworks shows and other events at night that may not be happening in the park we go to on a certain day. Can you come and go as much as you want to only one park in a day. say we did the morning went back to the hotel for the afternoon then back out after dinner?
Check for the value season to save money on lodging. The end of the month may cost a little more due to the wine and food festival. Also the military discounts are great if this applies.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

The base ticket will allow you to anter and leave the same park as many times as you wish on that day! Disney releases their calendar 6 months in advance so you can plan to visit which park on what day including the fireworks shows! When booking meals you should book a Fantasmic dining package at hs at either BD or MM to avoid the Fantasmic lines! DO NOT I repeat DO NOT eat at Hollywood and Vile!

Upvote 0

Allygator

The base ticket will allow you to anter and leave the same park as many times as you wish on that day! Disney releases their calendar 6 months in advance so you can plan to visit which park on what day including the fireworks shows! When booking meals you should book a Fantasmic dining package at hs at either BD or MM to avoid the Fantasmic lines! DO NOT I repeat DO NOT eat at Hollywood and Vile!
You crack me up with the Hollywood and vile. Lol. At this rate you should have the restaurant empty in six months! ;). Maybe then disney will get the message!

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

thanks
MNSSHP-Mickey's not so scary Halloween Party
Yes, you can come and go as much as you want to one park in a day. You can go back to your resort for an afternoon break & go back to the same park later that evening!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

You crack me up with the Hollywood and vile. Lol. At this rate you should have the restaurant empty in six months! ;). Maybe then disney will get the message!
I made the mistake of going there for the Fantasmic package and of course my dh said for the next trip we should just wait on line and changed his mind later and that was all that was left again so I figured since it was the 1 and only bad meal I ever had in the world maybe it was just an off day, well it wasn't I didn't think it was possible but the food and service was actually worse (didn't think it was possible) NEVER EVER going back until they fix the situation and the place starts getting excellent reviews! Hear that DISNEY!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
As others have said, you should definitely check out touringplans.com and do as much research as possible. We typically don't go through a travel agent, but it does take time to plan your own trip. If you do use a travel agent I would strongly recommend one that does only WDW, or at least has a strong record of Disney trips.

You may be able to save money if you book the room only through Disney and then buy tickets from undercover tourist. Watch for Disney announcing the discounts for this time of year - you can usually get either free dining (IF it's offered) or the room discount. We've found that the room discount will usually save you more overall, but the dining plan is very convenient for a first time trip. Just a few tips we've learned along the way!

And stick around this place - you'll get plenty of help if you just ask!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

As others have said, you should definitely check out touringplans.com and do as much research as possible. We typically don't go through a travel agent, but it does take time to plan your own trip. If you do use a travel agent I would strongly recommend one that does only WDW, or at least has a strong record of Disney trips.

You may be able to save money if you book the room only through Disney and then buy tickets from undercover tourist. Watch for Disney announcing the discounts for this time of year - you can usually get either free dining (IF it's offered) or the room discount. We've found that the room discount will usually save you more overall, but the dining plan is very convenient for a first time trip. Just a few tips we've learned along the way!

And stick around this place - you'll get plenty of help if you just ask!
AAA also has discounts on packages and tickets!

Upvote 0

Plowboy

Best advice is to immerse yourself in information. Check out the official WDW site, All-Ears.net (especially the planning, accommodation and dining sections) and of course this site. Read the forums and browse the photo and info sections.

Last but not least, ask questions. Many of us have been to "the world" several times and are willing to share info and experience.

Upvote 0
With a 6 and 9 year old, I'd skip the park hopper. There's so much to do in each park that you don't want the pressure of wasting your hopper too. See, you just saved $225!

Instead of hopping, pick one park and go early. Around lunchtime, consider going back to the hotel in the afternoon to swim. If you are staying onsite, then the kids will love the themed pools. And no matter where you go, be it Disney, Hawaii, or Bora Bora, the kids always remember the pool. Then return to the same park before or after dinner for more rides and the evening fireworks/show.

Historically, Disney has offered free dining plans for late summer/early fall trips. Sometimes the offer comes out in the spring. Other times in the summer, so keep a watch out! mousesavers.com has a list of past discounts and when they were previously released.

Upvote 0

Doug Means

I'm not big on advice because i feel like i'm doing everything i can just not to mess up my life let alone someone elses, but you are in a similar situation to me a feww years ago.

the good news is there are so many great sites now to look at (it seems overwhelming) but if you go slow and start with the basics. i always look at the disney site just to try and narrow down dates. once i have those i just try to find out as much as i can about everything. this site, chip and co. and a few others are awesome. another on the disney site is the "moms panel" for general information.

we also are using a travel agent this trip. she is doing a great job of answering all my questions and suggesting stuff.

Last but not least, i found a disney planning spread sheet that just helps me organize all this information in my brain. i don't go as indepth as some people, but without this to look at i'd go crazy i think.

in the end, just read as much information you can and it will be great.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom