First time visit, please help plan!

welshdragon

Hello all,
Was recommended this site by my sister, have got a trip booked for this year, 2 weeks from march 28th. I realise it will be busy as Easter holidays so hope you will all help me plan our days. We are staying in Lake Buena Vista and have a car. It is just me and my very excited 12yr old daughter. We are hoping to do 4 Disney parks and maybe a water park, also universal and seaworld and I would also like half a day in a shopping mall! Daughter is keen to do all the big rides/shows ( not sure how brave I am for big rollercoasters though!) and is also animal mad. Any advice/tips or full on itinerary plan most welcome.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A formidable task indeed and welcome! So you need to decide how you're going to allocate your days first between parks, if its a Disney park check for Advance dining reservations ADRs (table service sit down meals) if you want to eat that way instead of take away meals, then start listing out your "must do" experiences so you can start planning out your paths to follow for the day.

Be aware that Hollywood Studios is under heavy renovations and construction so there will not be as much to do there as has been normal in the past.

For Disney don't be too concerned about big roller-coasters, there is Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Holloywood studios which are the only ones that would really fit into that category Seaworld has Kracken and Manta right now , Universal has more..

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
If you have 2 weeks you will have plenty of time. I'd take the first day and relax a bit. Not sure where you are coming from, what time you are getting in, but don't try and conquer "the world" on day 1. If you are staying in LBV, you'll be close to Disney Springs. I'd probably say that exploring DS on day 1 is a good start. With the shopping and dinning options you'll have more than enough to do. As for your 12 year old, she'll get to absorb some of the Disney experience. A leisurely day one sets you up nicely for a full day at the parks on day 2.

DS gives you a shopping experience. That being said, you'll probably want to visit some of the outlet malls during your stay. Nearest you would be the Vineland Outlets. Alternately, on the north end of I-drive (about 20-25 min from you) you have the International Premium Outlets.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
First, be prepared for crowded parks, especially the Magic Kingdom. As both @networkpro and @scorp16 mentioned, planning will make your trip more enjoyable. I agree that your first day should be a relaxing one and think Disney Springs is a great place to start. There are plenty of shops, both Disney related and non-Disney related merchandise. And plenty of places to grab a bite to eat. And all parks and Disney Springs now have a Starbucks, if getting your Java fix is important. Plus, there's an AMC in Disney Springs that includes a couple of their dine in theatres. We've found a relaxing way to spend our first night is to see a movie while we eat dinner.

If possible, check out websites like Touring Plans that have crowd calendars. That way you can get a good idea which days will be the best to visit each park. Request the planning DVD from Disney's website. Before our first trip, we ordered the personal maps of each park (do they still offer those?). That way you can see where each attraction is located in each park, mark those you really want to ride and set up a route. Nothing wastes time and drains your energy like having to wander around a park, crisscrossing the park (especially through heavy crowds) to get from ride to ride. Secret, do the Magic Kingdom clockwise, i.e., start in Adventureland and work your way around to Tomorrowland. Make those Fastpass reservations in that circular order. You don't want to have to go from one side of the park to the other to make your initial three fastpasses. And make those FP+ reservations for those rides you really want. Since you are staying off property, your window to make them will open up 30 days prior to the day you plan on visiting a particular park. That's why that nice map Disney provides is so beneficial. And the maps are two sided, with a park on each side. And if I remember, you can select which parks are on each side. The maps come in a nice little envelope and are bigger than the ones you will pick up in a park.

Since your trip is in about a month and a half, the 180 day window to make advanced dining reservations for Table Service restaurants has opened. If you and your daughter want to eat at any of the popular restaurants, like Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom, you will need a reservation, especially since you will be visiting at a busy time. It will be very difficult to walk up to a table service restaurant and expected to be seated within a reasonable time, if at all. You can visit each restaurant on the Disney website and all will have the type or restaurant (table service, quick service, etc.), type of cuisine (American, Mexican, Asian, etc.), price range and a menu. Note that ALL table service restaurants now require a credit card guarantee, but don't charge your card unless you are a no show ($10 per person on the reservation) or when it comes time to pay. Make sure you understand the no show policy, because Disney considers you a no show if you are more than 30 minutes late for your reservation and will cancel it, to boot.

In budgeting for your expenses, make sure to figure in parking at Disney, Universal and Sea World. I don't know what Sea World's parking fee is, but I believe Disney is now $20 a day and Universal may be close to that. And make sure you familiarize yourself with the route from Lake Buena Vista to both Universal and Sea World. I know to go from the WDW area to Universal means a drive on I-4, which is a very busy highway and can be confusing to the first timer. So have that GPS ready.

Speaking of Universal, if you and your daughter want to ride the Hogwarts Express from Hogsmeade (which is in Islands of Adventure) to Diagon Alley (which is in Universal Studios), you will need to have purchased a park-to-park ticket (Universal's version of Disney's Park Hopper addition). It's a great ride on a working train and the scenes are different for each trip - I highly recommend it. Note that Universal's Express Pass, which is similar to Disney's Fastpass, is NOT included in the price of your admission ticket - it's an extra fee. Express Pass doesn't give you a reserved time to ride an attraction; you just get in the Express Pass line and have priority over riders in standby. Not all rides have Express Pass - Hogwarts ride in Hogsmeade and Gringott's in Diagon Alley don't. The are two levels of Express Pass - unlimited which means you can go through the Express Pass line for a ride over and over again or the one time on, which is the cheaper level. I would consider getting the Express Pass option because there will be rides that will have long standby times.

Make sure to download both the WDW and Universal apps to your phone. Both provide ride wait times for rides. Disney's also allows you to make ADRs, purchase tickets and change existing FP selections.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

I want to add some advice for you in terms of WDW. If your Daughter wants to do Fast Track, Fast Pass Plus is going to be the only option without waiting over 70 minute lines. I am guessing with the time of the lines, but I don't think is a stretch with the time you are going and what is open. Here is some information you need to be aware for Epcot:
  1. Soarin' is down while you and your Daughter are visiting WDW. This is a big deal because the top 2 Busiest attractions for Epcot in many years have been Test Track and Soarin. That in return means the lines for other attractions will be even longer despite when you are going.
  2. The Frozen Ever After Ride isn't going to be opened at the time you and your Daughter are going. That is going to affect the lines for attractions. That attraction is supposed to be open in May or June. I don't think Epcot's Frozen Meet and Greet in Epcot is going to open yet either. If Your Daughter is interested in Frozen, I recommend Magic Kingdom and Disney Hollywood. I mentioned Magic Kingdom because they have Frozen Meet and Greet there. Disney Hollywood Studios has a Frozen sing-a-long.
  3. The trip being planned is happening during Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival. It draw is one of the things that draws guests into Epcot. While I haven't been to Epcot during the festival, I've read that the festival has Outdoor Kitchens, Disney Character topiaries, concerts, and Garden Exhibits.
There is some information right now about the Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom may or may Night the new Night time show Rivers of Lights going at the time you are going and I am guessing that is also true with the night time Kilmanjaro Safaris. The first showing for Rivers of Lights either is going to happen in March or April with no date set yet. If the Rivers of Light is ready, you will need Fast Pass Plus for sure.

There isn't much I can say about DHS in terms of stuff that could be happening. I don't know if DHS is doing have a firework show while you are down there.

Upvote 0

welshdragon

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the advice. We have our park tickets already booked and paid for as a package with our UK tour operator. I believe we have a 14 day Disney ticket and also an orlando flex ticket which gives us admission to universal, seaworld and aquatica. How many days do you recommend in each park? Also, how do we book fastpass or fastpass plus? Do we plan now what days we want to go to each park so we can book fastpass? Do we book universal express pass now or when we arrive? Do you recommend that we book restaurants now? My sister told me to book dinner and reserved seating for Fantasmic at Hollywood studios? I want to try to be as organised as poss to make the most of our time. Thanks for the advice re frozen, will let my daughter know.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom