First Time to use Magic Band + and GAC Replacement

rob0519

Original Poster
We've been to WDW several times before for 5-7 day stays and because we have a physically and mentally disabled adult son, have been fortunate to use the old Guest Accommodation system. We have not been to the World since last year before the introduction of the Magic Bands and the elimination of the old GAC program.

This coming April we will be stopping at the MK for one day only, something we've never done before. How does the Magic Band + program work for us? Should be buy tickets in advance or simply walk up and purchase them at the gate? Once we enter the park, then how do they work in place of paper Fastpasses? Additionally, what sort of program replaced the GAC and how does that work? I've seen several different and sometimes contradictory explanations. It's strange after all those visits to feel like a first timer again. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

docdebbi

as you will be there for only one day I am assuming that you are not staying at one of their resorts. Therefore, there is no real advantage to buying your ticket and linking it to your account ahead of time other than avoiding the line to buy the ticket that morning.
As far as FP+, currently, and I emphasize currently, day guests need to go to a kiosk once they are in the park to make their FP+ reservations. and i understand that the lines are long. Disney however, has said that they intend to open pre-booking to day guests sometime that year. take that for what is worth, simply news articles I am reading that Iger said that.......
If they do open it up to day guests before you go, which I DOUBT, then there is an advantage, but you can't predict that.
As far as the new DAS that replaced GAC, you need to go to guest services when you enter the park with your son. they will take his picture and put it on his card. when you arrive at each ride (for which you do not have FP+), they will write on the back of his card the time for you to return and go directly on the ride. he does need to be present to get this time, you can't go for him. this time will be the same as if you stood in standby line. meaning, you arrive at 9 AM to a ride with a 20 minute standby line, your return time will be 920. you may only hold one return time at a time.
i would go get a GAC time to return, then go do a fp+ attraction, then return to your GAC reservation, and keep mixing them up all day.
btw- you only get 3 fp+ for the entire day and only in one park
hope this helps

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom