First Time Planning!

misssara

Hello! I'm really, really new to the forums and I am finally succumbing to the fact that I am OBSESSED with planning my Disney Vacation. I've been to the parks before but never for over a two days. All I can talk is disney this and disney that. I'm even reading blogs on my lunch breaks.

I booked the dates last week for April 20 to the 25th (I know! Well under the reccomended 180days). I've no children and will be traveling with my long term boyfriend. This is our first vacation alone! Ever! We're staying in the French Quarter of the Port Orleans. I have a few questions I hope you disney vets can help out with.

One of my dreams is to celebrate my birthday in Disney, my birthday is two weeks after the trip but fall in the Blackout of Vacation for my work. So in honor we are taking this trip, is is foul-play to have a special birthday dinner when its not really my birthday day? I really don't want to make a Disney no-no!

For dinner do I have to arrive early like I would for other things?
Is there any suggestions all of you have? Any advice, when thinking of everything I am a little lost.

Am I missing something? I've booked the trip, made meal reservations, booked the flight, made the magical express baggage accommodations. Is it too early start planning my luggage?

Sweet Melissa

You chose one of the best resorts! French Quarter is quiet, convenient and intimate. Perfect for a vacationing couple.

Don't worry about the birthday thing. Everybody in Disney World is celebrating something. Some people celebrate the whole month. It's perfectly fine to celebrate your birthday on your "unbirthday."

I do recommend arriving early at restaurants. Disney suggests that you check in 15 minutes before your reservation.

My biggest piece of advice is don't try to do it all. Make yourself familiar with the parks and resort amenities and don't worry too much about doing every little thing that people tell you is a "must-do." Everything is a "must-do" for someone. Also, don't forget the sunscreen!

Upvote 0

Disney Fanatic 29

You sound like me! I have one Disney vacation booked (that I haven't even gone on yet and I'm busy trying to plan my next! lol.) I've celebrated birthdays and anniversaries down in Disney when it wasn't the actual date and I've never had a problem with anything. I think they understand that you sometimes can't book your vacations around those particular dates. I use to be able to book the celebrations online with the dining reservations but you can't seem to do that anymore. I suggest calling them and picking a date to celebrate your birthday. (They always ask me if I'm celebrating something on the phone besides!) I don't think you have to arrive early for dinner, just make sure you are there when your reservation time is because you may have to wait at certain places. Also, make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time to get from your resort/park to the restaurant because it takes a lot longer than you may think. Have fun!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Agree,love FQ. Put this on your must do list..Take the boat from FQ down the Sassagoula river to downtown,and what ever you eat at the food court,don't forget to try the Beignets.Also if you get the chance,check out the jazz dude that plays in the resort bar area.:)

Upvote 0

WishIWasAtWDW

Welcome to the forums! :D We're all a little Disney obsessed here so you have come to the right place! POFQ is a great resort! My husband and I stayed there last February and we really enjoyed it. It's nice because the buildings aren't too spread out so its not a very long walk from any of the buildings to the main building, pool or buses. I also really like the New Orleans theme.

As others have said, don't worry about it not being your actual birthday. Tell them that you are celebrating your birthday and make sure to get a birthday button when you check in! You can also add your celebration to your dining reservations so the restaurant will know that you are there for your birthday. I would make sure to get to the restaurants around 15 to 10 minutes before your reservation. Being a former hostess at a restaurant, I think it is just good etiquette to arrive a little before your reservation time. I have shown up exactly at the reservation time, and a few times a little late, and I have never had a problem being seated but I still think its a good idea to plan to arrive early.

It sounds like you have taken care of all of the major components of a WDW trip. On our trips, I always like to make a list of our "must do" attractions so we don't forget to do any of our favorites. I love to plan too, and that includes planning what I am going to pack and wear each day. My husband thinks I am crazy but I think of it as being organized! :D I always make a packing checklist around a month before a trip and then continue to add items to the list as I remember other things to pack. I don't think its ever too early to start planning what to pack. Happy planning to you!

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Welcome to the boards!!! You will find ALL of us get obsessed with planning, and there isn't a thing wrong with that ;) There isn't a question about Disney that can't be answered by one of our teriffic members. Enjoy your planning!!!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Are you my twin? My long time boyfriend and I are going almost the same dates, staying at POR, and it's our first real trip together. Not to mention I'm obsessed as well!
PORS. Is my all time favourite.Were not Disney freaks:eek: Disney geeks maybe ;) oh by the way,I gave you your first like.A pixie gets her wings tonight.

Upvote 0

misssara

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! You're all too sweet! I'm SO excited!
I also didn't even think to have a birthday dinner! Maybe I can talk my sweetie into an early birthday cake...Hmm. :)

I'm going on monday to get a planning binder! Oh my. I just can't help it! Its like everyday I think of a new thing to thing about. Don't even get me started about the started pack of trading pins I bought. Goodness.

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

ah WDW planning! It is my favorite pasttime, even though weve only been twice lol...i get great fun out of reading rest. reviews, watching videos, going on all the sites etc. I love planning all the ADRs, what we will be doing each day. 455 days!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom