First Princess Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hi all!

So, my wife and I both registered for the Disney Princess Half Marathon for next February. This will be our (1) first RunDisney event and (2) first half marathon ever.

What advice do you have for a couple of newbies?

1. Don't panic, you can do it. 👍
2. Find a good training program that meets your needs and schedule. Jeff Galloway's is a good one.
3. Make sure to purchase quality running shoes that fit properly. And you'll need to break them in for several weeks PRIOR to the race. If you can, I'd buy 2 pairs and rotate them. Also, don't use your race shoes as your "walk around the parks shoes".
4. If you plan on wearing a costume for the race, keep it simple. And test drive it. Nothing could defeat your plans more than finding out that costume is painful to wear at mile 7.
5. Plan for both hot and cold weather. I've run in frigid Princesses and boiling hot. Those $2 cheap ponchos are not only good for keeping you dry, but also warm in the corral if it's a chilly start. Many people go by Walmart or Goodwill and purchase a cheap sweatshirt or hoodie. Once you warm up, take it off and toss it on the side of the road. runDisney will pick up discarded clothing, clean it and donate to a local shelter.
6. Plan on how you'll hydrate during the race. runDisney will have tables with both water and Powerade. Don't skip them, especially the Powerade. Running when it's warm...and humid...without replacing electrolytes is bad. I like to wear my hydration vest for the halfs as it has lots of pockets for gels, chews, pretzels, etc., not just a good sided bladder for water.
7. Get something to minimize body chaffing, like Bodyglide. Your thighs, underarms, underb00bs, nipples (for guys), etc., will thank you.
8. Don't go commando at the parks the day before the race. That 2AM alarm will come earlier than you think.
9. Fuel and hydrate the day before. But stay away from foods that may give you tummy troubles. Now is not the time to eat that 5 alarm chili. Those porta potties aren't as frequent along the race course as we like. Also cut back on the alcohol before race day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Great advice! Thanks for passing those tips along...

I've learned several, the hard way. Blisters on your feet can be quite common, sadly, but well fitting...and broken in...shoes, along with good socks, can minimize them. I like to smear Bodyglide all over my toes, including in between, top of my foot, ankle and heel to prevent blisters.

surfsupdon

Get to bed early the night before even if you aren’t asleep. Purchase your morning race breakfast the day before bc nothing will be open.
If you want the full experience get there early to race morning. I arrive after their recommended time and still have plenty of time. I prefer the extra sleep.

Log your miles in our Mile tracker thread after you finish!

And have the best time- these races are SO FUN!

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I would modify 9. on @LAKid53 ’s list. You should be hydrating well several days before the race (and eating well too) not just the day before.

I’m not a fan of Galloway‘s plans even though I do long runs with a run/walk method.

Most people in the running sub forum are really helpful so don’t hesitate to ask for advice 😊

Also, since you are doing this as a couple, don’t assume that "one size fits all" - what might work for one of you might not work for the other. For example, I have a brand of socks that I swear by (Falke running socks but I don‘t know if they are sold in the US) - I’ve never gotten blisters running in them. But someone else might have a different experience.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I would modify 9. on @LAKid53 ’s list. You should be hydrating well several days before the race (and eating well too) not just the day before.

I’m not a fan of Galloway‘s plans even though I do long runs with a run/walk method.

Most people in the running sub forum are really helpful so don’t hesitate to ask for advice 😊

Also, since you are doing this as a couple, don’t assume that "one size fits all" - what might work for one of you might not work for the other. For example, I have a brand of socks that I swear by (Falke running socks but I don‘t know if they are sold in the US) - I’ve never gotten blisters running in them. But someone else might have a different experience.

Only if you're tapering. Otherwise those training miles will eat up the glycogen you're trying to store in your muscles. Best is to eat a diet in which 85%-90% of your calories come from easily digestible carbs. Rice, pasta and bread are the go to choices. Just lay off the heavy sauces and high fiber grains. Bananas are a good choice, too. I remember when the resort quick service spots had a runner's meal the night before.

And don't forget to eat something carb rich but lite race morning. My preference is either a toasted bagel with peanut butter, banana or a small bowel of oatmeal. Even a sports drink is better than beginning a race on an empty stomach.

surfsupdon

Only if you're tapering. Otherwise those training miles will eat up the glycogen you're trying to store in your muscles. Best is to eat a diet in which 85%-90% of your calories come from easily digestible carbs. Rice, pasta and bread are the go to choices. Just lay off the heavy sauces and high fiber grains. Bananas are a good choice, too. I remember when the resort quick service spots had a runner's meal the night before.

And don't forget to eat something carb rich but lite race morning. My preference is either a toasted bagel with peanut butter, banana or a small bowel of oatmeal. Even a sports drink is better than beginning a race on an empty stomach.
I remember when Disney Resorts had breakfast options at 2a on half/full race mornings!! Long ago.

Rubberburner

Well, we did it! My wife and I both completed our first RunDisney event: the Disney Princess Half Marathon, this past weekend. What a blast! Thanks for the great advice; we took it all to heart. We followed the Jeff Galloway training plan, except my wife never did the run-walo interval during training, instead focus on just walking.

She did the race with her friend, and they both ended up alternating between light jogs and longer power walks. They ended up running about 40%, and walking the rest.

I ran about 80% of the time, doing pretty well until mile marker 7. My left ankle and calf were bothering me for a couple of miles then I hit the med table for biofreeze and ibuprofen and then powered through. What a great event, and an even better accomplishment!

We are hooked, and I am now counting down the days until registration opens for the 2025 event!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Well, we did it! My wife and I both completed our first RunDisney event: the Disney Princess Half Marathon, this past weekend. What a blast! Thanks for the great advice; we took it all to heart. We followed the Jeff Galloway training plan, except my wife never did the run-walo interval during training, instead focus on just walking.

She did the race with her friend, and they both ended up alternating between light jogs and longer power walks. They ended up running about 40%, and walking the rest.

I ran about 80% of the time, doing pretty well until mile marker 7. My left ankle and calf were bothering me for a couple of miles then I hit the med table for biofreeze and ibuprofen and then powered through. What a great event, and an even better accomplishment!

We are hooked, and I am now counting down the days until registration opens for the 2025 event!
congratulations GIF

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

Welcome to the cult :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom