First Magical Memory

Figgy1

Original Poster
I just was thinking back to many, many moons ago. Back to my first trip. I won't give the exact year as I don't want to admit how old I am. LOL Let's just say it was in the eighties and I was old enough to drive. My first magical memory was driving under the Walt Disney World sign. I don't know how or why but it was at that moment I knew I was going to be hooked on Disney for years to come. Now every trip that's my first magical memory of that trip. What was your very first magical memory?

epcotisbest

My first magical memory is the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village at what is now DTD. It was much more rustic, quaint and intimate than now, but I suppose the reason we still go there first every trip is because that is what we did in 1983, and we both had been driving for awhile, me longer than my wife.

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

My first trip to the world I was 6 years old... 1983 (see avatar - that's me in 1983). Anyway... I don't remember much in my mind's eye from that trip except for two things:

1) Throwing up in the back of my grandparent's rental car
2) Seeing SSE for the first time and staring up at it as I walked beneath it for the first time

Obviously I wouldn't categorize memory #1 as magical but #2 is something that has stuck with me throughout my Disney life. My love of Disney and my fondest childhood Disney memories are all in some way tied to classic EPCOT Center. Horizons was one of those attractions my family loved because little Jenny would want to ride it multiple times and they could relax and get out of the heat. Every classic "educatainment" attraction was at the top of my lists. When I close my eyes and remember back to my childhood trips the memories are always of things like Horizons, World of Motion and Imagination. I have vivid memories of stepping into a Hydrolator and being in awe. I remember thinking that the animatronic dinosaurs on Energy were possibly the coolest things I had ever seen. I remember walking around singing "Tomorrow's Child" all day, knowing no lyrics other than "Tomorrow's Child, Tomorrow's Child..." and thus driving my family nuts. LOL!

jkl2000

I just was thinking back to many, many moons ago. Back to my first trip. I won't give the exact year as I don't want to admit how old I am. LOL Let's just say it was in the eighties and I was old enough to drive. My first magical memory was driving under the Walt Disney World sign. I don't know how or why but it was at that moment I knew I was going to be hooked on Disney for years to come. Now every trip that's my first magical memory of that trip. What was your very first magical memory?

We'll assume, then, that it was 1989 and you were 16. How's that? ;)

For me, it was my two brothers and I riding the monorail for fun - we were staying in the Contemporary, and when my mom wanted to chill in our room, this is what we'd do (my older brother was probably about 15, so he was able to supervise enough). That was just a cool thing to be able to do. This was when you could still ride in the front.

Last edited:

Spikerdink

I don't remember much from my first trip to MK....must have been in mid 70s. My brother and I travelled to visit my great-grandmother who lived in Bradenton. I know we drove up to Orlando and went to MK. The only thing I recall were the old ticket booklets. Must have asked my brother over a hundred times if we had enough tickets for certain rides. I know we bought more 'E tickets' because I vaguely recall standing on line to buy them..... I don't even think we have a photo from the trip....nowadays I take enough photos that leave nothing left undocumented.

Years later I travelled back to WDE with my great grandmother and one of my closest friends. We must have been in HS - or fresh out, because I drove the three of us to WDW....There are two things I remember from that trip - my great grandmother LOVED the Hall of Presidents. She thought it was amazing they could find actors that looked so much like the Presidents :banghead:. She also loved that attraction becuase she could 'rest her eyes' for a little while..... The other thing I remember was that my friend (who is just as absent minded today as then) bought a souvenir and left his wallet on the counter....and it was never seen again. Some nice person who was next to him or followed him picked it up and kept it..... OK, so that wasn't so magical....

Figgy1

Original Poster
We'll assume, then, that it was 1989 and you were 16. How's that? ;)

For me, it was my two brothers and I riding the monorail for fun - we were staying in the Contemporary, and when my mom wanted to chill in our room, this is what we'd do (my older brother was probably about 15, so he was able to supervise enough). That was just a cool thing to be able to do. This was when you could still ride in the front.
THNX!!!!!! That works for me! LOL

WDWVolFan

My first trip I was 12 and went with my mom.
We came to the US to visit my unclde who lived in Miami and he set us up with a trip of 5 days to Orlando.
we took a charter bus to Orlando and stayed 4 days, (MGM, Epcot, MK and Universal) and I remember the Disney smell at MK and the Disney music...it was awesome.
Heck today all it takes me is watching a video about Disney and I get all bummed out I'm not there...

jw24

Oh gosh. I can't remember that far back to my very first visit at the age of two. So I think the first time I ever had a magical moment was seeing the castle again on my HS class trip after 7 year wait. In the past, I would've been unimpressed because I was not the WDW fan back then than I am now but on that day, I couldn't believe how beautiful with its aesthetics and colors. I felt what every young child feels when they walk down Main Street and finally see the castle up close for the very first time. You can't help but stare in amazement.

zurgandfriend

My first Disney land memory was circa 1959 my dad driving the family cross country on route 66 to visit his brother who lived in Los Angeles and going to Disney Land and how colorful it was after seeing it on black and white TV. My first WDW memory is visiting WDW in the 90’s, the 1990’s that is, in my 40’s and driving up to Dixie Landing.

GrimGrinningGhost15

My first trip wasn't until I was 20, but I remember taking the ferry on our very first day (we stayed off site) and just feeling overwhelmed with excitement as I took in everything. I also remember getting teary eyed as I walked up Main Street, all the smells and sounds and I was there with my now almost husband so it was a great first memory.

DaveN1996

I was in my teenage years my first trip (with a 2 day drive from Texas), and I only thought I knew magic memories until taking my girls for the first time last year. Boarding the ferry and having my 5 year old exclaim that she can smell the magic is something that I'll hold onto.

DJMoore2011

Well my first trip was much later in life then anyone else so far, I was 38 my first trip was in Nov. 2011. The first Magical memory was the look of pure happiness on my Darling Daughter's face as we watched the show for rope drop. Then turning to my Dear Hubby and seeing him wipe a tear away as he too was watching Darling Daughter. Though if you ask Dear Hubby he still swears someone was cutting onions near by. :rolleyes:;):cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom