Fireworks/Illuminations Cruise?

Erik

Hey folks,

Has anyone done either the MK Fireworks or Illuminations cruise? I'm headed down with my family and thought it would be a nice thing to do, but wanted to make sure that it was worth the cost. Your thoughts? Thanks!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Never done it - However, I have read on here that its awesome. One thing to be wary of though - the wind !! If its blowing the smoke from the fireworks in the wrong direction (towards you) you'll not see anything

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Also, you need to call on the 90 day out day, at 7am. They sell out right away in most cases. I've been tring to do one of the Epcot ones for 3 years now, and it's been reserved before us all 3 times. Grrrrr. :mad: Last year, I was calling and so was Itiniary Services at my resort. Neither of us got it in time.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I did Illuminations in 2003 and Wishes this year. It is a pain to get but if you start diling at 2 mins to 7 you may get lucky. I couldnt get Illuminations so I opted for Wishes, Im sure theres a tip about booking somewhere.

I have to say it is worth it. Our boat captain was excellent and really made it a night to remember.

I suppose the greatest recommendation is that were doing it again. You just have to be disciplined about calling bang on opening. :D

Upvote 0

brich

Did Wishes in December. Really fun. If you don't call 90 days out at 7am, I'm pretty certain your out of luck though... If there's still time, do it. :)

Upvote 0

swimmom

We did an Illuminations Cruise in March 2002. We had a great time. It was raining lightly during Illuminations, so it was nice to be parked under the bridge staying dry the whole time. It was also nice leaving the park via boat to the Boardwalk Resort where we hopped the bus to Downtown Disney and then back to Wilderness Lodge. As mentioned above, you have to be on the phone about two minutes before 7:00 a.m. est, 90 days before you want to take the cruise. I even called a few days before the make sure I would be calling on the correct day the the date we wanted.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

gary_flower

Were doing both this september.

Epcot you have to do 90 days ahead, but you have to be VERY VERY fast. as soon as the lines open you have to be through and and sorted. They go in seconds.

MK we found easier to get but you still have to be fast.

We have only done the epcot one and that is SO worth the money, the MK one is new for us this year. cant wait.

Upvote 0

JennBGonyea

Do it:)

We just did the Wishes fireworks cruise June 11 during our honeymoon. It was wonderful! They had the boat decorated with balloons and a "Congratulations" sign. The only thing we did not 100% like was our boat captain who admitted to us it was his first cruise ever and did not stop talking the whole night. He was a nice enough guy but we wanted to enjoy the fireworks and have a romantic night together. But all in all, what a great thing to do! Well worth the money!

Upvote 0

Kirstin's Mom

We've done both the Grand Gatherings Fireworks Voyage and the regular Wishes cruise. Both were wonderful and worth every penny. There's nothing better than your own "private" view of the fireworks, then not having to fight the crowds on Main St. afterwards!

Upvote 0

crazycalf

jazzzz said:
Does anyone know how much these cruises cost, is it per person or do you rent the boat for a flat fee.

it is a flat fee for the boat, I think up to 12 people. It is a little more than $100 but I dont' remember the exact amount. Also, they charge extra if you want to add drinks, food or decorations.

Upvote 0

Kirstin's Mom

The Grand Gatherings cruise was about $30 per person, the regular Wishes cruise is $120+ tax for the whole boat, which will hold about 10-12 people, depending on the # of adults and kids.

Upvote 0

tjmouse

Reports are that as of Oct. 1, there is a significant price increase. I have heard anywhere from $187 - $234. No more "driver only" cruises, now snacks will be provided for the base price and if you want decorations or a cake, it's more. I have also heard they have decreased the number of boats for Illuminations to 2 plus the Breathless and 5 for Wishes, but I have also heard the maximum is 8 people.

So, taking all that into consideration, I'd definately ask a lot of questions if you are lucky enough to reserve one.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Kirstin's Mom

Wow! Glad we did ours in May before the price increase! We're thinking of another Grand Gatherings one in December, it was so much fun, with our Pirate captain, quizzes on Disney trivia, prizes for the kids etc.

Upvote 0

MareSINY

My family did the Illuminations in September '04 and Wishes in March '05, which was also my nieces 4th birthday, so they decorated the boat with balloons and a birthday banner and they had a giant cake and sodas. It was really great. I really think it's the best way to see the fireworks, you avoid the crowds and get a tour of the area before the fireworks show. It's well worth the money.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Firework Specialty Cruises

Includes pontoon boat with a personal driver.
Various food and beverage options available (for additional cost) and Guests may not bring their own food, beverage, or coolers aboard. There is currently a 12 Guests maximum.

Pick Up Locations For Wishes Cruises:
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (Grand One Yacht cruise option)
Disney's Polynesian Resort
Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Pick Up Locations For IllumiNations Cruises:
Disney's BoardWalk Resort
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts (Breathless Runabout cruise option)

Prices start at $140.84 (plus tax) but subject to change.

For reservations call 407 WDW-PLAY (407-939-7529)

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

TimonRulz

We did the Illuminations cruise 2 years ago, and opted with the sandwiches and purchased chocolate covered strawberries (which the forgot to make and send to the boat). Then last year we did the Wishes one and opted for the sandwiches and strawberries (which they forgot to make us the sandwiches). We ended up not getting charged for the things that we didn't get. We are doing the Illuminations cruise again this year with just the sandwich/chips/drinks option, so hopefully third time's a charm!

I did enjoy both of them though. They take you out early to cruise around for a while. With the Wishes cruise, the fireworks are more in the distances, but still a great view. The Illuminations one, you get pretty close to them. You can smell the gunpowder. :)

All in all, its a great time, and yep, calling 90 days in advance when they open is the best bet for ya!

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Whoo-Hooo!!!! :sohappy: I got my cruise this morning!!!! I've been trying to book the Breathless Illuminations cruise for 4 years now. The first two years, it was being refurbed at the time of our trip, and last year, I called at the 6:58 AM, and it was already booked. :mad:

But this morning, she said it was available, so I got it!! I'm so happy. We finnaly get to do this on our anaversary. Like I said, we've been trying for years now. It's gonna be a great day.

I've got Kona Cafe for breakfast, we'll probebly do Rose and Crown for lunch, Flying Fish for dinner, and the evening will be topped off with Breathless and Illuminations. Should make for a very good day at Disney!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom