Fastpass+

Do you think fast pass plus is a good thing?

• yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Ivan Basso

Original Poster
I found out that they changed the way the fast passes work which im surprised about because I think that the fast passes were better before because it was fair for everybody and now its very unfair. Another bad thing about it is that it takes like 15 to 30 seconds for the thing to scan and also it takes a lot of time to get your fast passes booked but back then you just got them with one swipe that's it one full swipe.

I fully respect Disney's decision but never change anything that already works.

DisneyJoe

For the few trips that I've had since FP+ has been testing, I've had meetings in the morning, so the ability to make my FP+ reservations for the afternoon or evening made me very happy.

Also, the ability to change them during the day via the MDE app is very helpful.

Tom

Beta Return
We just returned from 6 days in the parks. We utilized FP+ to its fullest potential, and used the app and website to make changes to at least half of our Fastpasses. It was our goal to interact with the system as much as possible.

While there are definitely some downsides to the system, they are primarily subjective and are only seen as downsides to those of us who knew how to use the legacy system to its fullest potential. Gone are the days of getting multiple ToT FPs in a day, or using FP in more than one park on the same day (although I strongly believe we'll see these benefits added once the bugs are worked out).

But on the flip side, this was the first time we've ridden TSMM in several years. We're not early risers, and don't "rope drop", so we've never been able to get a TSMM FP by the time we've gotten to the Studios at 11am or so (or, the Return Time was very late in the day - well beyond when we'd still be in the park). This time, we rode TSMM as soon as we arrived, late morning, because we were able to reserve the time in advance.

Same thing for Peter Pan in the Magic Kingdom. We haven't ridden it in the past several trips simply because the line is always very long, and because we've never wanted to "waste" a FP on something other than an E-Ticket (since you could only hold 1 FP at a time previously). With the ability to have 3 FPs at the same time, and by visiting the MK more than once during our trip (which will be the case for 90% of multi-day guests), we felt as though it wasn't a "waste" to reserve a ride on Peter Pan.

Another HUGE advantage of the new system is the ability to change your plans at a moment's notice. For instance, it rained on Thursday from sunrise until early afternoon. We had planned to visit the MK and use three FPs that morning. When we realized Wednesday night that Thursday morning would be a wash-out and that we'd rather sleep in and go later, we hopped on the app and moved all three of our FPs to Thursday night - without a single problem.

We did the same thing Friday morning, when we realized Disney's (lack of) transportation was putting us VERY behind in our pre-departure plans. We had 3 FPs for MK, and since it took almost 2 hours to get from Epcot to MK, we scooted some of those FPs to a bit later, and even changed the experience for a couple (since all 3 weren't available at new times with an hour's notice).

All-in-all, the benefits I've outlined above more than offset the losses we personally feel we experienced by not having multiple or park-hopping FPs any more. And I can say that because I am confident that those perks will be added back into the system eventually. Once perfected, the system has infinite flexibility.

Also, the comments about it taking several seconds to process a Magic Band at the FP scanners - false. It may have been true when they were still REALLY testing the system, but never once did my wife or I have to hold our MB against the FP scanners for more than a second or two. And it was only ever 2 if we didn't have our band facing the right way and had to shift it. The only thing that takes a while for MBs to read is at the "turnstiles". It takes several seconds for the scanners to read the bands and fingerprints - and I really hope they work on that. It takes an unacceptably long time, which creates long waits at the park entrances.

Redhawk

We just returned from 6 days in the parks. We utilized FP+ to its fullest potential, and used the app and website to make changes to at least half of our Fastpasses. It was our goal to interact with the system as much as possible.

Thanks for your info, Tom. So many posters have been crying gloom, doom, and disaster for FP+ that it's nice to read a report from a very recent trip. I realize not everyone is happy because some legacy FP superusers feel "limited" in their use of FP (and I do understand their gripe, to an extent), but I think the majority will find FP+ quite useful once they fully understand how it works.

J061112C

The only thing that takes a while for MBs to read is at the "turnstiles". It takes several seconds for the scanners to read the bands and fingerprints - and I really hope they work on that. It takes an unacceptably long time, which creates long waits at the park entrances.

I don't think they take as long to read the bands as most people assume. I see many people holding the band up to the reader until the finger print reader starts flashing, then they continue to hold the band on the reader while trying to scan their prints. This is unnecessary and creates longer lines. My wife and I simply tap the reader with the band, remove it, and then put our fingers on the reader before it starts flashing. It reads fine and we are in much faster than most people.

LostPrincessKarleigh

As of today, I have not had a chance to use the new Fastpass system personally. However, I am veery excited to do so! I think the only problem I will have with it is the limitation to one park a day, which I am hoping will change in the future. We are avid park hoppers and a little upset about the limitation.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think they take as long to read the bands as most people assume. I see many people holding the band up to the reader until the finger print reader starts flashing, then they continue to hold the band on the reader while trying to scan their prints. This is unnecessary and creates longer lines. My wife and I simply tap the reader with the band, remove it, and then put our fingers on the reader before it starts flashing. It reads fine and we are in much faster than most people.

After our first park entry, we too figured out that the actions aren't sequential. I would actually put my finger down then touch the MB to the orb. Still took longer than I feel it should, and longer than FP scanning, which doesn't make sense because both actions are causing read/write database queries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom