FastPass...To A Headache!

MKforReal

Original Poster
Heh, forgive me, the title just sounded cool.

I do have concerns about this new FP+ system Disney's got goin here. You see, I am planning my first trip ever to WDW and thinking about the dining reservations being made 180 in advance is freaking me out. Now I have to decide when I want to go on a certain ride (time of day specific, no less) months in advance?? I would rather just decide at the parks when I see the queue line.

This isn't my ultimate concern, though.

I am worried that so many people are going to take advantage of this FP+ reservation, that I will go to the park, see hardly anyone in line and say to myself "Hey! Look, a short line! Let' go on!" only to still wait an hour because everyone else actually waiting for the ride..has a FP. This just bothers me. Am I concerned too much about this?

disney4life2008

Yes - but I feel your concern. Honestly, FP+ reservations are plentiful (at least in the current tests) through the day of. My suggestion is to secure your dining ressies - that is the utmost important. If you are staying at disney - you can make your FP+ ressies and play with them every day (I did that until my arrival day). Secure and confirm before day of - because day guests really well eat up the FP+ ressies.

Steve1005

I had those concerns too, but once I got down there it was actually really smooth sailing all week. If you have to use the kiosks over the app it might be a little annoying, but I would just change fast passes like crazy while I was in line for other things. And as far as the dining plan goes, the only problem I had was just as you said, I didnt like to have to be "here" at a certain time. So it was alot of looking at what time it is and planning instead of just not worrying about anything. Next time I go, I will probably stick to the QS plan. But all in all, the whole MB thing and fp+ system, in my opinion, was not bad one bit.

NormC

Was there last week. Everything worked great. All of our FP+ worked. We only did QS dining plan so did not have to worry about reservations. I was able to snag a BOG and a Boma res though and had a great time.

jlsHouston

Honestly, I don't think anyone can speak as to the the lines and availability yet for FP+ until we get into some busy days at the parks. Last quarter 2013 FP+ was being tested but legacy was working with it so everyone was getting bonuses and for the most park I did not find any problem scheduling a FP+ day of for Soaring at 2 in the afternoon same day whereas the legacy FP was out by then. Same for TSMM.
Now enter January, a slow season, legacy is removed and guests are all directed to use FP+. Everyone reporting back are getting their selections using FP+ for the most part and not experiencing too many issues getting on rides using stand by lines.
But the parks aren't packed.
Like to see how this weekend plays out and definitely I will see for myself how the lines compare over spring break which is suppose to be rated a 10 for crowds...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I do have concerns about this new FP+ system Disney's got goin here. You see, I am planning my first trip ever to WDW and thinking about the dining reservations being made 180 in advance is freaking me out. Now I have to decide when I want to go on a certain ride (time of day specific, no less) months in advance?? I would rather just decide at the parks when I see the queue line.

I am worried that so many people are going to take advantage of this FP+ reservation, that I will go to the park, see hardly anyone in line and say to myself "Hey! Look, a short line! Let' go on!" only to still wait an hour because everyone else actually waiting for the ride..has a FP. This just bothers me. Am I concerned too much about this?
They have estimated wait times for standby lines. Nothing really new from the old FP as far as standby wait times.

roj2323

I'm really beginning to wonder how many of the people talking about fastpass+ have actually experienced it.

My personal experience with FP+ (3 occasions now) has been long lines in front of attractions (in the sun), lines to get the fastpasses which require cast assistance, lines that don't move because people don't get that you can't show up 15 minutes early or late and just get in (they stand there arguing with cast), LINES LINES LINES Oh and you basically have to have a cellphone or paper and pen to remember your FP times. This is the short list mind you.

Again i'll repeat: the old system was great because it was simple. This new system is too complicated to keep a park visit relaxing in my opinion.

Steve1005

I did like the old system better. (Only had a chance to use it once or twice, but still better) i will agree with the fact that I went at a super slow time of the year as well, but I still stand behind what I said. I didnt have any issues with it. Granted it was my first experience with it, maybe I need to get in the thick of it at a busy time to really see how good or bad it is.
I will also agree that there will be tons of problems with the idiots of our society as well. Like the post above me, I did notice a few people trying to use fp+ either too early or too late and slowing up the line for the rest of us. The worst actual thing I saw all week was people not getting into the park in the first place! Its really not rocket science to tap the band on the mouse then put your finger on the pad is it? my daughter is 8 and she pretty much had it down after the first day. (Minus the fingerprint)
So yea, my personal experience, it was fine. Pretty much as smooth as I could have ever thought. During the summer seasons? Don't know.

jlsHouston

The old FP could put a guest from the point of entry to immersed in the ride in 10 minutes or less. As long as FP+ can do that I think we will all adjust our touring plans enough and accept it as the replacement to legacy. But if guests have to wait 30 minutes to an hour to select FP+ at kiosks, then experience long delays in the FP line for their ride frequently, and also find the FP+ choice not available and running out earlier than what those same rides did under legacy ...nobody is going to warm up to FP+

roj2323

The worst actual thing I saw all week was people not getting into the park in the first place! Its really not rocket science to tap the band on the mouse then put your finger on the pad is it?

People don't realize the reader can do both your card and finger at the same time. Also getting the Mickey to read the magic bands proves to be difficult for some because it has to be lined up just right. The Mickey readers at the park entrance also seem to be much slower than the fastpass Mickeys all though I'm not sure why.

durangojim

I'm really beginning to wonder how many of the people talking about fastpass+ have actually experienced it.

My personal experience with FP+ (3 occasions now) has been long lines in front of attractions (in the sun), lines to get the fastpasses which require cast assistance, lines that don't move because people don't get that you can't show up 15 minutes early or late and just get in (they stand there arguing with cast), LINES LINES LINES Oh and you basically have to have a cellphone or paper and pen to remember your FP times. This is the short list mind you.

Again i'll repeat: the old system was great because it was simple. This new system is too complicated to keep a park visit relaxing in my opinion.
I experienced it for 5 days in January and found it to be great. It was the first trip where I wasn't the FP runner, where I could get to DHS an hour or two after opening and still have FPs for Midway Mania, and I LOVED the ability to change FPs on the fly with my phone. All in all it was one of the least stressful trips at WDW I've been on even though we rode more rides than usuaI and that was because of FP+.

Steve1005

People don't realize the reader can do both your card and finger at the same time. Also getting the Mickey to read the magic bands proves to be difficult for some because it has to be lined up just right. The Mickey readers at the park entrance also seem to be much slower than the fastpass Mickeys all though I'm not sure why.
From my week of experience, I had no trouble with the entry. I had my band on a little loose and just turned it perfectly to the Mickey and it worked every time.
And to a point I can see one real good advantage to fp+ in the fact that if you schedule a fp then get over there and see a 15 minute stand by line, you can change it on the fly while waiting that little bit to get on. I probably did that 10 times easy last week. At least its easier to walking to the old kiosks at the attraction to get a different one. But like I said earlier, I only used the old system maybe twice. I still remember having to actually stand in line for everything! Lol

Rob562

The Mickey readers at the park entrance also seem to be much slower than the fastpass Mickeys all though I'm not sure why.

It's simply a matter of the size of the database each is working from. A FP+ pole only has to check the person against the list of people who have an active and valid FP+ for that ride at that exact moment, a list that won't be more than a few hundred at any one time. On that list? Green. Not on that list? Blue.

Contrast that with the entrance posts who have to look each person up in a database of millions of potentially active tickets, check for active days, check the fingerprint, subtract a day...and you're bound to have more of a lag.

-Rob

jlsHouston

Yah, I had issues with my AP card this summer...The old turnstyles were never the fastest so I don't see how we can expect the new mickey ones using the bands to be any quicker....

Like I mentioned, I never expereinced any issue in the parks using my bands for FP+ ( I had 2 because I split my stay). I had all sorts of MB issues at the 2nd resort, but that had nothing to do with FP+. Overall I think there is a lot of convenience with this new system but we just aren't going to know until the parks get busier as to whether it really improves our experience at the parks or changes it to the point we feel cheated and delayed.

Betsyboo

I'd just make sure to have your ADRs done. I know it seems like a lot but really it's easy to make the online reservation and it's much better than getting there and not finding a place with openings. If the FP+ is bothering just wait until your there although since you can make them ahead and change them it's the best option. Good luck.

CheshireCat12

Was there last week. Everything worked great. All of our FP+ worked. We only did QS dining plan so did not have to worry about reservations. I was able to snag a BOG and a Boma res though and had a great time.
I agree. Just returned and our MagicBand FP+ went off perfectly, as did the room key and charging capabilities. It was very smooth and easy to use. I noticed some people had trouble lining up the Mickeys but not us. It was SO nice to arrive at a park and not have to run for paper Fastpasses. Made everything more relaxing.
I would advise that anyone who books on-property should do their FP+ ahead of time. I didn't change anything on the fly but I didn't need to. Don't let the long FP+ return lines scare you. I was worried too but then I saw that once you scan in, you go right into a very short wait.

Last edited:

Steve1005

Pretty much sounds like how my trip was to the T. I didnt charge anything to the band, but it was so simple and perfect for me all week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom