Fastpass+ Strategy - Offsite Guest

MamaBearNE

Original Poster
So I am currious to any advise people may have. My husband and I will be at WDW in a week. We went 5 years ago and had good luck with paper fast passes. We go during off season so we would only get 1 or 2 as most lines are short. Next week will be slow, but a few of the better rides will still have a wait, particularlly TSMM.

If we are there for rope drop at HS, how should we proceed? Go straight to a kiosk and get a FP+ for TSMM? Do you HAVE to pick 2 other rides? Say we are at the kiosk at 9:10, will we be able to pick a fast pass time at 10:00 assuming demand is low.

I am not sure how to use this new system as an offsite guest to improve our trip. In the past we would have grabbed a paper fast pass to TSMM, then road RRC and ToT and go back. Finishing the top 3 rides in time for lunch. Then hit the less popular rides after lunch as crowds increase. At rope drop is it still realistic to get just one fastpass+ for a top ride?

Thanks!!!

Brian Noble

I'm not sure I'd count on short kiosk lines first thing in the morning. I *think* what I might do is get there *plenty* early, rope drop TSMM, then head to Coaster/Tower to see if their lines are reasonable. I might not go to a kiosk until those three are in the rear-view mirror and/or their lines got longer than I was willing to wait.

MamaBearNE

Original Poster
Thanks Brian, That is the game plan now, scurry right to TSMM at rope drop, then back to RRC and ToT hoping the lines haven't gotten to big, avoiding FP+ altogether. (A long line to us off season visitors is 40 minutes, haha)

I am trying to figure out how to use FP+ to improve our trip. In the past going straight to the #1 ride and grabbing a FP would save us 20-30 minutes in that one line. I am not seeing any net gain after standing in line to use the FP+ kiosk.

Now I am sure people will say we are lucky to have such short lines (I agree) and that FP+ wasn't designed for the off season, but the old FP did have value and saved us time in the past. FP+ based on my limited knowledge now does not.

It would have value if we stayed onsite and could prebook and not worry about kiosk lines, which I guess could be just as Disney planned.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I would head directly for TSM. The kiosks will be crowded all day, so hit what you can as early as you can. Yes, you must make 3 in a day. For Studios, I would do either TSM or R'nC for the first tier (do NOT do Fantasmic) and TofT and Star Tours as your second tier. Keep in mind that R'nC has a singles line. It doesn't post a wait time, but generally you can eyeball it. If it's out the door by a little, it's probably a 30 minute wait. We waited 40 minutes in singles last trip on a crowded day and then 20 minutes on a noncrowded day. You will most likely be separated (we weren't on the first try, but that's unusual). So hit TSM, then TofT, and the RnC singles. Then you can go to a kiosk and get your FP+s for the rest of the day.
Now I am sure people will say we are lucky to have such short lines (I agree) and that FP+ wasn't designed for the off season, but the old FP did have value and saved us time in the past. FP+ based on my limited knowledge now does not.
You are 100% right about that and it is why this new system frustrates so many of us.

MamaBearNE

Original Poster
I would head directly for TSM. The kiosks will be crowded all day, so hit what you can as early as you can. Yes, you must make 3 in a day. For Studios, I would do either TSM or R'nC for the first tier (do NOT do Fantasmic) and TofT and Star Tours as your second tier. Keep in mind that R'nC has a singles line. It doesn't post a wait time, but generally you can eyeball it. If it's out the door by a little, it's probably a 30 minute wait. We waited 40 minutes in singles last trip on a crowded day and then 20 minutes on a noncrowded day. You will most likely be separated (we weren't on the first try, but that's unusual). So hit TSM, then TofT, and the RnC singles. Then you can go to a kiosk and get your FP+s for the rest of the day.

You are 100% right about that and it is why this new system frustrates so many of us.

Thanks for the reply. I am bummed as it appears Disney has basically taken away FP, FP+, whatever, as an option in my situation. Maybe I will find out otherwise when we are there. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From the reports we have gotten from AK and now MK the kiosk lines were not too bad. I think someone said if you avoid the first kiosks right as you enter the park and hit another kiosk further in then the lines were minimal. You could also use a FP+ runner to head to a kiosk while the rest get in the standby line at TSMM. I think there is a kiosk at Voyage of LM which is pretty close to Pixar Place.

TSMM is a bit of a mystery. A lot of reservations will already be made by on property guests. Could still be no problem or could be sold out. We won't know until the system rolls out. If you can't get it then I would suggest RNRC from tier 1 and ToT and any other ride for tier 2. Outside of TSMM and RNRC there won't be anything with more than a 20 minute wait due to off peak crowds.

The Fort

So I am currious to any advise people may have. My husband and I will be at WDW in a week. We went 5 years ago and had good luck with paper fast passes. We go during off season so we would only get 1 or 2 as most lines are short. Next week will be slow, but a few of the better rides will still have a wait, particularlly TSMM.

If we are there for rope drop at HS, how should we proceed? Go straight to a kiosk and get a FP+ for TSMM? Do you HAVE to pick 2 other rides? Say we are at the kiosk at 9:10, will we be able to pick a fast pass time at 10:00 assuming demand is low.

I am not sure how to use this new system as an offsite guest to improve our trip. In the past we would have grabbed a paper fast pass to TSMM, then road RRC and ToT and go back. Finishing the top 3 rides in time for lunch. Then hit the less popular rides after lunch as crowds increase. At rope drop is it still realistic to get just one fastpass+ for a top ride?

Thanks!!!

We visited HS on Tuesday. My advice would be to ride Toy Story then visit kiosk at Little Mermaid.

dreamfinder

Can anyone post where the kiosks are located or point me in that direction?

Just look for the big FP+ Kisok sandwich boards, and the CMs in blue shirts carrying iPads. I know they had some at Sid's, as well as some at the ToT FP area down on Sunset. Also saw plenty around TSM, but that was when the ride was down all day.

rct247

• Arrive at the park early like you used to for rope drop to go get your Fastpasses, but instead, go visit the attractions instead.
  • After you get a ride or two in (while everyone else stand in line for a kiosk first thing in the morning), pick a FP+ Kiosk in the back of the park or in a less busy area.
  • If you are park hopping, only make your FP+ selections for the park you plan to spend the majority of your day or where you plan to spend your time from 11pm to 7pm as that is the busiest time of day.
  • Always use your total amount of FP+ entitlements even if you don't use them all. If you don't pick three, you won't get those entitlements back if you need them. Remember, you can always modify your FP+ choices later based on what is available.
  • Try to make your selections based on what lines are historically the longest AND which ones have the most boring queues to wait in. You might find that a 45 min wait in one line may be more tolerable and enjoyable than a 45min wait in another.
  • Take advantage of non peak times for shorter waits. It's not so much planning your day as just knowing how to enjoy the park smarter.
  • Also remember which popular attractions have Single Rider lines as these may also help plan your FP+ picks better.
  • Avoid picking shows, parades, and spectaculars to use your FP+ pick to their full time saving potential.
  • Change/Modify a FP+ choice if the wait is tolerable for you. Check other wait times throughout the day to see if better opportunities arise.

Best Options for Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Peter Pan's Flight
Best Options for Epcot: Soarin', Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth
Best Options for Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Midway Mania, Tower of Terror, Star Tours
Best Options for Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris

stevehousse

Best advice I can give is to not go to the very first FP kiosk you see! Everyone in the park will head there right away and lines can form quickly! Go to any other one and u should have a very short wait if at all to use the machine and still be able to get your picks in that u want!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom