Fastpass+ review from my recent trip to WDW

kltam00

Original Poster
I just recently returned from a week long trip to WDW and since I have basically been a reader of all the info shared my all of you over the years, I'd like to finally share some information about using fastpass+ in it's current state at WDW.

I will not say this new fastpass system is a failure, but it definately needs some tweeking. If you stay offsite like I recently did, your not going to get fastpasses to the more popular attractions. Example; on our day we visited HS, it was not a magic hours day and we arrived at 9:45 to the kiosk station after the park opened at 9:00. We could no longer get FPs for TSM, RR or HTT. CMs will not say "fastpasses are no longer available" because reservations for these attractions can be cancelled at any time throughout the day. YEAH RIGHT! This is a huge unfair advantage to those staying off property or "day passers".

We experienced other similiar issues at the other parks as well. In AK, all fastpasses for EE were gone, but we did get lucky to get KS. In MK, everyday was a new experience. We never got fastpasses for BTM or Peter Pan. In Epcot, we did get fastpasses for Soarin, so we got lucky there. Bottom line, if your staying on grounds and can book your fastpasses in advance, DO IT!

On the positive side, I also think Disney is struggling to acurately track time spent in line. Many times we stood in lines for rides that said, 60 minutes, but only waited 40-45 minutes. Sometimes even less than that, 20-30 minutes. Other attractions that used to basically be walk-ons (at least when i go) are now 40-45 minute waits - Small World, HM, etc. I think Disney is spreading out the crowds with this new system, basically forcing you to ride the attractions you might normally skip, or would ride every other year, like me.

Even talking with people who had magic bands, I heard mixed reviews. Some loved it, said the app worked awesome, no issues. Others said it was horrific, their bands kept failing, could not get linked properly, etc. I did see CM's haning out paper fastpasses whenever an issue occurred, so Disney clearly recognizes that issues are present and preventing us from having our "Magical" vacation.

Hope this helps.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thanks for the update. It seems not much has changed over the last 2 months in regards to longer lines for attractions that used to be walk-on. Did you see any lines at FP+ entrance? How were the lines for the kiosks?

If FP's were gone for TSMM, HTT, and RnR by 9:45 am, it seems like all those who keep saying the new system is more fair for everyone are wrong. Its understandable though because in a park like HS thats lacking attractions people are going to swallow up the FP's for the big attractions quickly.

I dont see how Disney is going to fix anything by peak season which is right around the corner. I have a feeling we are going to see some crazy pictures of lines by mid summer or earlier.

sissa216

Thanks for the update. It definitely still needs work, but I think it has the potential to make things very convenient and streamlined. I agree that offsite guests are at a huge disadvantage right now.

Violiav

I wonder if part of the problem comes from incorrectly using fast past? Using them for times that they probably shouldn't. Or that there is a learning curve/training period for guests?
For example,in December my work switched to an automated phone system. The residents (I work for a leasing company) hated it. Said they could never get anyone. The menu was confusing, etc. It's just a matter of training people that it's ok to just dial the extension. Yet people still come in and say it doesn't work. But it works. I whip out my phone and show them.
Is it possible that people got SO used to fastpass and scheduling everything that by having only 3 scheduled times they don't know what to do with their time? That they got so used to NOT waiting in lines that lines are abhorrent to them now?
That they mentally linked fast pass as being they only way to get on rides? That what it sort of seems like to me. Just based on some of the wording used on here. "and we pick our 3 rides." or "you ONLY get 3 rides"
Like dude, that's just not the case. Sometimes you just gotta wait in a line. Maybe chill for a bit and talk to your line neighbors.
I really don't get it. Why come to a place that -you (not you, but a general you) know- is crowded during a time that's crowded if you don't like crowds? There's a time and place for crowds and theme parks are that place.

kltam00

Original Poster
Thanks for the update. It seems not much has changed over the last 2 months in regards to longer lines for attractions that used to be walk-on. Did you see any lines at FP+ entrance? How were the lines for the kiosks?

If FP's were gone for TSMM, HTT, and RnR by 9:45 am, it seems like all those who keep saying the new system is more fair for everyone are wrong. Its understandable though because in a park like HS thats lacking attractions people are going to swallow up the FP's for the big attractions quickly.

I dont see how Disney is going to fix anything by peak season which is right around the corner. I have a feeling we are going to see some crazy pictures of lines by mid summer or earlier.

No long lines at the FP+ entrances. If there was a line, it was because someone was returning at the wrong time or not knowing how to scan their bands or cards properly, or not having them ready. Now the lines at the kiosks were crazy, sometimes as long as 45 minutes. But by lunch time, you could walk up to any kiosk to attempt to make changes.

The new system is not fair to everyone. At least not yet.

Christhegr8

If you can't get fast passes for RnR during peak season, you better enjoy waiting 2 hours. That would be disappointing if they cannot figure something out for rides like that.

Redhawk

Currently it IS one of the peak seasons, right? I can imagine that in previous times fast passes for the most popular rides were also gone quite early in the day.

disneygirl1024

Fair warning.... I had fast passes today for MK And used one and since I did use one I was unable to cancel the rest and get new ones for another park. The CM Told me once you use one in that particular park you are "locked in" at that park until those expire. He said they are trying to fix it. Yeah right. You know the saying about the check's In the mail....

Christhegr8

Currently it IS one of the peak seasons, right? I can imagine that in previous times fast passes for the most popular rides were also gone quite early in the day.

Not as early as they are running out now! Used to be about a 2-4 hour wait between when you got your fast pass for RnR and when you can ride. If the FPs are running out before 10am that means if you are lucky enough to get on for RnR then it would be like 6-9 hours.

Redhawk

When we've been in low-crowd times, IF we were lucky enough to pull a FP for ToyStoryMM around 11 a.m., the return time was usually 5 p.m. or later. (RnR FPs were available until late in the day and usually had return times within an hour or 90 mins.) Looks like more people are making use of FP now that they can select them online or at kiosks.

Kuzcotopia

FP+ run out early? A lot of people have been predicting this during peak seasons.

While I will be staying on property, and have that advantage of 60 days out, I'm not happy because I won't be able to meaningfully make adjustments on the fly (unless I want to change my Splash FP to the teacups or something equally stupid).

I like to plan, but this is really too much.

GeekDad

The new system is not fair to everyone. At least not yet.
I don't think Disney is trying to make it fair for everyone. They are purposefully giving an advantage to their resort quests. Is Universals's system fair to those that don't buy their special pass to skip the lines?

sjhym333

"FP+ run out early? A lot of people have been predicting this during peak seasons."

But this really isn't much different then Legacy FP was during very busy days. Whether it is FP+ or Legacy FP there are only so many FP's to go around on a busy day. Planning early ensures that you will get what you want. I remember when I would say that Legacy FP was unfair because if I decided to sleep in on my vacation I was unable to get a FP for a popular ride. Lots of people came back with its fair and you had as much a chance as anyone if you got up and got to the park. The same holds true for FP+. If someone wants to do Test Track and they understand when their window opens then they probably need to go ahead and make that FP+ reservation.

One thing I will add. Since I am local and tend to go to the parks at the last minute I have found that availability changes on a moments notice. Because guests are constantly changing plans, or changing their park choice or decide to leave the park early or whatever there are FP's opening up all the time. It was a Kiosk CM who told me that if you keep checking availability something usually opens up for what you want. I was in the park a couple of weeks back and wanted to change a FP to another popular attraction, the CM just stood there and refreshed his screen and after a minute a time appeared that worked in my day.[/QUOTE]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom