FASTPASS as a resort Perk

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
NOTICE: I am just throwing this out for discussion. To my knowledge this isn't even being considered.

I was just reading another thread about suprise FastPass and it occurred to me that Disney could take another approach to the FastPass system that would benefit resort guests only.

The premise would be that you put FastPass computers in each of the resorts that are capable of issuing passes for any ride at any park. As a resort guest, you get to pick one or two FastPass destinations and possilby even the time of day you would like to utilize the Pass. This would be done primarily in the mornings before you depart your hotel or the night before. With even more complicated software, it might even be possible to pick your one or two fastpasses for each day at the beginning of your stay.

Then as a resort guest, you get the advantage of knowing exactly when to be at your most favorite attraction and minimize your wait at that attraction not only for the que line but also no waiting to get a FastPass only to find out it will be three hours before you can ride the ride.

I would think that this would be advantageous to Disney too because they would better be able to judge demand for a given day for a ride and maybe even staff it differently to provide excellent guest satisfaction.

This is just a thought and I sure would like to know what everyone thinks.

DanStat

Good Idea

I was thinking of mentioning this to Disney. I think it's a great idea, and it would bring people to stay in the Disney Resorts.

I think it would be the best perk since Early Entry!

dizpins14

I think this would become to compicated and unfair to regular guests because of there being so many people staying at resorts. I personnaly think Annual Passholders should get a bonus fastpass feature like allowing an annual passholder to pick up 2 fastpasses with in the two hour time limit except one. There are a think a lot of perks for resort guests and not too many for annual passholders because much of the perks overlap. What's the point of having the annual passholder perks if when you stay at a resort you and all the other hundreds of thousands of people staying on property get the same benifets. After awhile they aren't benifets.

DanStat

Originally posted by dizpins14
I think this would become to compicated and unfair to regular guests because of there being so many people staying at resorts. I personnaly think Annual Passholders should get a bonus fastpass feature like allowing an annual passholder to pick up 2 fastpasses with in the two hour time limit except one. There are a think a lot of perks for resort guests and not too many for annual passholders because much of the perks overlap. What's the point of having the annual passholder perks if when you stay at a resort you and all the other hundreds of thousands of people staying on property get the same benifets. After awhile they aren't benifets.

I don't have an annual pass, but I don't like that idea.

You guys have your own merchandise! Don't complain! :lol:

jmarc63

First I would like to mention that I think the Pastpass has some merit but I doubt that it would happen.

I have a question for anyone who can answer this. I have only been to WDW as a resort guest staying at one of the Disney owned resorts. As a resort guest you get the credit card sized combo resort ID/room key/multi-day card. I know that in the past the regular Day Guest/milti-day media was a hard card ticket that was larger than the credit card dementions.

My question is what do the regular day guest media look like and does the turnstyles and FP have two seperate readers for the diffrent sized media?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
FastPass system that would benefit resort guests only.

Get Real !!!!

What do you want - a two tier park ????
Restaurants for Resort Guests only,
Transportation for Resort Guests only,
Rides for Resort Guests only,
All none resort guests to walk around ringing a bell ???

What about all those visitors who live in and around Orlando - its not practical to stay at WDW - are you discriminating against them ?
What about all those visitors who can't afford to stay on site, or whose party size is too big to be cost effective to stay on site ?

WDW is a park for ALL the people and as such ALL visitors should have the opportunity to utilise ALL its facilities.

RandeB

Uh oh

Before this thread turns ugly, there are precedents for resort guest only benefits. Early entry, extra magic hour as it's called now, E Ride nights, guaranteed park entry during crowded times are all perks they've offered recently or currently. I don't think Disney needs to offer another complication to the fastpass system now. I wouldn't mind a "Master Fastpass" machine near the entrance of each park so you wouldn't have to constantly be crossing the parks, but I can just imagine how confusing it would be for the average non-WDW obsessed visitors to figure out.

As for the ticket question, you now get a ticket that is pretty much like the room key, except you get a character on it. (They used to be made out of a more flexible material, a type of cardboard. This year they were the credit card type. They made my wallet huge when I had 11 of them tucked away while fetching Fastpasses). You can see them on ebay if you enter "Disney World Tickets" and find such auctions as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1941336279

(Am I allowed to post that?)

You can also find them at your nearby Disney Store in the US anyway.

So there's now no need for different readers, which didn't seem to be needed with the older tickets anyway.

DanStat

Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Get Real !!!!

Transportation for Resort Guests only,

What about all those visitors who live in and around Orlando - its not practical to stay at WDW - are you discriminating against them ?
What about all those visitors who can't afford to stay on site, or whose party size is too big to be cost effective to stay on site ?

WDW is a park for ALL the people and as such ALL visitors should have the opportunity to utilise ALL its facilities.

Universal Orlando does it.

jmarc63

Re: Uh oh

Originally posted by RandeB
Before this thread turns ugly, there are precedents for resort guest only benefits. Early entry, extra magic hour as it's called now, E Ride nights, guaranteed park entry during crowded times are all perks they've offered recently or currently. I don't think Disney needs to offer another complication to the fastpass system now. I wouldn't mind a "Master Fastpass" machine near the entrance of each park so you wouldn't have to constantly be crossing the parks, but I can just imagine how confusing it would be for the average non-WDW obsessed visitors to figure out.

As for the ticket question, you now get a ticket that is pretty much like the room key, except you get a character on it. (They used to be made out of a more flexible material, a type of cardboard. This year they were the credit card type. They made my wallet huge when I had 11 of them tucked away while fetching Fastpasses). You can see them on ebay if you enter "Disney World Tickets" and find such auctions as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1941336279

(Am I allowed to post that?)

You can also find them at your nearby Disney Store in the US anyway.

So there's now no need for different readers, which didn't seem to be needed with the older tickets anyway.

Thanks rande....

The last time I was at WDW was back in the fall of '93 and at that time the milti-days were more squared and made of a hard paper and they had a place to stamp the media with the current use date and I thought there was a reader for thoes bvut maybe they were just visually checked because they needed to be stamped by a CM, were as with us we just inserted our room key/park media into the turnstyle.

I was pleasantly supprised by the change in '93 with the elimination of the metal door key which when we stayed at the Contempoary in the '70 was huge compared to you standard house key in thoes days and the head was shaped like the tower with the Contempoary logo predded into the key. It was nice to not have to carry any keys. now all you need in WDW is to get one of thoed ID carriers like the colledge kids use and take your Resort ID and DL for the drinking establishments and some folding money .

dizpins14

Resorts have their own merchandise
plus AP stuff sucks except the pins
and Universal only has only 2 hotels compaired to Disney's 19, I think...correct me if I'm wrong
that's definatly going to cause problems because a regular guest would have no control over if they get a fast pass or not or how long the stand-by line is going to be. At least now a regular guest has control over that by getting to the park early

RPMdfw

Re: Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
Universal Orlando does it.

And Six Flags over Texas offers a virtual line service that you have to pay for. That doesn't mean I want to see it in the Disney Parks.

I'd like to think that Disney sets the standard for such things and doesn't "follow the crowd". The fact that Six Flags or Universal restrict who can use these services shows Disney's superiority in my eyes.

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Get Real !!!!

Its just a benefit, just like florida resident discounts or early entry or E-ride.
The restaurants at the resorts are mainly intended for resort guests only. It is an added benefit to non-resort guests that they can make reservations at them.
Transportation for Resort Guests only
With the exception of buses that go from park to park, the monorail to epcot, and the ferry boats. All transportation is for resort guests only. Thats why Disney discontinued Transportaiton from The Ticket Center to Downtown Disney early this year. Resort guest weren't riding that bus. Hotel Plaza Blvd guests were abusing it.
These are the E-ride nites at the Magic Kingdom
This would get a little noisy
Discrimination is a pretty strong word. And Discrimination it is not. Corporations call it value added. When you pay $100 or more a night to stay on property at Disney, it is not unreasonable to expect a few extras.
The answer here is clearly apparent. These folks would not be resort guests. Therefore they get FastPass's just like every other non resort guests. It is similar to those folks who dont get to enjoy early entry because they are not at a Disney or Disney Good Neighbor Resort.
All guest would be getting to use all facilities. They only exception now or in the future would be Resort guest specific perks.Disney is not the social service agency that provides magic and happiness to all those in need. Its an entertainment venue and as such people who pay higher prices usually get more benfits. You want the best seats at a concert, pro-sports event, or play you pay for them. You cant sit in the 80 dollar seats very long with a 30 dollar ticket at a concert.

Pioneer Hall

When you book a Disneyland vacation through AAA they give each person in the party blank fastpasses that they can use at any attraction at anytime during their stay. If the resorts were to do anything, it would have to be like that. They couldn't allow resort guests to get them whenever they want, but the they could offer us one freebie. But, like someone said...Disney has 18 (soon to be 19) resorts. That is a lot of people that would be getting fastpasses. It probably wouldn't work out. Let's just be happy that the fastpass system is there and that it is free for everyone to use.

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
Just as clarification:

I wasn't talking about limiting fastpass to only resort guests. From reading some of the post I think a few people have gotten that idea.

My point was to offer "advanced" or "VIP" fastpasses to resorts guests.

DanStat

Re: Re: Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

Originally posted by RPMdfw
And Six Flags over Texas offers a virtual line service that you have to pay for. That doesn't mean I want to see it in the Disney Parks.

I'd like to think that Disney sets the standard for such things and doesn't "follow the crowd". The fact that Six Flags or Universal restrict who can use these services shows Disney's superiority in my eyes.

Aren't tickets at Disney higher than those of Six Flags? I'm sure FastPass is in there somewhere.

Pioneer Hall

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

Aren't tickets at Disney higher than those of Six Flags? I'm sure FastPass is in there somewhere.

Our Six Flags costs 47 + tax per day to enter (it also includes safari though). But that is on the lines of Disney. They charge 20 bucks (or maybe more) for their Fast Lane system. Like I said I am happy that Fastpass is free because it is a system that Disney could have made a lot of money off of.

RPMdfw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FASTPASS as a resort Perk

True, but Disney doesn't turn around and charge even more for the ability to use the virtual line. Six Flags does.

jcrb

I think it would be cool to give more special privileges to resort guest. Resort guest pay high prices. It times to make the guest feel like there getting a good deal.

______
Note- I already know guest get other service - I've stayed a Disney at least 100 times.
______

Nineinchnailsmk

actually, i was thinking that would be a good idea. What really would be cool is if you keep the existing fastpass, but put in computers in the hotels which allow the people to select their own fastpass ride and time they wish to ride. however, if people really want to ride a ride at say...3 oclock, and the puter reads a lot of 3 o clock ride times, then the puter could suggest other times. stuff like that. this would give the resort guests a significant advantage. These puters would only be accessible to card carrying resort holders (ie, using youre room card to access the puter...

what do ya think?

(or has this been mentioned...)

as for the two tier thing.....its CHEAP to stay on site......heck i paid 400 for 4 nights at the port orleans riverside...

TURKEY

I think this is a bad idea that wouldn't really work.

You have 18 resorts. It seems that each resort would have this ability. I assume that you would have to all of the resorts, the parks, and the in-park FP linked together.

I see several problems with this. I'll explain in detail if you can't see some of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom