FastPass+ and the Single Rider

Astrovern

Original Poster
I've been visting WDW on (at least) an annual basis for about the last 10 years. Over that time I had developed a strategy and plan of attack for each park and considered myself to be a power user of the old Fastpass system. So it was with some trepidation that I approached my most recent vacation and my first use of FP+. I was extremely apprehensive about how useable the new system would be for me, even though the restrictions of 3 FP+ per day and no park hopping were lifted in the weeks leading up to the vacation.

In total I spent 3 days in the WDW parks (it used to be 5, then 4, but now 3 seems to be sufficient) and on 2 of those days I took regular screen snapshots of my phone of my FP+ uses. I've edited these snapshots togther and attached them below as an example of what can be achieved if you are prepared to work the system. These are of course just the FP+'s, other attractions were ridden subject to the posted wait times or how busy the attractions appeared to be.

In order to try and take full advantage of the FP+ system, my approach was to try and use each FP+ soon after the start of the 5 minute grace period that precedes the official alloted timeslot.
After riding the attraction I would then get another FP+ from a kiosk as soon as possible. Sometimes I had a specific attraction in mind, but if that wasn't available I'd select a suitable alternative. Immediately on leaving the kiosk I would them attempt to use the phone app to either bring forward the timeslot or change the attraction. It could take several attempts, but on the whole I found it very easy to end up with a more desirable attraction or a far superior timeslot (and it was suprising just how often that timeslot was "now"). I'm guessing that the ease with which I was able to do this was because, as a Single Rider, I was picking up the dregs and leftovers in the system. It's probably also the reason why at 6:44pm on May 31st I managed to get the 6:45pm FP+ for 7DMT - it had started off as a 9:50pm FP+ for BTMR obtained from a kiosk only 4 minutes earlier.

One bug I did discover in the app occurred during the 24hr Party (not captured in the attachment). Any FP+ that had a timeslot that was after midnight couldn't be changed in anyway whatsoever via the app. The way it was behaving suggested that it couldn't understand the concept of a "tomorrow" that was in reality a continuation of "today".

In conclusion, I've got to say, I loved FP+. As a Single Rider I felt that I was really able to exploit the system and obtain far more FPs than under the old system. On the downside, it kills your feet.

Attachments

• FastPassPlus.jpg
    FastPassPlus.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 90

JohnD

Yep. It's the addition of the "4th" FP+ that really makes the system work.

Before that, all the complaints of having only three were understandable. Adding at the kiosks is the flexibility that was desperately needed.

WDF

The ability for the system to "know" that a FP+ has been used and thus allow you to immediately get another one is an advantage this system has over the old paper FPs. You can overlap the arrival windows with ease most of the time. Even within your first three. Once you have used the first one, you can go in the app and try to move the second one up, and so on and so on, etc. (It won't allow overlapping times when you initially book the first three.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom