Fast Pass

lilnps

Original Poster
I read an article on Screamscape that Universal Studios dropped their version of the Fastpass and you now have to pay $5-50$ to get a pass to go to the front of the lines. What is everyone's thought on this. I've seen this idea before and it seems to turn people away from the Fastpass idea. Also, could disney start doing this. I highly doubt it,but you never know.New things pop up on these msg boards everyday.

napnet

I doubt Disney would do the same thing. Fast Pass works really well. I have tried other systems like at Six Flags and they were just worthless and you had to pay! The only thing i could think they might do is allow those staying in their resorts an extra fast pass.

Fast Pass is good for business... when you are in line, you are not shopping or eating. With Fast Pass you can go eat or shop and make the mouse more money.

psuchad

I was there May 2003 and people were getting Universal Express passes for hours later in the day. Problem was all the rides were walk ons. Longest wait was 30 minutes on Hulk.

Not sure what it has been like since but at least when I was there they seemed pointless.

matthope03

I would not expect disney to follow in universals footsteps and drop the whole fastpass thing or even make you pay for it. Universal was not able to have a successful fastpass system like disney because disney has it patented. So universal had to come up with something that would not interfere with the patents and quite frankly it sucked. The reason they are making people pay for them now is since disney does not charge for their fastpasses it is different enough in that aspect to avoid infringment of the patents. Disney is in great shape with their successful fastpasses and they will not get rid of them or charge for them. They have put too much time and money into making it work.

bigang

i would like to comment on universal's rider express, my opinion is that it works great if you stay on property, went chritmas week, place was packed,
yet i never waited more than 5 mins to get on any ride, and unlike fastpass
they pretty much put you right on the ride, and it worked for every ride they have except shrek4d. what i got from people who were not staying on property and paid for the option was that they did have a small wait time , equal to disneys fast pass, but it still worked on allmost all thier attractions, unlike fastpass on select attractions

SallyShine

According to their web site, the purchase option is only good on certain dates. There were no dates available during busy times (for example, during the summer). Maybe they're trying to boost occupancy rates at their hotels as the guests still get to go to the front of the line. It really is a huge perk that we'll be taking advantage of in July!

Epcot82Guy

Last time I went, Universal Express was really just not working well. I had an annual pass, and the booths were down quite a bit. Also, when they were up, as someone pointed out, the rides were often walk-ons.

I DO think, though, that Universal's front-of-the-line access for resort guests is very successful. I spoke to several groups staying at Universal that spoke very highly of the perk. If I were to guess, I would say Universal Express goes away somewhat soon (since the payment option has not worked well for anyone really - namely Six Flags who has done it for a few years now), and the front-of-the-line will stay put.

I also think that Disney has, for some reason, cornered the market on this. I understand the gripes people have about Fast Pass, and it does make lines longer to some extent. However, I think it psychologically makes the wait shorter. I always feel like I get a great deal with those pieces of paper. So, even if I am physically waiting more throughout the day, it feels like I am not. And that is just as important IMHO.

ScrapIron

SallyShine said:
According to their web site, the purchase option is only good on certain dates. There were no dates available during busy times (for example, during the summer). Maybe they're trying to boost occupancy rates at their hotels as the guests still get to go to the front of the line. It really is a huge perk that we'll be taking advantage of in July!
They were certainly selling them last July, and I'm sure they will this year as well since making money off of the ones they sell are the reason for eliminating the free ones. You likely encountered one of two things. There is a limit to the daily allotment, so they can sell out. The price varies depending upon the anticipated crowds, which is a fluctuating number over time based on various factors, so they are not generally available as far in advance as other types of tickets.

We had a HUGE suite across from Universal at the Holiday Inn in July for $115 per night. Adding EPPlus passes for 3 added $105, making the total about the same a a single room at a Uni hotel. We had to walk 20 minutes, not a problem for me, but also only had to pay that much total on the days we actually went into the parks.

Ultimately, though, after experiencing FP, EP and 6 Flags Fastlane, I do prefer Disney's system of free for all, limited to the attractions that consistently have long waits.

Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom