Far East Resort?

THX-1701

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I think an Asian or an Oriental themed resort would be a cool idea.

Like Coronado Springs ,it could have 3 different areas,
Japan,China and Thailand.
For the water slide ,instead of the Mayan Pyramid,
maybe a Mt.Fuji waterslide.
Just a thought!
What does everyone else think of this idea ,and would you stay there?

DisneyJill

I thought there was talk not long ago about a possible Venetian Resort, on the other side of the TTC, so it would be on the monorail. I'm not sure that they need to build another resort for a while though. Pop Century is done and has been done for quite some time, just sitting there, until it was needed. The occupancy rates were so low at the other resorts that they didn't want to open it. But back to your idea, the pool could be themed really neatly, I agree.

Main Street USA

The "Asian" resort was in the original planning for WDW way back in the day. It was later thrown out and replaced by The Grand Floridian. As of right now there are no plans to build another MK Resort on the Beam.

tigsmom

Originally ther was to be an Asian Resort. There is a pic (drawing) in the book Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti that shows the concept...think of a clock:

The Asian Resort at 12, MK at 3, Contemp at 6 , the Venetian Resort at 9 and the Poly at 11.

It doesn't give a reason as to why it wans't built that way.

Poncho1973

Originally posted by tigsmom
Originally ther was to be an Asian Resort. There is a pic (drawing) in the book Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti that shows the concept...think of a clock:

The Asian Resort at 12, MK at 3, Contemp at 6 , the Venetian Resort at 9 and the Poly at 11.

It doesn't give a reason as to why it wans't built that way.

I have a question about this... please bear with me... it's not making fun of you or anything... I'm just trying to understand YOUR point of view.

I think people understand what you're saying, but just from a sheer "logic hound" perspective... why would the "Asian Resort" be at 12 o'clock? MK is at the true north of the "clock" naturally, so wouldn't it be the head of the clock? MK is also the focal point of the lagoon, so even if it weren't true north (even though it is) wouldn't it be the head of the clock? AND if you look at it from your approach (think of a giant clock on a hillside that you would walk up to from the front and underneath) you would be at the TTC for 6 o'clock... and MK would still be the head of the clock?

I guess I know why I'm anally rententive about logic... but I'm looking to figure out your logic.

:hammer:

ImaSheDevil

They should do a European resort...like Disney's European Village...kinda like and alpine ski resort and then a section that's like a city...and they could put venice in as PART of that...with gondola boats and stuff

tigsmom

Originally posted by Poncho1973
I have a question about this... please bear with me... it's not making fun of you or anything... I'm just trying to understand YOUR point of view.

I think people understand what you're saying, but just from a sheer "logic hound" perspective... why would the "Asian Resort" be at 12 o'clock? MK is at the true north of the "clock" naturally, so wouldn't it be the head of the clock? MK is also the focal point of the lagoon, so even if it weren't true north (even though it is) wouldn't it be the head of the clock? AND if you look at it from your approach (think of a giant clock on a hillside that you would walk up to from the front and underneath) you would be at the TTC for 6 o'clock... and MK would still be the head of the clock?

I guess I know why I'm anally rententive about logic... but I'm looking to figure out your logic.

:hammer:

I'm just describing the picture in the book...it doesn't say what compass point it was drawn from. Why would I think you were making fun of me and questioning my logic? I think this was a legit question.

ps You sound just like my husband!!!!!

Poncho1973

Originally posted by tigsmom
I'm just describing the picture in the book...it doesn't say what compass point it was drawn from. Why would I think you were making fun of me and questioning my logic? I think this was a legit question.

ps You sound just like my husband!!!!!

HAHAHA... sometimes ppl tend to get touchy here... :)

I'm glad you took it in good spirit. I'm liking this husband of yours... sounds like a solid upstanding man. :lol:

Poncho1973

Originally posted by danzingcutie12
Actually, the orginal plan was to have a resort for each of the lands at the Magic Kingdom.
ex:
Contemporary- Tommorowland
Polynesian- Adventureland

You know... in all my years... I've NEVER heard that. WL must be Frontierland...

Anyone know FACTS about this?

I actually heard it from a cast member, who has worked down their since the park opened. Im not saying if it is correct, but I thought it was very interesting to consider!

mandy

Herbie53

Premium Member
Perhaps an Asian themed resort would be a good addition to the Animal Kingdom area. They already have Animal Kingdom Lodge representing Africa. Having something to represent Asia would be good, right?

niteobsrvr

I seriously doubt that anymore resorts will be built in the next five, maybe even next 10, years that aren't part of the Vacation Club brand. At some point, I am sure they will finish Pop Century though.

After 9/11, Disney came to a hard realization. They had overestimated the continued expansion of the tourist market. They had just completed the first half, approx 3000 rooms, of the Pop Century and had started work the second half when the rug was pulled out form under the Market. Not only would they not be able to fill the first 3000 rooms, but they also couldn't substantially book several other resorts. Thus we saw the closing of the French Quarter and the shuttering of half or so of Riverside to eliminate about 2000 rooms from inventory. We also saw bookings at the Institute decline to the point it was a ghost town, effectively eliminating 500 more rooms. At one point, part of Coronado and Caribbean were also closed of for rehab.

All of these closings still left Disney with somewhere in the neighborhood of 17000 rooms to fill, out of the approximately 23000 rooms they owned and operated. It is widely known in the hotel industry that you need to have about a 65% occupancy rate to meet your costs. That means Disney would need to fill about 15000 rooms every night.

The rapid change in the economy also forced Disney to see the increased exposure they had to bad economic times and other events. It made total sense in the booming 90's to add rooms. After all, why let all of that revenue go to Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc. People weren't coming to visit Orlando; they were arriving to visit Disney World. I guess you could call it the One World, One Vacation strategy. Give them everything in one place, so that guests didn't have to venture outside the 47 acres to spend a dollar.

Of course that all works fine so long as demand is very high and there are plenty of tourists to go around. But when things go wrong, like economy and world events, and the market drops, you and the other operators still need to fill 65% of the available rooms to turn a profit. That gets considerably tougher as everyone is clamoring for the same limited number of customers.

The bonus for Disney is that they could close resorts, not open new resorts, and shuffle folks around to minimize the impact. It also allowed them the down time to rehab, or in one case, remove those properties which needed updating. It really wouldn't surprise me to see each of the All Stars go in for a rehab after POP Century opens in December.

The great thing about this supposed change in strategy is investment money is freed up for other uses. The best way to fill 23000 rooms is to give people a reason to come and visit again. A new ride here, new spectacle there, and new shows are great ways to garner the interest of those folks who are marginal about coming to Disney vs going elsewhere for Vacation. As we have seen already, the rumors have quickened about new attractions and activity. The old adage, "where there's smoke, there's fire" would be appropriately applied here. While not every rumor will become reality, enough of them will to pique the public's interest in vacationing at WDW again.

Note: Hotel room estimates are just that. The information was gleaned from various websites and should be reviewed with the understanding that there may be a margin of error involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom