Fantasy in The Sky - New Year's Edition

Brando1188

Original Poster
Does anyone know if they are also doing the new years fantasy in the sky tonight? they did it lastnight and when they started the countdown everyone was like ?

if they arent doin them tonight, my family will be spending new years over at epcot

Brando1188

Original Poster
i just found it odd that in the little flyer they give resort guests it said on Friday:

New Years Eve Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 11:50

and on saturday it just says:

Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 11:50

-----

It mentions New Years Eve fireworks for MGM and EPCOT however

Im not sure if this is in the right place, but I didnt want to start a new thread for it....

Anyways, was anyone at MGM for the fireworks on New Years Eve? We chose to view them from the end of the Streets of America, so we could see in all different directions etc... At 1st it was a little disappointing because ther4e was no count down or any music in that area, but then that was made up for by some firework shells that went bad. WE were looking back towards the loading area fr the backlot tour, and apparently they were being shot off just past the far end of the building, and 1 looked like it only cleared the building by about 10 feet and exploded over all the cars and buildings that were in the vicinity, and a while later another one flew up and hit the underside of the roof of the building and exploded all over the loading area, but the show continued to go on, which we were really suprised about. And not to mention that us and everyone around us was getting hit with hot pieces of ash and cardboard etc...

Was there anyone else there to experience this or any CM's that know anything about what went wrong? I heard over a radio from a CM that was close by that they had to shut down everything around the back of the park from anyone going near there, including CM's being able to get back to the parking lot...

CTXRover

A bit late, but I saw the MK NYE fireworks for the first time inside the park on the 30th and was a just a little bit disappointed and was kind of glad that I haven't fought the MK crowds on NYE in the past to watch the MK fireworks. The countdown itself was amazing with all the perimeters and was certainly a sight that needs to be seen to be believed, but then they announce their "grand finale" and it was just back to fireworks behind the castle and over seven seas lagoon with no build-up or big bang at the end. It might have been that the party atmosphere wasn't there before hand or during the display itself, but I wasn't blown away as much as I thought I would be.

However, I finally saw MGM's NYE display this year after going to Epcot's the past 3 years. I was on Hollywood Blvd and the fireworks and overall environment were amazing. Mulch, Sweat and Shears is an awesome band. The played several sets on the stage in front of the hat leading up to the fireworks. The music for the fireworks was the same type of uptempo pop/rock music, which was very appropriate for the event's party atmosphere. I've never seen them do this before (but I haven't seen MGM's fireworks shows in a few years), but they shot off a decent amount of low level pyro off the buildings on Hollywood Blvd, surrounding the crowd in fireworks. MGM should really bring back a nightly firework show. They can really put on a good show....and the hat works nicely as a foreground object, much like the castle at MK for Wishes. For some odd reason, I thought it would block too much, but obviously that wasn't the case. I'll be back at MGM next NYE for sure.

stele25

I was at MGM also for newyears. There was a countdown but it was prerecorded. I was totally shocked at the amount of fireworks fired off. For a park that doesn't normally have a fireworks show they really set something up special. From where I was standing just outside the front gate you could also see the fireworks from epcot and downtown disney. The MGM show went on for a decent amount of time past the others. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that whereas epcot and MK had 2 firework shows the same night, MGM was stocked with at least enough fireworks to match both shows, and then shot them all at once. Anyways, I thought it was absolutely amazing. Also, catching the 10pm fantasmic show really helped set the mood for me. While I don't think I will go to WDW for new years again(crowd nightmare), I think it was amazing and needs to be experienced at least once. Happy New Years everyone!

stitchcastle

CTXRover said:
MGM should really bring back a nightly firework show. They can really put on a good show....and the hat works nicely as a foreground object, much like the castle at MK for Wishes. For some odd reason, I thought it would block too much, but obviously that wasn't the case. I'll be back at MGM next NYE for sure.

The old Chinese Theater is a really great foreground object for the old MGM pyro show, kind of reminiscent of how one would use DL's castle for a pyro show. MGM would rock with a "Remember" style pyro show.

and if you stand too close to the castle at MK, like at the hub, it does block a lot of fireworks from view and makes it less impressive than if you were viewing from the sidelines or down mainstreet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom