Fantastic "Country Music" doc from Ken Burns started Sunday on PBS, continues this week and next

prberk

Original Poster
I watched the first of eight episodes last night (two hours each, Sunday - Wednesday night this week and next week), and it was brilliant. Beautifully restored and rare footage of Jimmie Rogers, the Carter Family, Deford Bailey, George D. Hay, the Bristol Session players, and many of those who were instrumental in earliest days of the fusion of fiddle and banjo, blues and mountain music, that we now call country music.

I am looking forward to every episode.

If you love country music already, check it out for the roots. But if you don't know or care for "country" music today, please also watch it -- I can already see the great care taken (as always by Ken Burns) -- and you will learn why it is such an important part of the fabric of Americana. (Heck, you might even learn something about the medicine shows and influences that made the CBJ).

Last night was the beginnings through the '20s. Tonight will focus on the '30s and '40s, featuring the development of clearchannel radio and the national barn dances that sprang up on it (The WSM Grand Ole Opry, the Wheeling Jamboree, the WLS Barn Dance, the Louisiana Hayride), etc.

It is also streaming on www.pbs.org, so you can see it there as well as on your local PBS station.

Anyway, it was amazing last night. I would love your comments if you saw it. Learned more about Jimmie Rogers than I knew before, how he toughed it out to sing with TB, and did not let his disease keep him from singing and recording even until the end. "The Singing Brakeman," as he was known, was hugely influential ... but all of it would never have been as successful if the record producer from RCA Victor had not left New York to find music of the country, and stopped in Bristol, TM/VA, to record those musicians (including Rogers and the Carter Family and the Stonemans -- who have CBJ connection, by the way) in that famous series of Bristol sessions. Lightning in a bottle -- and it set off a slow burn that continues today.

John park hopper

As a life long Blue Grass and old time mountain music fan the first episode was great. It was interesting to see how at a time of segregation music was shared between both cultures---- music the universal language. looking forward to all the episodes Ken Burns Bravo

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I only know a little about country music, as I wasn't brought up listening to it. However, Ken Burns is a genius, and any documentary by him is always worth watching. Last night I saw some of episode 2, "Hard Times" and the history of (1933-45) was fascinating. Many people went through very tough situations, and country music lifted the spirits of these people, when nothing much else was going well for them.

John park hopper

Grew up in NY back in the early 50's and 60's-- I had a small white RCA radio--- as a kid at night (I was supposed to be sleeping I could tune in the Grand Ole Opry out of Wheeling, West Virginia been a fan ever since of old time country music.

prberk

Original Poster
Grew up in NY back in the early 50's and 60's-- I had a small white RCA radio--- as a kid at night (I was supposed to be sleeping I could tune in the Grand Ole Opry out of Wheeling, West Virginia been a fan ever since of old time country music.

You would really like this documentary, then. It continues tonight through Wednesday and then Sunday through Wednesday of next week. Great archival footage. Really gets to why country music resonated with rural people and blue collar workers who could not relate to the symphony or "sophisticated" music.

By the way the Wheeling Jamboree from WWVA was similar but a separate show from Nashville's Grand Ole Opry on WSM, but they complemented one another. They mentioned the Wheeling Jamboree last night and how Bill Monroe and others had started on it. It's still going, and Brad Paisley played on it as a teenager. His Christmas album has a cut starting from it when he was 13 before it fades into his adult sound.

Both the Opry and the Jamboree are available on the Internet these days, but I think you might particularly like a new show called "Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour," a live-on-tape show that comes out of Louisville (I think) and features great musicians that continue the acoustic traditions of the past. Really a great show. WSM plays it on Sunday nights from 8-10 Eastern time (www.wsmonline.com or www.opry.com), and I think it is also on PBS on TV but at various times. Check it out.

John park hopper

My mistake I thought at one time the Opry was rebroadcast out of Wheeling WV but I was listening to Jamboree, I watch Woodsongs and on PBS they also broadcast Songs of the Mountains out of Marion VA comes on Sat night 8:00. Sad we have lost many of the originals --Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Mac Wiseman, Melvin Goins and so many others.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@prberk , I was up early this morning and happened to see an interview with Ken Burns on the Eleventh Hour (MSNBC -- show was repeated at 4:00 AM today). His discussion with the host, Brian Williams, was fascinating. He gave even more of his personal insight about the research and making of this documentary. (The interview is up on the Eleventh Hour web site, if you're interested.)

John park hopper

@prberk , I was up early this morning and happened to see an interview with Ken Burns on the Eleventh Hour (MSNBC -- show was repeated at 4:00 AM today). His discussion with the host, Brian Williams, was fascinating. He gave even more of his personal insight about the research and making of this documentary. (The interview is up on the Eleventh Hour web site, if you're interested.)
Watching the 4th episode again on PBS right now will check out that web site --Thanks

prberk

Original Poster
I also saw about an hour of that episode this morning as well, on my local PBS station. (Guess I should always get up at least by 4 AM, to see all the shows I want to see!) :joyfull:

Yes, sometimes that is the best time to watch things, I find, if I happen to wake up early.

Anyway, thanks, and they do seem to be running these programs all night each night after they first air.

Great miniseries/documentary. I love the whole thing so far. I will miss it when it is over in a week, LOL.

SSH

wish this would come to netflix ...I'm a huge country fan, but just can't take the time to watch in next two weeks. Hopefully PBS will keep this streamable from their site

prberk

Original Poster
wish this would come to netflix ...I'm a huge country fan, but just can't take the time to watch in next two weeks. Hopefully PBS will keep this streamable from their site
It is already on Amazon Prime. And I believe you can buy it from many sources. I think it is worth owning.

If you like traditional country music, by the way, along with knowledgeable DJs, download the WSM Radio app or the Opry app, and listen to WSM live, or listen on their website, www.wsmonline.com. It is the legendary station that has the Opry and that coined "Music City," as you see in the special. They play a mix of classic cuts and modern (curated) country, along with bluegrass and some gospel and Americana, and they are the reason that Nashville is called "Music City." They still run the station and have songwriters and artists stopping in all the time -- not too different from this special.

SSH

It is already on Amazon Prime. And I believe you can buy it from many sources. I think it is worth owning.

If you like traditional country music, by the way, along with knowledgeable DJs, download the WSM Radio app or the Opry app, and listen to WSM live, or listen on their website, www.wsmonline.com. It is the legendary station that has the Opry and that coined "Music City," as you see in the special. They play a mix of classic cuts and modern (curated) country, along with bluegrass and some gospel and Americana, and they are the reason that Nashville is called "Music City." They still run the station and have songwriters and artists stopping in all the time -- not too different from this special.

not a prime member, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm a big nashville fan - been there several times and toured the Opry, hall of fame, etc. The history is so interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom