Family of 5 - should we bring grandma too?

Disney Lover Addie

I'm going to go against the flow and say that you should consider Grandma's disposition. My mother would love to come see the parks with my 2 sons, but 1) She hates flying. 2) She's VERY judgmental about other people, so I can imagine hearing her tear people apart for an entire week. 3) She doesn't enjoy walking unless it's alone and in the woods. 4) She's kind of obnoxious at restaurants.

I could go on, but you get the general idea. While I would love for my mother to enjoy the parks with my boys, it would just suck too much of the fun out of the trip for all of us if she DID come. It would probably be a different story if we were locals and she flew down to visit us.

Oh, I sorta forgot about the grandma part :);)

Pixieish

Oh, I sorta forgot about the grandma part :);)

Seriously...she's so bad that we did something with her recently and afterwards I went out of my way to call her and tell her how fun it was since she decided to enter our "happiness bubble", lolol! I barely notice anyone who isn't in our party when we go places at all...she's the opposite...she notices EVERYONE is rips them to shreds usually. It was really nice to not have to listen to that this time.

Disney Lover Addie

Seriously...she's so bad that we did something with her recently and afterwards I went out of my way to call her and tell her how fun it was since she decided to enter our "happiness bubble", lolol! I barely notice anyone who isn't in our party when we go places at all...she's the opposite...she notices EVERYONE is rips them to shreds usually. It was really nice to not have to listen to that this time.

Wait so is she coming?

bluefish32

Original Poster
If my kids’ grandma was like that, she would’t be invited! She’s easygoing, pleasant, and in better shape than me. She will be quite an asset for us on this trip, and she is thrilled to have another chance to do Disney! I do have curmudgeon family members too, so I can relate. So thankful my MIL is not like the usual strereotypes. She is wonderful!

winstongator

We're a family of 5, kids will be 4, 7, and 9 for our first trip to WDW next year. It is hard enough finding an onsite room for 5, but I'm seriously considering inviting energetic, helpful, easy going grandma to be our 6th person, but that limits our onsite options even more. Budget will keep us at the value/moderate level. I'm considering CBR for 5 people, or AoA/FW cabins is as high as we can go. What would you do? Thoughts?
Would grandma babysit? Think about the cost of that, and what you as parents could do at the parks in the evenings. For as many times as I've gone, and with relatives, I've only gotten those babysitting nights probably twice. Once was the last Main St Electrical Parade for my 40th birthday and the other was a great dinner at Yachtsman.

I've heard good things about the AoA suites from someone in a similar situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom