Family Gets Disney Park To Themselves

napnet

Original Poster
Walking hand-in-hand on a red carpet, Raymond and Tammy Spangler and their two children seemed unsure of their steps Wednesday at Walt Disney World.

The Magic Kingdom was eerily quiet, with only the chirping of birds, piped in orchestra music and the sound of their footsteps filling the 125,000-acre park. They were about halfway up the red carpet to the Cinderella Castle when all that dissolved and 1,500 mouses, maids, baseball players and princesses came streaming out of hiding to welcome them.

"There were like thousand and thousands of people in the streets all of the sudden," 13-year-old Derick Spangler said.

The Spanglers, of Randolph, Ohio, were the first to win a marquee prize in Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration. One of 50,000 online entrants, they were rewarded with a morning of the Magic Kingdom all to themselves -- and a VIP tour.

By noon the family had been on Space Mountain, to the Dumbo attraction, on a carousel filled with Disney characters and on the Jungle Cruise, where 11-year-old Ashley Spangler got to drive. All were free of lines, of course.

Other prizes to be awarded in Disney's contest include a chance to be the first to stay overnight in the Cinderella Castle, trips around the world as grand marshal in the Disney parade, a membership to the Disney Vacation Club and more.

Some, like a pass allowing guests to skip lines at attractions for the day, will be awarded at random to unsuspecting guests visiting a Disney park. All the company's worldwide properties are participating, but the biggest prizes are at Disney World and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

Prize values range from $3.83 to $83,701 for the vacation club package, which provides annual points that can be redeemed for stays at Disney properties.

The Spanglers had been to Disney World before, but didn't plan on coming to Orlando now. They only found out three weeks ago that they won, but said it was no trouble to get work and school off.

"The kids' principal was like, 'Well I'd pull my kids out too!"' Tammy Spangler said.

The Magic Kingdom opened to the rest of the public at 10 a.m. Wednesday, an hour later than usual. Different sections of the park were opened to all guests after the Spanglers moved through.

http://www.local6.com/news/9999748/detail.html

arielbabe

i wouldnt like the whole park to myself it would be a bit boring with no other people there who will make you laugh and you can talk to in ques ect and make it an experience to remember

blackerbys17

Are you kidding? I would LOVE the park all to myself, that's one of the coolest prizes I have ever heard of! Congrats to the family, I hope they made memories to last a lifetime!!! :sohappy:

rainfully

Well it's a good thing that you didn't win... I'm glad it went to a family that would appreciate it. What happen to them is something that wouldn't even happen in anyone's wildest dreams. Not just having the park to themselves, but the treatment they're getting is just astounding. They're super VIPs.

If you don't like the prize of a contest, no one forces you to enter.

But what they won is simply amazing.

Capt. Jack

I was watching Good Morning America, & the kids didn't seem to 'Thankful' or whatever about the situation. I mean, come on kids, your in Disney World for crying out loud.

The dad asked the son if he'd be the popular kid in school now, & he goes "i don't know." & then they asked if the girl liked Space Mountain & she goes "it was alright."

May just be me, but. :brick:

TestTrack

I was watching Good Morning America, & the kids didn't seem to 'Thankful' or whatever about the situation. I mean, come on kids, your in Disney World for crying out loud.

The dad asked the son if he'd be the popular kid in school now, & he goes "i don't know." & then they asked if the girl liked Space Mountain & she goes "it was alright."

It's typical for that age to be shy in front of a camera much less a popular TV show. I remember riding the bee back at MGM in the backlot tour and I didn't ham it up as much as I would now because I was more shy.

C&D

Sounds a little like "Walley World" in "National Lampoon's Vacation"; not for me, thanks.

Capt. Jack

It's typical for that age to be shy in front of a camera much less a popular TV show. I remember riding the bee back at MGM in the backlot tour and I didn't ham it up as much as I would now because I was more shy.

Well, from what I saw ( just saying ) they didn't look shy.

lwalker8

I would love to be completely alone in the park...but it would seem a little weird to be the only ones there with just a bunch of cast members staring at you on all the rides. But even that would still be awesome:sohappy:

MickeyTigg

Well it's a good thing that you didn't win... I'm glad it went to a family that would appreciate it. What happen to them is something that wouldn't even happen in anyone's wildest dreams. Not just having the park to themselves, but the treatment they're getting is just astounding. They're super VIPs.

If you don't like the prize of a contest, no one forces you to enter.

But what they won is simply amazing.

Oh....I would have appreciated it....I'm just saying it would have be kind of weird being alone in the park. I'm only guessing at what it is like. Since there aren't alot of details as far as what the treatment is like...I can't really make a judgement on that, can I?

Why is any less than glowing comment on this promotion being interpreted as being non-appreciative and whatever negative adjective you'd like to throw out? Is this not a discussion board where all opinions are welcome....not just Prozac-like happy comments?

As for not caring for the prizes....it's not like you get to pick the prize, now can we?

Sure...there are prizes I'm not thrilled with. I don't want a voucher for a 5 x 7 photo....I don't collect pins...so a pinlanyard with pins is worthless to me. On the other hand the Ears sound great....if they're exclusive to the winners.

While I wouldn't mind winning some of the other prizes, I don't want to be paraded around not being able to enjoy the parks or parades being on "public display"....but that's just me. If I could win and have the prize and be left alone....I'd be as happy as a clam.

Sooo....how about some details.

NemoRocks78

Seized

I saw them walking down Main Street with a camera guy following them from the front and two CMs on the sides at around 11:15 this morning....the girl actually didn't look too happy to be there (though it was extremely hot and miserable outside :lol: ).

metscool

That was good for them. I saw the video. I always miss GMA on Monday Wed. and on Friday. But I watch it on Tuesdays and Thursdays only if theycould have done it on those two days.

MSTINKHERBELL01

I suppose it was overwhelming to the children..heck, the parents too. We visit WDW with our son and on the way to Orlando he's jumping up and down, asking " are we there yet" all that jazz...and when we get there he is just so overwhelmed that we have to ask him if he's having a great time:lol: . I suspect the children in this family were the same way...camera's everywhere, people clapping and all that kinda excitement:eek: .

MM Princess

I suppose it was overwhelming to the children..heck, the parents too. We visit WDW with our son and on the way to Orlando he's jumping up and down, asking " are we there yet" all that jazz...and when we get there he is just so overwhelmed that we have to ask him if he's having a great time:lol: . I suspect the children in this family were the same way...camera's everywhere, people clapping and all that kinda excitement:eek: .

I worked the event this morning. Their faces made getting up at 3am worth it. They were thankful believe me. They were just massively overwhelmed, I'd imagine they just wanted to get on with thier day... not have cameras follow them everywhere.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom