Familiar Faces

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
I got these stories out of "Walt Disney Imagineering", a really cool book.

Marc Davis, who designed the Country Bear characters, modeled "Big Al" after show writer Al Bertino.

"Madame Leota", the character in the crystal ball at the Haunted mansion, is actually played by Leota Toombs (ironic?), a Disney artist. She was originally asked to stand in to test the crystal ball effect, and legend has it she did such a good job they kept it in the show.

Legend has it that the owner of the Haunted Mansion was "Master Gracey" (his name can be seen on one of the tombstones outside). In the upcomming Haunted mansion movie, the mansion is called "Gracey Mansion". Both of these are in honor of Imagineer Yale Gracey, the father of "Illusioneering" and the genius behind many of the Haunted Mansion's effects.

The two brothers in the Civil War era photo during "The Two Brothers" scene in The American Adventure are Imagineers John Olson and Jeff Burke.

Show Writer Tom Fitzgerald was used as the model for "Tom II", an animatronic character from Horizons. (no photo avaliable...from me anyway!)

kevlightyear

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
The two brothers in the Civil War era photo during "The Two Brothers" scene in The American Adventure are Imagineers John Olson and Jeff Burke.

And they got Audio Animatronics made of their likenesses--that'd be so cool.

Thanks for the info, that was really interesting.

General Grizz

Eggzactly: these were not actual photographs from the war as many would believe! They were taken during a Walt Disney Studios photo shooting, used specifically for the American Adventure: actors, sets, and aging technology.

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
Originally posted by Tahu
Didn't some Imagineer's put themselves in Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin at Disneyland as Jack in the Boxes?

heh, yes. That was one thing from the book I didnt post..yet

The jack in the boxes are Show designers Joe Lanzisero and marcello Vignali

Oh, and in the pre show monitors on Star Tours (the one that tells riding safety instructions), the "tourists" ont he ride sitting with the ewoks are Imagineers and their families.

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Marc Davis, who designed the Country Bear characters, modeled "Big Al" after show writer Al Bertino.

"Madame Leota", the character in the crystal ball at the Haunted mansion, is actually played by Leota Toombs (ironic?), a Disney artist. She was originally asked to stand in to test the crystal ball effect, and legend has it she did such a good job they kept it in the show.

One minor tidbit to add to this. The face in the crystal ball is Leota Toombs. But I'm almost positive it's not her voice. It is an actresses voice and her name has slipped my mind. The part where you get to hear Toombs voice is at the end of the ride. She is the voice of the minature bride above your head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom