EZ-D's no more

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Greetings all

As an avid fan and buyer of DVD's we here at the geek labs knew this wouldnt last.

"Buena Vista Home Entertainment, a division of Disney, has been test marketing the product since September. More than 30 movies are now available in the disposable format, including Chicago, Freaky Friday and The Waterboy. The discs sell for about $7.

H-E-B stores will stop selling the EZ-Ds in the next two or three weeks, according to Susan Ghertner, environmental affairs manager for the grocery chain. "

More can bere found Here

source wired.com

DDPGambit

$7 bucks for a movie for 2 days? I can rent one for 5 days for 5 bucks, or for $15 I can just buy it.
Lame idea. I'm glad it's gone.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Originally posted by HM999thGhost
What exactly is this??

EZ-D's where Disney's attempt to mass market a disposable DVD

basically you go to the store pay 5-7 dollars for this DVD when you opened the DVD case the bottom of the DVD was coated with a chemical that over time exposed to air would turn the disc unreadable by any player. Virtually a black coated disc once the air exposer occured. The DVD lasted about 2-3 days.

This was just a pilot program to see if this would work. Taken from the Divx days (not the codec) ala PAY PER VIEW DVD when Circuit City and other distributers figured why wouldnt people want to pay 3 bucks everytime they wanted to watch their movie they own. That soon failed also.

Also what are laser discs? I know people are talking about them on here but what are they?? :confused:

Laserdiscs where the pre dawn of DVD's imagine a DVD the size of an LP err or a Record for the youngsters out there. They where double sided and most movies where broken up over several discs to fit the whole film in the discs.

Geek lesson for the day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom