extinct boat rides/island

celestia

Original Poster
When i was in WDW I noticed what i thought were tracks for two boat rides that are long gone. One i remember going on in AK, and was there another in MK? What can anyone tell me about them? Are there any others that went 'extinct'?

while i'm on the subject of boats, what is this island i kept hearing guests talk about, that is closed now? it sounded like it was at epcot.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The ride you are refering to at MK is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It closed back in the mid 90's I do believe. There are many, MANY helpful threads about this if you search for 20k.

The one in AK I'm not too familiar with, but I do know that they now use the queue as a meet and greet with characters basically all day long.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more helpful info. Have a wonderful day!

imagineerfan

There used to be a swan ride around the "hub island" at MK (where Walt and Mickey stand). If you look at a map of the Mk, and look to the right part of the island, there is a building that used to be the station.

At AK there used to be a boat ride around Safari Village, aka Discovery Island. There was a station at the south part of the island, then another in Asia, on the opposite shore.

I'm not sure if this is the island you are refering to, but Discovery Island, was an island in the middle of Bay Lake, that could be reached via the boat dock by MK. The island housed many animals and plant life. My guess is that they stopped running it when construction for AK started.

hope this helps,
Dan

celestia

Original Poster
Originally posted by One Lil Spark
The ride you are refering to at MK is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It closed back in the mid 90's I do believe. There are many, MANY helpful threads about this if you search for 20k.

The one in AK I'm not too familiar with, but I do know that they now use the queue as a meet and greet with characters basically all day long.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more helpful info. Have a wonderful day!

already know of the submarines, that used to be my favorite ride ::pout:: the fountains they put in there for ariel are pretty though. but no, i'm talking about over towards the castle, like from adventureland to tomorrowland

wild01ride

Originally posted by imagineerfan
There used to be a swan ride around the "hub island" at MK (where Walt and Mickey stand). If you look at a map of the Mk, and look to the right part of the island, there is a building that used to be the station.

At AK there used to be a boat ride around Safari Village, aka Discovery Island. There was a station at the south part of the island, then another in Asia, on the opposite shore.

I'm not sure if this is the island you are refering to, but Discovery Island, was an island in the middle of Bay Lake, that could be reached via the boat dock by MK. The island housed many animals and plant life. My guess is that they stopped running it when construction for AK started.

hope this helps,
Dan

I'm pretty sure imagineerfan hit all the bases on this one!

celestia

Original Poster
Originally posted by imagineerfan

hope this helps,
Dan

i think you answered all of my questions, thanks :)

tenchu

Originally posted by Michael72688
The ride at AK was not fun, you just went around the island and saw nothing, I hated it, I'm glad its gone! :)

I quite enjoyed it.

A CM showed you a tarantuala.

:wave:

TiggersPooh

The ride at AK was not fun, you just went around the island and saw nothing, I hated it, I'm glad its gone! :)

I think they should still have it! The park has very fe wrides to begin with and to take a ride out so soon seems like a waste of money! I liked the ride when we rode the CM were overly happy because it was the last ride of the day so they were great!and it was a nice break for my Aunt and I who were pushing my grandma around in a wheelchair all day! Speaking of the AK why is this the hottest park? or Im I crazy?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

yeah... cause it was in-park transportation, and not a ride. Unfortunately, most guests never got that (I guess they'd rather walk), and it was quickly closed. They did revive the boats for a few days last month as a test, and turned the boats into a floating character meet (why not... replace something that wasn't popular, with something else...) but it's already gone

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by TiggersPooh
Speaking of the AK why is this the hottest park? or Im I crazy?

it's not the hottest, but it is the most humid, due to all the plant life. If you go there in the winter, it actually feels the coldest too.

Jon_in_NC

Originally posted by mktiggerman
it's not the hottest, but it is the most humid, due to all the plant life. If you go there in the winter, it actually feels the coldest too.

.....plus AK has lots more trees than the other parks; which cuts down on the amount of wind and breezes you get to help circulate air.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom