EV Charging at Disney Springs

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is a bit of a rant... but I'll start with the good.

The good: I've never seen the EV charging spots at Disney Springs ICE'd...
The meh: ...at least not in the traditional sense, but I did see Teslas that weren't even plugged in parked there.

So here's the bad:

Disney previously used Chargepoint Chargers at Disney Springs, which was great. It's an option that's available across North America, so if you drive an EV, you almost certainly have a chargepoint app and can easily charge.

Not anymore though. Now they use the "ChargeUp!" app and chargers that appear to be from RCID. So while the charging process is the same, it's another app to download, which only has a few locations in Florida and North Carolina, it requires an initial $25 top-up to charge, and if you accidentally set it up for auto-recharge, it will only recharge in $20 increments with a $20 minimum threshold (ie, Your account dips to $19.99, it charges another $20 - not $5, not $10 - but another $20. The actual rate per KWH is 35 cents with a $1 minimum charge - so not terrible.

This is fine if you're a local who will charge here regularly, but for most out-of-town EV drivers this is a non starter, especially with two Tesla Supercharging locations very close to property, CCS/Chademo combo chargers located nearby, and much cheaper L2 chargers located all over town.

The Mrs

I don't have an EV so this doesn't apply to me, but I was glad to read your post. I've always assumed it was free to use the chargers that I see in parking lots. I figured the businesses were trying to do their part for the environment by encouraging the use of EVs. Now I know better. Thanks!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't have an EV so this doesn't apply to me, but I was glad to read your post. I've always assumed it was free to use the chargers that I see in parking lots. I figured the businesses were trying to do their part for the environment by encouraging the use of EVs. Now I know better. Thanks!
Some businesses do free charging, but for many, having the chargers is just a move to attract customers which are perceived to be more affluent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom