Epipen and inhalers on the plane

Cindee75

Original Poster
We don't fly often and I forget from our last WDW trip in 2011 - do I pack my Epipen and inhalers in baggie like liquid or can I just remove from purse and put in bin for TSA screening. I have an allergy to stings and asthma which needs inhalers. Also, DS needs prescription antibiotic cream (which I knw is and Benedryl (and it be used already or does it need to be new also a don't think I can buy one that is 3oz or smaller) for any bite. DH has a few pills for acid reflux. Just needing advise about how people transport medication - I guess I could but Benedryl there if I had too - does anyone know if they would sell it in POR gift shop? Sorry this is so long just needing advise from those that do this more often than us. :confused:

journ116

My oldest DD has asthma & needs her quick-relief inhaler on hand...on our most recent trip to WDW (June 2013), I placed her inhaler in a quart-sized Ziploc bag with its prescription box flattened. This baggie then went into the bin with my other "gels, creams, and liquids" (less than 3 oz.). She also has eczema & when we traveled to WDW in Nov. 2012, I placed the prescribed cream in with my other "gels, creams, liquids" because it was less than 3 oz. to begin with. If your son's cream is more than 3 oz., put it in its own baggie with its prescription box flattened (or put it in a bigger baggie with his inhaler).

I have found children's Benadryl in tablet form, thus negating the need to search high and low for a liquid version less than 3 oz.. If he doesn't like tablets, pack a bottle of Benadryl in your checked luggage...cheaper than buying it at your resort's "convenient store."

FYI: You can pack pills in your carry-on and NOT have to remove them at security (so long as it isn't an obscene amount). I always carry travel sized: Tylenol, Advil, Benadryl, Zyrtec, Zantac, and children's chewable Tylenol in my carry-on (I am a walking pharmacy). I then pack "back ups" for said pills in my checked luggage.

As for your Epipen: place it in its own Ziploc baggie, which will need to be removed at security. If your Epipen doesn't have a medical prescription "pasted on," you might want to bring its original box and/or doctor's note describing your medical need for said item.

I hope my response wasn't too lengthy! and Enjoy your trip!

tare

Even is you have more than a 3pz bottle of medicine or over the counter meds. They will let it through. It just goes through an inspection process. I've done it three times now with children's sudafed.

HollyAD

I pack my son's benedryl and epipens in a plastic bag and just send them through the scanner in the bin. The benedryl is more than 3oz and only one place has questioned it. West Palm scanned them with a special machine thing and gave them back to us. I also didn't pack the box because it was so bulky so they don't have a label on them stating they are a prescription and no one has even looked or cared about it. I am sure they want the kids to be safe on the plane and not have a reaction on board and have to land the plane.

Much-Pixie-Dust

We have to take multiple inhalers and various liquid meds with us. I put them in a gallon size bag. I take the bag out of my backpack to scan through at security check. We have never had any problems. I also carry daughter's asthma action plan with me and make sure that all medications are in their boxes, and the prescription ones have her name on each bottle/medicine container.
My friend's son is highly allergic to peanuts and she calls the airline to make sure it's a nut free flight (flies Southwest and they pass out nuts on most flights). She also carries wipes with her to wipe down all surfaces where he will be sitting on the plane.
Hopefully you won't have to use any of epi-pens or inhalers while you are on vacation. Have a great trip!

Weather_Lady

My husband travels with his inhalers and epipen in his carryon bag. As other posters said, they can be placed in a 3-1-1 bag (pint-sized ziploc) to go through the security scanner. He has always carried doctor's notes concerning his need for those items, but no one has ever asked to see them. The prescription sticker on the packaging appears to be all that is necessary.

Last edited:

MorganKelly

We just returned from WDW and I bought both EpiPens and inhalers in my carry-on. I did place both in zip bags and I had no issues. A few years back one of the security gals was unfamiliar with inhalers and questioned me, but one of her co-workers teased her and waved me on.

Any type of medication can be taken on carry-on and can be over the 3.4 rule. It's best to take it out and put it in the bin but not always necessary. They don't have to be in a quart size bag as long as its medication. Epi-pens and inhalers are fine. I travel a lot so I hope this helps.ps they some times look in your bag if they don't get a clear picture on their screen but then your good to go.

StarWarsGirl

I leave both my epi pen and my inhaler in my purse and have never had an issue. I carry a portable nebulizer as well, and I put the medication and the machine in my carry on with the prescription labels directly in view. With the nebulizer meds, I declare them to the TSA officer to make it go faster, but even so I've never been questioned about them. And I've done this at multiple airports, including Honolulu, BWI, Dulles, Orlando, and LAX.

mouse_luv

My inhaler goes in a baggie or I think one time I just left it in my purse and it went thru the scanner with no probs. My meds (non liquid) went in pill cases and stayed in my carry on or in my purse and went thru the scanner. No probs on multiple trips over the last 6 years

luv

I called a long time ago about this and was told Epi-pens and inhalers were fine. I've always just left them in my purse, like always. One time, in Atlanta, the girl didn't know they were okay and had to call someone over to tell her it was okay. Otherwise, no problems. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom