News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

MagicHappens1971

I know a lot of people were talking about how drones may not be a thing because they could fall and hit a guest. Was that just for MK and not for Epcot since they would be over the lagoon?

trainplane3

Drones move so slowly. If people thought the middle 5-minutes of RoE could put an insomniac to sleep, IllumiNations: Drones Making Earth would be even worse.
That and the whole part of making a drone display that would look good from anywhere on WS lagoon. Most drone shows are viewed from one single spot.

Vinnie Mac

That and the whole part of making a drone display that would look good from anywhere on WS lagoon. Most drone shows are viewed from one single spot.
They could literally just rotate the globe around the lagoon or have it close to the lagoon itself so its front of everyone. This isn't as complicated as you are making it out to be

Disone

I find show drones boring. They are slow moving and while they can provide a neat accent, like when DLP puts the 30 in the air next to thier castle, but that is more of a preshow then a main event. For a main event like Illuminations I think they would be boring.

Touchdown

Also, drones can and do fail. While the lagoon would protect falling drones from people, landing in the water would destroy a very expensive toy. Most drone shows occur above an open field or parking lot. I’m not sure Disney will want to risk drones over open water.

Kevin_W

Also, drones can and do fail. While the lagoon would protect falling drones from people, landing in the water would destroy a very expensive toy. Most drone shows occur above an open field or parking lot. I’m not sure Disney will want to risk drones over open water.

Pretty sure at DLP they are not over a parking lot or open field. And DLP is launching a new show this month in WDS park with another 500 drones.

The shows are really neat - not a be all, end all in by themselves, but they would definitely be a nice accent piece in WDW IMO.

Touchdown

Pretty sure at DLP they are not over a parking lot or open field. And DLP is launching a new show this month in WDS park with another 500 drones.

The shows are really neat - not a be all, end all in by themselves, but they would definitely be a nice accent piece in WDW IMO.
Pretty sure the drones fly from either the Small World Roof or behind Alice’s labyrinth looking at overhead imagery, which again has no structures or water (iasw roof May as well be a parking lot) and looking at DSP, the drones are either going to be launched from LMA or the field just behind it.

ToTBellHop

Have you seen it at DLP?

It isn’t over guests. They have space to fly them behind the park (basically, behind their Fantasyland Train Station, in an area guests cannot access).

And, yes, it is pretty. But it is before the fireworks for a reason. It would be a good replacement for “Once Upon a Time” or the DHS nighttime clip shows.

The only time I’ve seen drones over guests was during Effectors II, a show in the main theater of Royal Caribbean‘s Wonder of the Seas. I don’t get the impression that anyone is interested in flying them over guests when weather is a factor. And it often is in Central Florida.

pdude81

Have you seen it at DLP?

It isn’t over guests. They have space to fly them behind the park (basically, behind their Fantasyland Train Station, in an area guests cannot access).

And, yes, it is pretty. But it is before the fireworks for a reason. It would be a good replacement for “Once Upon a Time” or the DHS nighttime clip shows.

The only time I’ve seen drones over guests was during Effectors II, a show in the main theater of Royal Caribbean‘s Wonder of the Seas. I don’t get the impression that anyone is interested in flying them over guests when weather is a factor. And it often is in Central Florida.
Do you think they'd bring them out on barges before the show or just close off a small section of the WS path for them to come in/out?

stuart

I dont know about the practicalities of this, but would a drone show need to be high level?

There would be scope for multiple launch sites around the lagoon and smaller, essentially eye level displays, if not something in the middle.

I would still like to see something unique in the new show however. What that would be I have no idea.

ToTBellHop

I dont know about the practicalities of this, but would a drone show need to be high level?

There would be scope for multiple launch sites around the lagoon and smaller, essentially eye level displays, if not something in the middle.

I would still like to see something unique in the new show however. What that would be I have no idea.
Let’s have drones deliver mobile orders to guests while they wait for the fireworks!
1673980413833.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom