Epcot Robots

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Hello everyone!

I was watching this video from you-tube several days ago, and it showed these robot performers from Epcot called the Droidz. They were real people dressed up in shiny metallic suits that danced and entertained the public. I definitely remembered them being performed during the mid 1990s, but they then disappeared approximately 12 years ago.

I was wondering if you guys had any information at all, even memories on these robots that performed at Epcot?

Thanks again and I shall be looking forward to a reply from you. Bye! :wave:

EPCOTPluto

Disney-Nautifan:

Did you post the pic from your computer? You can put it on a WDWMagic photo album! :)

And are you referring to these guys?

epbots.jpg

Never seen them in action, but it looks like fun...

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Disney-Nautifan

Aside from the Epbots, there was other robots that were seen moving about . I definitely at Epcot. I definitely remember a blue robot being in Innoventions which sponsored Motorola, in which it stood at a glowing crystal ball.

It looked quite similar to Timekeeper, but I have actually never seen it in person, only in photographs and a promotional film I once owned. However, it disappeared sometime during 2003-2004. Do any of you have any information regarding this robot?

Thanks!

TheDisneyMagic

Talking of Robots, it was at Epcot where I first ever saw Solar Powered Robot Lawn Mowers, back in the mid nineties they used to have them on the lawns of future world.

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Disney-Nautifan

But we Disney fans definately know who the most famous robot in Epcot was.... SMRT-1 from Communicore (now Innoventions)!!!!!

This small cute purple robot sat on a telephone stand creating trivia questions to guests, and he also made jokes and laughed. He even could speak to you. However, he dissappeared after many years CommuniCore closed in 1994, and has not been seen ever since.

I wonder what happened to him. Any of you guys know?

EPCOTPluto

Aside from the Epbots, there was other robots that were seen moving about . I definitely at Epcot. I definitely remember a blue robot being in Innoventions which sponsored Motorola, in which it stood at a glowing crystal ball.

It looked quite similar to Timekeeper, but I have actually never seen it in person, only in photographs and a promotional film I once owned. However, it disappeared sometime during 2003-2004. Do any of you have any information regarding this robot?
Well, "Starnac"was part of the Motorola Communication Dream Forum, in which he predicts the future of communication.

2702781784_113446e32d.jpg

I remember seeing it once. The only thing that appears to me was a family viewing a woman's birth from a mini handheld video screen on a sailboat. I think it was somewhat shortlived, and was perhaps replaced by the Fantastic Plastic Works...?

And yes. He could be a distant relative to the Timekeeper. :lookaroun:lol:

Talking of Robots, it was at Epcot where I first ever saw Solar Powered Robot Lawn Mowers, back in the mid nineties they used to have them on the lawns of future world.
The only related environmental thing I know of is this:

innocorncar.jpg

But what you described sounds quite the EPCOT vibe! :D

That I don't know. Perhaps someone else with info could know....

For all I know, he could be backstage still..... :eek:

And remember Gyro? :animwink:

7912ce00.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Yep....They were pretty cool.:D

I remember seeing them on the FoN stage in the 90's.

Well, "Starnac"was part of the Motorola Communication Dream Forum, in which he predicts the future of communication.

2702781784_113446e32d.jpg

I remember seeing it once. The only thing that appears to me was a family viewing a woman's birth from a mini handheld video screen on a sailboat. I think it was somewhat shortlived, and was perhaps replaced by the Fantastic Plastic Works...?

And yes. He could be a distant relative to the Timekeeper. :lookaroun:lol:

The only related environmental thing I know of is this:

innocorncar.jpg

But what you described sounds quite the EPCOT vibe!

That I don't know. Perhaps someone else with info could know....

For all I know, he could be backstage still.....

And remember Gyro? :animwink:

7912ce00.jpg
There was one even before Gyro...Who was on the EPCOT Center Opening Special with Danny Kaye. Was faceless, but walked around like Gyro.:D

He was cool....But SMRT-1 tops them all!:sohappy::eek:

Mr.EPCOT

But we Disney fans definately know who the most famous robot in Epcot was.... SMRT-1 from Communicore (now Innoventions)!!!!!

This small cute purple robot sat on a telephone stand creating trivia questions to guests, and he also made jokes and laughed. He even could speak to you. However, he dissappeared after many years CommuniCore closed in 1994, and has not been seen ever since.

He chilled out at the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary for many years after that, until supposedly someone dropped him and broke him. :( :mad: :fork:

Cmdr_Crimson

When I first saw the video in Martins Innoventions/Communicore Tribute first thing that came to mind was that he looked like Timekeeper..It's very possible he was a Beta-Version of ol Timekeeper. I Think it would be neat to see this guy back at Innoventions:D

There was one even before Gyro...Who was on the EPCOT Center Opening Special with Danny Kaye. Was faceless, but walked around like Gyro.

Ahh You must be speaking of Seeko (I apologize if that's how it's spelled) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOhUrFPGVk
But what's freakin creepy about Seeko is that it's also the same Robot modfied for Rocky 4!! :lookaroun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku6oPGWW7Q

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Disney-Nautifan

When I first saw the video in Martins Innoventions/Communicore Tribute first thing that came to mind was that he looked like Timekeeper..It's very possible he was a Beta-Version of ol Timekeeper. I Think it would be neat to see this guy back at Innoventions:D

Ahh You must be speaking of Seeko (I apologize if that's how it's spelled) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOhUrFPGVk
But what's freakin creepy about Seeko is that it's also the same Robot modfied for Rocky 4!! :lookaroun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku6oPGWW7Q

Wow! Seeko is quite impressive for a Disney robot. He's really tall and like the other robots can communicate with you. Its such as shame that Epcot no longer has any free-roaming robots that would talk to you. The closest thing that you would have probably come to the old Epcot robots today was Tom Morrow from Innoventions (although he has now been mysteriously removed), and the Muppet Mobile Lab, which involved Beaker and Dr Honeydew. They however were only in Epcot for several weeks back in 2007 or 2008 (I can't really remember the date)...

Speaking of Epcot robots, I was wondering if any of you guys had a live recording of the Motorola robot Starnac from Innoventions as I have been looking for one for ages? (you-tube is no good)..

Dragonrider1227

I love robots. Disney needs more robots! :D
For the record, though I never saw him in person I've seen pictures and thought the little robot in Communicor was really cute and actually wish they kept him

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Disney-Nautifan

I love robots. Disney needs more robots! :D
For the record, though I never saw him in person I've seen pictures and thought the little robot in Communicor was really cute and actually wish they kept him

The cute little robot that was in CommuniCore was SMRT-1, who used to sit on a podium and give tivia questions to guests, and laugh and make jokes at them. After CommuniCore became Innoventions in 1994, he dissappeared, and later ended up becoming a drinks tray at the Disney's Contemporary Resort. Sadly, one day, a cast member accidently dropped him and he smashed, suffering minor damage. Later on, he was sold, never to be seen again.

The Empress Lilly

Disney-Nautifan

The cute little robot that was in CommuniCore was SMRT-1, who used to sit on a podium and give tivia questions to guests, and laugh and make jokes at them. After CommuniCore became Innoventions in 1994, he dissappeared, and later ended up becoming a drinks tray at the Disney's Contemporary Resort. Sadly, one day, a cast member accidently dropped him and he smashed, suffering minor damage. Later on, he was sold, never to be seen again.
Like R2-D2 in RotJ then, but without the happy ending. :'(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom