Epcot Grand Opening Ceremony/special

TomboyJanet

Original Poster

Just wanted to post this so people can see the contrast clearer. How Epcot has gone from a cohesive dream and vision to a stochastic scatterbrained all over the place mess.

For those wishing to feel warm and fuzzy about old Epcot, just enjoy. For those who don't "get" old Epcot, maybe just watch it and see. I know parts are dated, and seeing young Drew Barrymore is kinda cool, but there was a bit at the end where they talked about Walt's desire to create something for the dreamers, the young and young at heart, something to that effect. I think that's important to remember before people say the old "It's for kids" saying. Epcot was a park that was not just for kids, it was for adults. Though it definitely appealed to kids. I know It left a mark on me. When I couldn't go back for a while, It was oddly the park I missed most. I just reached the age where I could understand it more and going back would have really been a plus, but unfortunately It would be 22 years until I got to return. By then I t was as if they demolished the entire park and put up a new half of a park. I still enjoyed what I could, but parts stressed me out, instead of that deep mysterious feeling I used to get. The Imagination ride, while better than it was when I last saw it, was still noisy and full of cold industrial spaces. Like a warehouse with some displays set up. It used to feel like this deep unbelievable journey into a dream. Are there NO Imagineers who can bring that back? I find it hard to believe.

Mission Space was cool, and I did enjoy the Guardians coaster though the guardians coaster had more of that snarky old MGM studios humor than Epcot feel. Ratatouille was ok but I already did it in Paris, but that didn't replace anything. The Loss of Maelstrom was really felt, and so was the loss of Horizons. Sadly I could not get into the Centauri Space Station as I had no experience with dining reservations outside of the Blue Bayou in 2015. It was a lot of the rides I constantly dreamed about re-riding that were gone, and that was annoying.

But This video will give you a sense of what the park was SUPPOSED to be, and not the wannabe universal that it is now. Disney doesn't need to compete with universal now, it needs to compete with itself, from the past.

regardless of how you feel, just enjoy the video, and realize I'm on a kick of digging up old videos right now so I may post more. This one I was not alive for, but I was able to visit basically all of those attractions in my life. I guess that's better than my friends who constantly wish they had a time machine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom