Employment at the Mouse

GhostlyGal1001

Original Poster
This question is directed to those who currently work at WDW: what are current hiring practices like and what sorts of positions are available? I know that I need to apply at the Casting Center, but was just curious. I am looking to begin working this summer. Thanks!! :)

cm1988

Originally posted by GhostlyGal1001
...what are current hiring practices like and what sorts of positions are available? I know that I need to apply at the Casting Center... I am looking to begin working this summer... :)

If you're just looking for the most current information, you don't have to drive to the Casting Center. Just call the JobLine at (407) 828-1000 (Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.)

Between the theme parks, resorts, water parks and plus the other stuff required to keep the onstage areas running, there's always a great variety of opportunities. I'm not in H.R. and so have to point you to the people who have the best information (i.e. the JobLine).

There's a few questions you'll want to ask yourself, that will help to focus your choices...

Are you interested in an onstage hourly role, office and technical, or 'professional'/managerial. (I put quotes there because really every role is professional, or the magic wouldn't happen.)

Must you have a Full-Time position, or could you consider Seasonal or Part Time employment?

If working onstage, would you be ready for the rapid pace of a theme park, or prefer to find a resort or water park slot - even if you had to search a little longer?

Have you considered the differences in the roles you've seen onstage... Quick Service Restaurants, Foods Carts, Merchandise Carts, Merchandise Shops, Attractions, Vacation Planning (Tickets), Transportation, Parking, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Custodial and Entertainment?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions! If you in turn have further questions on the specifics, I'll do my best with them... but don't want to mislead you by pretending to be as knowledgeable as the folks at the JobLine. And you also might want to surf on over to the WDW Casting Site.

Good luck in finding that role which best suits you.

GhostlyGal1001

Original Poster
Thank You!!

Thank you for the job line phone number, I will give them a call. I have considered Seasonal or Part-Time if Full-time is not available. Some of the areas I have thought about are attractions, merchandising, and the resorts (front desk, etc). You've been a wonderful help! :sohappy:

DisneyWorldGuru

Re: Re: Employment at the Mouse

Originally posted by cm1988

If you're just looking for the most current information, you don't have to drive to the Casting Center. Just call the JobLine at (407) 828-1000 (Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.)

Between the theme parks, resorts, water parks and plus the other stuff required to keep the onstage areas running, there's always a great variety of opportunities. I'm not in H.R. and so have to point you to the people who have the best information (i.e. the JobLine).

There's a few questions you'll want to ask yourself, that will help to focus your choices...

Are you interested in an onstage hourly role, office and technical, or 'professional'/managerial. (I put quotes there because really every role is professional, or the magic wouldn't happen.)

Must you have a Full-Time position, or could you consider Seasonal or Part Time employment?

If working onstage, would you be ready for the rapid pace of a theme park, or prefer to find a resort or water park slot - even if you had to search a little longer?

Have you considered the differences in the roles you've seen onstage... Quick Service Restaurants, Foods Carts, Merchandise Carts, Merchandise Shops, Attractions, Vacation Planning (Tickets), Transportation, Parking, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Custodial and Entertainment?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions! If you in turn have further questions on the specifics, I'll do my best with them... but don't want to mislead you by pretending to be as knowledgeable as the folks at the JobLine. And you also might want to surf on over to the WDW Casting Site.

Good luck in finding that role which best suits you.

I heard from a friend that to get the job you want you should know a person in a high level job or has been there a while. I am intrested in a job for their "stage crew". I wanted to know if anyone knows about the best way to try to get the job. Thanks.

cm1988

Re: Re: Re: Employment at the Mouse

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru

...to get the job you want you should know a person in a high level job or has been there a while.
That truly has not worked for me, or anyone I know of. I sent resumes and letters to every executive I could think of (or look up in the library)... they were all referred to Casting, and all netted polite letters but no job information.

So I came down anyway, took an entry level role, a massive pay cut (and most weeks, 35 hours or less). Traded a lot of material stuff for pixie dust. Many would say that is not a smart move... and for many, it would not have been. But in this one case, I scraped by, and the pixie dust never wore off. I was always jazzed about being there... having any role in the show. I realized something at the end of Illuminations one night - after that last burst of firewords and just a little pause - felt the hair go up on the back of my neck at the cheers, whistles, and applause of those thousands of guests around World Showcase Lagoon. All those people who'd had a good day. Heck, no, they weren't applauding me, or any executive, or any person I know. They were just happy. And that was because of the show that about 50,000 of us stage every day.

Now a few more years have passed and I'm in a role which is truthfully better than any of those I had applied for. How did I get it? Evolved into it... slowly.

So if where you work... and what you accomplish collectively with your fellow employees... is much more important to you than your job title or pay (and that's a biggie), maybe you should count the costs... do a budget... think about where you would live... consider the pro's and the con's... and decide what you want to do.

...interested in a job for their "stage crew"...best way to try to get the job.

I think the role is 'Entertainment Technician'. Keep an eye on trade papers as well as the Orlando Sentinel... the Entertainment Division does advertise. That of course is in addition to keeping in touch with Casting... and if you're down here on vacation... talking with Cast Members wherever you find them.

Sorry I couldn't be of direct help here... and once again strayed way away from your question... and got a bit windy:snore:. You didn't ask for a life story, did you?

Teamdisney

I work in the Team Disney building across from Pleasure Island, and if your looking for technical jobs right now. I'm afraid that as far as I know there are none.

With the cutbacks the company is just not hiring at the moment, but if you are looking for park work like seasonal summer work I'm sure we will be hiring, just check witht he casting department.

But one thing to think about, Yeas you will have great time, and probably make a lot of cast members friends, but don't come thinking your going to make big money over the summer.

You will have to room with someone, if you want to live somewhere have way nice.

Just some things to think about, because eventhough the Pixie Dust at the parks is great, it doesn't buy you food, housing, car payment etc.

cm1988

Originally posted by Teamdisney
...even though the Pixie Dust at the parks is great, it doesn't buy you food, housing, car payment etc.
Very true. You really have to keep that perspective in making an employment decision.

DisneyWorldGuru

Thank you for your help. I most likley won't get a job a Disney World for a while, but I now know about how to get the job. Oh thank you cm1988, I now know the job I am looking for. I understand that I won't get rich working for Disney but I have been in love with everything Disney World since I was a little kid. So I can't wait to be apart of the magic. Thank You. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom