Early May weather/crowds

gracie1

Original Poster
We are taking our first trip to Disney World May 7-14. What can we expect weather wise? Every website is different! :) Some say it's a dry month, while others say it's wet. Some say it's comfortable and others say it's scorching hot! :confused:
I've read that crowds should be low to moderate--kids are still in school and it's before Memorial Day weekend. Thoughts?

MaxsDad

I have been a couple of times that week, it is when my kids finish spring semester in college. I find it to be a great time to go.

Yes, public schools are still in, the spring breaks are over, so crowds are relatively low. Wait times build up during the afternoon at major attractions, and Toy Story Mania will always have a long wait, but overall wait times are minimal. I have been able to walk up to Table service and get a table with little wait too.

Weather, obviously, varies day to day, and year to year. Highs are usually 85ish. You get afternoon showers rolling through, like most of the time. Comparitively, it is one of the drier months statistically. I have been there in June, July, August, and Sept., and I find it to be cooler than all of those overall (and smaller crowds other than Sept.). As far as comfort goes, I guess it depends on what you are used to. I live in SC, so 85 and humid is a cool mid-summer day to me.

I would go back again that week this year, but my AP's expire before then, so I had to move it up a couple of weeks.

gracie1

Original Poster
I have been a couple of times that week, it is when my kids finish spring semester in college. I find it to be a great time to go.

Yes, public schools are still in, the spring breaks are over, so crowds are relatively low. Wait times build up during the afternoon at major attractions, and Toy Story Mania will always have a long wait, but overall wait times are minimal. I have been able to walk up to Table service and get a table with little wait too.

Weather, obviously, varies day to day, and year to year. Highs are usually 85ish. You get afternoon showers rolling through, like most of the time. Comparitively, it is one of the drier months statistically. I have been there in June, July, August, and Sept., and I find it to be cooler than all of those overall (and smaller crowds other than Sept.). As far as comfort goes, I guess it depends on what you are used to. I live in SC, so 85 and humid is a cool mid-summer day to me.

I would go back again that week this year, but my AP's expire before then, so I had to move it up a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help! Glad to hear it should be a good time to go and from someone whose actually been that time of year! :) We are in Nebraska, so we are used to hot, humid summer days-but usually doesn't hit until July. So we'll just get an early round of it in May. :) Does the rain last long when it hits? We'll be sure to pack ponchos. Thanks again.

MaxsDad

Generally, no, afternoon showers come then go. We pack ponchos everyday we go to the parks, cause you just never know for sure. When it does rain, put them on and keep having fun, cause most of the attractions are indoors anyway. We buy them in advance locally from the camping section for less than a dollar each, so they are disposable to us.

apple

Hi there!:wave:Nice to get some info on May... We will be heading down there too... And the rain is fun sometimes:lol: I am gona try and pack the ponchos this time. Because 11 disney ponchos might cost a pretty penny...:D

TINKER625

Love this time of year

We go this time of year often(anniversary beg of May) Its great all around. Crowds not as bad, not as rainey( but bring ponchos) I was able to get reservation for all the rest I wanted. ( Might of gotten lucky) Will be there in 2 weeks from today. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom