E.T Adventure!

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
I know not alot of people may not like it but I LOVE this ride. It's a classic and as a kid the experience of "flying" on a bike and hearing E.T say my and each member of my family's name individually was nothing short of magical.

However.....

who in the hell are they trying to kid with those "animatronics", ET's fine and all the aliens are. But the cops are laughable... they're basically maniquins with a speaker near by! After the awesome animatronics in the Mummy something needs to be done because they're not even laughable anymore I cringe when we see them.

I've seen travelling fair rides with better AA than that!

kcnole

The last time I visited Universal was shortly after it opened. Back then they were considered good, but I do agree that this ride needs a major refurb from the pictures I've seen. I do enjoy the ride though. Compared to the other queues in the park when we visited we loved that most of it was air conditioned and walked through the woods.

I think many of the AA's and some work on the goofy planet needs to be done, also rework the EE name thing at the end with the much better and newer speaking technologies.

But alas, this is Universal we're talking about, I doubt we'll ever see a refurb.

dxwwf3

ET grew on me with repeat rides. The first time I rode it I thought it was just Peter Pan's Flight on steriods, but I think much more of it.

It could use some updating though.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Of course the AAs aren't that great, it's an old ride....don't see any advanced ones in Peter Pan's Flight or Snow White's Scary Adventures. :p

I love it, personally my favorite dark ride around.

PencilTest

Man, one of the funniest things to do at Universal is to ride E.T. and listen to the poor little guy mangle your name. It's pretty tough for him to do initials, so if you really wanna laugh, give 'em a fake name like T.J or C.J. and listen to him over-pronounce it.
"Thank you Teeeeeeeeeeeeeee Jaaaaaaayyyyyyy..."

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
I think a major refurb for sure, but if that's too much to ask just change the cops!

The AA of the other E.T like character in the queue area (the name of whom leaves me right now) is FANTASTIC! It really is... so why the dummys in cop clothes that do nothing for the rest of the ride? Maculay Culkin had more realistic AA's iwhen trying to fool burgalars from breaking into his home!

maelstrom

Julius & Boobah said:
The AA of the other E.T like character in the queue area (the name of whom leaves me right now) is FANTASTIC!

His name is Botanicus.

I love E.T. so much. The first time I went to Universal Hollywood was at the height of my E.T. craze and I must have bought $100 worth of E.T. merchandise there. I'm so sad that it's gone now. But I do have it all on video.

Did you know there's a sequel to E.T. in book form? It makes me cry.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...486467/ref=sr_1_1/002-0972079-6424030?ie=UTF8

kcnole

I love E.T. so much. The first time I went to Universal Hollywood was at the height of my E.T. craze and I must have bought $100 worth of E.T. merchandise there. I'm so sad that it's gone now. But I do have it all on video.

Do you mean you're sad the merchandise is gone or the ride because the ride is still there.

maelstrom

kcnole said:
Do you mean you're sad the merchandise is gone or the ride because the ride is still there.

The ride is still in Florida but the one in California is gone, replaced by the new Mummy coaster.

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
It's refurb was a lick of paint and new lighting. Oh and a newer badly edited video so Stephen Spielberg doesn't look 20 years younger than he actually is.

JT3000

kcnole said:
But alas, this is Universal we're talking about, I doubt we'll ever see a refurb.

Funny you'd say that. Been to Magic Kingdom lately? Ridden Haunted Mansion? Space Mountain? TTA? Countless other rides? Yeah...

kcnole

Originally Posted by JT3000
Funny you'd say that. Been to Magic Kingdom lately? Ridden Haunted Mansion? Space Mountain? TTA? Countless other rides? Yeah...

I agree but Disney at least does refurbish some of their rides. Universal has a bad habit lately of just tearing down old rides and putting something different in its place instead of refurbing. So while you get something new, you also lose something old and great at the same time.

DigitalDisney

There's a difference...

I agree that HM and SM are in dire need of refurbishment, but MK can survive off nostalgia alone. Since USF arrived a couple decades later, it doesn't have that luxury.

Even outside of that, SM regularly has lines in excess of one hour, despite its datedness. Even though it's old, it's still a very fun ride. Even the Haunted Mansion, which no longer has FastPass, has longer lines than I've seen for ET on a busy day (Being a major attraction in the busiest theme park in the world certainly helps).

If they give HM/SM/etc the "Small World treatment," then they'll attract even bigger crowds. IASW has larger lines now than it used to, and POTC currently has the longest lines it's ever seen on a regular basis.

That being said, I'm glad that ET is still around (I go on it at least once on every trip), but it needs a major refurb. The animatronics are laughable, and the ET at the end of the ride rarely gets the names right (not sure if this is because of the crew or ET itself). The warp speed sequence to the green planet is also laughable. This is minor, but Botanicus also currently mentions the old spaceship vehicles that people used to be able to ride in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom