Ducks begin building

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ducks begin building
By DAN WOOD

ANAHEIM (Orange County Register) -- As they embark on the 10th training camp in franchise history, the Mighty Ducks no longer qualify as an NHL expansion team. They are not starting from scratch but rather starting over after three consecutive seasons out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

An active offseason resulted in a new general manager, a new coach and the acquisition of three front-line players brought in to juice up the NHL's second-worst offense. With former coach Bryan Murray now serving as general manager, the Ducks have added to what had been a bare-bones scouting department, upgraded their computer and video technology and remodeled the locker-room amenities at their Disney Ice practice facility.

Led by former Buffalo Sabres president Doug Moss, the newly hired senior vice president of business operations, the Ducks are also seeking visibility through newspaper, TV and billboard advertisements, bidding to win back some of the thousands of disenchanted former fans.

"The commitment off the ice has been huge," said Murray, who coached the Ducks to a 29-42-8-3, 13th-place finish in the Western Conference last season before Walt Disney Co. executive Paul Pressler tabbed him to succeed fired general manager Pierre Gauthier.

"The players walk in and see all this change, and that's all part of it. Players know when there is a good direction when the company and ownership are involved."

Most of the players who will be at today's first training-camp session already have seen what's new at Disney Ice. Already the renewed sense of enthusiasm is apparent.

"It's really an exciting time right now, with all the changes that have been made over the summer," Ducks center Matt Cullen said. "Just to have that much more depth up front is so much more exciting."

Murray drastically altered the look of the Ducks the first week of July, signing veteran playmaking center Adam Oates to a free-agent contract and landing offensively gifted right wing Petr Sykora as the centerpiece in a seven-player trade with the New Jersey Devils. Along with captain Paul Kariya, Oates and Sykora give Coach Mike Babcock a potentially lethal top line, or the makings of two solid scoring units.

Steve Rucchin, returning after two injury-wracked seasons, figures to center the second line, perhaps with 20-goal scorer Mike Leclerc on one wing and touted rookie Stanislav Chistov on the other. Cullen and Andy McDonald, who might shift to a wing, figure to vie for third-line duty.

"We've gone from being in a position of not having any centers to having too many centers," Kariya said. "Someone is going to have to play on the wing. I think we have two really good lines that can produce and depth throughout our team."

On defense, former Duck Fredrik Olausson re-signed as a free agent after helping the Detroit Red Wings capture the Stanley Cup championship last season. With Kariya and Sykora figuring to be the snipers, it will be up to Olausson and Oates to provide the veteran savvy to spark a power play that was the league's worst last season.

"Our power play has to be deadly," Babcock said.

Babcock, whose only professional hockey coaching experience came the past two seasons with the Ducks' American League affiliate in Cincinnati, enters training camp with a clear objective. Babcock is intent on having the team competitive no later than the Oct.10 regular-season opener at St. Louis.

"Being ready to play Oct.10 means probably three things," Babcock said. "It means establishing a program, so everyone is on the same page. It means evaluating our personnel and having them fit into their roles. The third thing, I guess, is overcoming ourselves. What I mean by that is through training camp to earn some confidence."

Perhaps the most daunting reality for the Ducks is the quality and depth of the Western Conference. Ten teams scored 90 or more points last season. Eight made the playoffs. Failure to play well from the outset would almost certainly short-circuit not only playoff hopes but also the positive karma generated this summer.

"Any year, it's important to come out of the gate with a good start, but certainly, with all the additions, you want to keep the good feelings and good atmosphere going," Kariya said. "Walking around Orange County, people are excited. People come up to me all the time saying that. In order to keep that going, we have to get off to a good start."

Bobster

Geez, was this article written by the Ducks PR department!?!

Now, I am not a Ducks fan or follower ... but to the naked eye ...

If Rucchin has been plagued with injuries over the last few seasons, why should things to be different this year?

Adam Oates had another great season last year, but he's about to turn 40 years old.

Yes, they signed Fredrik Olausson, but they gave up Tverdovsky in the trade to the Devils. Tverdovsky had 32 points last season compared to 15 for Olausson (but in only 47 games). Plus, Olausson is 10 years older than Tverdovsky!!!!!!

Petr Sykora ... 48 points last season. Jeff Friesen ... 44 points last season. Not much difference. Sykora had a few more goals, but Friesen is 25 pounds heavier and stronger.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but the article seems really one-sided. Kind of like the press release from Disney on how guests can "save" by buying their park tickets in advance :)

Toonfinder

I have to agree with you on that one... but then again it is the OC Register that published this thing. I don't have a lot of faith in the Ducks performing really great this season... though I am hoping to at least make it to Round 1.

The Ducks in the past few years have been either really crappy at the beginning and pick-up speed too late OR start out really well and then burn out before the All-Star break. What the Ducks need are players that can hold together the team for the entire season... and a type of management that will listen to the players and not think they are above everyone else... in the end, it's the fans who need to be heard. It's the fans who are paying these high ticket prices for a team that can't perform... it's people like me who would not paying $35... $75... plus to watch a game as long as there was a team worth watching.
I attended a whole 2 games last season and that was only because I was invited by someone else who had an extra ticket. And I think the Ducks felt it last year too... you could look and see a sea of open seats on every level. The only great thing was that traffic getting out was that much lighter too ;)

Here's to hoping, but not thinking it will get too far... Oates is great but age is his barrier... as well as with Sykora. I really wish they had fought to get Selanne back... I know he was interested but it looks like the Sharks had a better deal in the end (not to worry, the Blackhawks were circling for Selanne too and he was less than thrilled about that possibility)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom