Dropping the amimation stuff

downwitheisner

Original Poster
So Disney is dropping most(all?) of its hand drawn stuff, how are they going to manage? Pixar is gone for them, and they don't haven't made any full-lenghth 3d movies out of pixar(but they have done some awsome effects). How will Disney animation live?

CTXRover

Although Disney doesn't have any plans in the near future to do any hand-drawn animated films, they currently have 4 or 5 CG animated films in active development from Walt Disney Feature Animation that is publicly known...as well as at least 15 more in some type of development. Although this will be the first time Disney has made a full-length CG animated, they aren't completely new to the whole concept. Take for instance, Mickey's Philharmagic...that is very good CG animation...perhaps not quite the quality of very recent Pixar flicks, but I think it looks better than Pixar's first effort with Toy Story and Dreamworks' first effort with Shrek.

The first CG film that will be released directly from their own animation department will be next year with Chicken Little (see my avatar for a pic of the main character). Other active CG projects include: 1) American Dog (from Stitch creator Chris Sanders), 2) Rapunzel Unbraided (from animation veteran Glen Keane), 3) Gnomeo and Juliet (this project is on again, off again...but right now...its back on with Don Hahn(the producer of The Lion King and others) insistence), 4)A Day With Wilbur Robinson and 5) Toy Story 3 (without Pixar).

Although Disney current pipeline is filled with CG animated films...hand drawn is not dead...its just taking a break for a while.

JLW11Hi

Disney has actually been using CGI for quite some time, (Dinosaur, sections of Fantasia 2000), so the studio does have experience in it. The transition into CGI should be a matter of searching for the right talent out there. Since CGI is such a hot subject out there, I wouldn't think it would be hard to find the right talent. And I would also assume that most Traditional animators have had their hand in CGI, and most would be able to make a smooth transition into CGI work.

MagicalMonorail

I'm glad to see that Feature Animation is using some new ideas for stories. Like Roy said, we're seeing too many sequels. I'm worried about what Toy Story 3 will be like. At least the CG movies should be some good eye candy.

bartman454

The current situation that Disney is in reminds me a lot of the late 60's - mid 80's when Disney feature animation just had a period of bad to only okay animated films. My personal hope is that a studio such as Legacy or even Pixar (their are rumors they are planning to start a 2D animation wing to the studio) if you wanna do anything right now i reccommend big time numbers for the Brother Bear DVD to show the execs that 2D aint dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom