Driving From Mississippi

mjmoral

Original Poster
Hey, all! This June, I will be performing a first time drive to WDW. Airfare prices are just getting too high. I have a few questions and hope that you awesome folks can be of some assistance.

First, my family will be driving from Cleveland, MS (middle of the Delta, close to Arkansas border). Google Maps gives me two routes. One has us traveling south through MS and crossing into southern Alabama before getting into Florida on the western border. This route takes 49 S to 98 E to I-10. The other route has us driving east through Mississippi into Alabama and crossing Alabama's southern border into Florida. This route takes 82 E and 231 S to I-10. The route that is about 30 miles longer says that it will take about 8 minutes longer. If anyone has taken this route, do you have an opinion on which one is easier or has less traffic?

Also, I still have an I-Pass from when I lived in Chicago. Will this work with Florida tolls? I understand that if we pay cash, we will need exact change. Does anyone know the approximate toll from western Florida to Orlando or from where 231 S meets I-10? Would it be worth it to purchase a SunPass? If so, how would I do that?

Finally, once we're at WDW, we're staying at Pop Century. Is there a building that we should request for parking? Is it worth it to drive to the parks? I understand that parking at Magic Kingdom can be a pain, but I'm curious about self-driving vs waiting for a bus at the others. We'll be going to Hoop Dee Do on our first night. Do you think it's better to drive to Fort Wilderness or take hotel transportation to TTC and go from there?

I know that's a lot, but my family and I would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!

JohnD

Hey, all! This June, I will be performing a first time drive to WDW. Airfare prices are just getting too high. I have a few questions and hope that you awesome folks can be of some assistance.

First, my family will be driving from Cleveland, MS (middle of the Delta, close to Arkansas border). Google Maps gives me two routes. One has us traveling south through MS and crossing into southern Alabama before getting into Florida on the western border. This route takes 49 S to 98 E to I-10. The other route has us driving east through Mississippi into Alabama and crossing Alabama's southern border into Florida. This route takes 82 E and 231 S to I-10. The route that is about 30 miles longer says that it will take about 8 minutes longer. If anyone has taken this route, do you have an opinion on which one is easier or has less traffic?

Also, I still have an I-Pass from when I lived in Chicago. Will this work with Florida tolls? I understand that if we pay cash, we will need exact change. Does anyone know the approximate toll from western Florida to Orlando or from where 231 S meets I-10? Would it be worth it to purchase a SunPass? If so, how would I do that?

Finally, once we're at WDW, we're staying at Pop Century. Is there a building that we should request for parking? Is it worth it to drive to the parks? I understand that parking at Magic Kingdom can be a pain, but I'm curious about self-driving vs waiting for a bus at the others. We'll be going to Hoop Dee Do on our first night. Do you think it's better to drive to Fort Wilderness or take hotel transportation to TTC and go from there?

I know that's a lot, but my family and I would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!

I can only answer a portion of your question as I live in Tallahassee. The first part of your question is west of me, so I can't help you there. I can tell you that after the I-10 / I-75 portion of your drive you'll have two tolls once on the Florida Turnpike toward Orlando. First, with cash you'll have a $3.25 toll on the Florida Turnpike past the first service station. Second, take the State Road 429 exit in Orlando toward Tampa. This is also a toll route and will cost $1.75 cash. Take Exit 8 for Walt Disney World into the western side of the property. For a trip out and back for WDW, I don't think SunPass is worth the hassle. Take extra cash and pay the tolls. You will not need exact change. There are booths where change is given.

I stayed at Pop Century on my last trip. I prefer to park in the spots right outside the main building. Just don't park in any spot marked "check in". This gives you the flexibility to decide whether to drive or take the bus. If you're not a passholder, you'll have to pay for parking at the parks so that may answer your questions on whether to take the bus or drive right there.

Last edited:

JaxFLBear

Your I-PASS will work on SOME toll roads in Central Florida. Only the toll roads shown in purple on the map linked below will accept E-ZPass (which includes I-PASS):
https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/u...Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPassFinal-1.pdf

I would recommend E-Pass over SunPass at this time. Both are FL electronic toll systems, with E-Pass from the Central FL Expressway Authority (CFX). Both SunPass and E-Pass work across FL and also work on toll roads in GA and NC. CFX also offers an E-ZPass compatible transponder call E-Pass Xtra.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/

World_Showcase_Lover007

For the driving part, it may be worthwhile to think about which route has more exits/places to eat, etc. You probably know as well as anyone that parts of Mississippi and Alabama can be a bit sparse. Same in Louisiana where I live. I would probably stick to the route that gets you to the gulf coast sooner. So that would be going through Mobile, Ala. and western FL...

But the other way would be fine too I’m sure...nothing wrong with taking the scenic route lol. Driving through eastern MS and AL is very pretty country.

I would just bring plenty of change for the tolls...anything else is just too complicated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom