Dresses in cooler weather

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I am wondering how you layer your girls in cooler weather. I’ve already started buying dresses & costumes for our trip. Our girls will be 9 & 4. We are going this January and I just started thinking there may be cooler days when layers are necessary. I will definitely bring matching leggings for every dress but about top layers? Do you layer under or over? Here are some examples of the dresses we already have. I’d love to see pictures of what you’ve done if possible :)

Thank you!!
D164DB4D-AC8A-4682-AF57-91AD2760AE54.jpeg
414F6977-BC41-4FE7-834D-B7FC84252F28.jpeg

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
If it’s a costume sort of dress I’d try to find a plain long sleeve shirt that fits under. Otherwise, sweater/sweatshirt is good. We were there in December and had matching fleece Mickey jackets. Worked for us.

I like the idea of matching fleeces! That could be a good Christmas gift before we go.
Thanks!

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
These are from November last year. Like January, you have no idea what you're gonna get - 80s or 40s. Or both! I agree with bringing along leggings to add under, and we had this sweatshirt to put over.

Attachments

• Arya Belle.jpg
    Arya Belle.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 293
  • MVIMG_20181111_190805.jpg
    MVIMG_20181111_190805.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 292

Weather_Lady

For layering, treat the dresses like they were tunics; bring leggings or bike shorts for underneath, and hoodies or cardigans for over, depending on the weather for each day. For footwear, you'll want supportive hiking-type sandals, oxfords or sneakers - resist the temptation to have them wear dressy shoes that aren't suitable for several miles of walking.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
These are from November last year. Like January, you have no idea what you're gonna get - 80s or 40s. Or both! I agree with bringing along leggings to add under, and we had this sweatshirt to put over.

That Elsa dress is so cute!! Where did you get it?

For layering, treat the dresses like they were tunics; bring leggings or bike shorts for underneath, and hoodies or cardigans for over, depending on the weather for each day. For footwear, you'll want supportive hiking-type sandals, oxfords or sneakers - resist the temptation to have them wear dressy shoes that aren't suitable for several miles of walking.
Great tips thanks! Thankfully my older daughter hates dressy shoes. We’ll probably stick to sneakers and a good walking sandal for both.

Spoon full of Sugar

I am wondering how you layer your girls in cooler weather. I’ve already started buying dresses & costumes for our trip. Our girls will be 9 & 4. We are going this January and I just started thinking there may be cooler days when layers are necessary. I will definitely bring matching leggings for every dress but about top layers? Do you layer under or over? Here are some examples of the dresses we already have. I’d love to see pictures of what you’ve done if possible :)

Thank you!!View attachment 369959View attachment 369960
Great question! When my girls were younger, we had this same "problem" with the colder days at Disney. We layered underneath (camisole, long sleeve, leggings). We also brought matching jackets. We found that the jackets were mainly only needed during the cooler morning and evening hours...and for the majority of the day, stowed these in the backpacks. Weather is very changeable in Florida...so I recommend checking every morning before you head out. There were days in January for us that we needed a heavier coat, and others in which we didn't even need the under layers (all in a week & a half's time). Have fun! :)

Spoon full of Sugar

YES! Comfortable shoes and socks! I'm always so sad for the crying little girls in their fancy shoes.

carriebeth

When we went a couple times in cooler months I had little white fur shrug style jackets my girls would wear with princess dresses and then they would still look fancy. We did fleece lined leggings under dresses or the thick cable tights too. Turtlenecks under sleeveless dresses. It would start off cold then usually get pretty warm and then back very cold in the evenings so we took a bag that we could carry removed layers and then re add them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom