Drawbacks of staying at Swan/Dolphin

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I did a search of the forum, but I can't seem to find a thread that really talks about this. Everybody knows that the Swan and Dolphin aren't owned by Disney, so I'm wondering how exactly that affects the benefits of staying "on property".

1) I was told that you can't use the Magical Express from MCO. True?
2) Are guests issued Magic Bands for free? Or do they just get the RFID card, with the option to PURCHASE the Magic Bands?
3) I was told that even with Magic Bands, guests can't use it to charge purchases. True?
4) How far ahead of time are they allowed to make dining reservations and FastPass+ arrangements?
5) Do guests get free parking in the parks? Now that I'm thinking about it, is parking free at the resort?
6) Are guests eligible for Extra Magic Hours?
7) Any other issues/drawbacks that I should know about before making a final decision?

Thanks for any help.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
1) No free Magical Express. You can use the Mears shuttle but you will have to pay for it. You also need to handle your own luggage (it won't be magically transported to your resort and placed in your room.)
2) No free MagicBands. You can purchase bands in the park if you want them. However, the RFID card will work for admission and FP+. You cannot charge purchases to your room with the RFID card or a purchased MagicBand (answers #3)
4) Dining reservations may be made at 180 days. Disney resort guests may make dining reservations at 180 days, but can make them for all the days of their vacation at the 180 mark.
5) You will have to pay the daily parking fee in the theme parks and at Swan/Dolphin. There is also a mandatory daily resort fee at S/D.
6) Not sure
7) No resort package delivery from purchases made in the parks or DTD.

Cmdr_Crimson

I did a search of the forum, but I can't seem to find a thread that really talks about this. Everybody knows that the Swan and Dolphin aren't owned by Disney, so I'm wondering how exactly that affects the benefits of staying "on property".

2) Are guests issued Magic Bands for free? Or do they just get the RFID card, with the option to PURCHASE the Magic Bands?
3) I was told that even with Magic Bands, guests can't use it to charge purchases. True?
4) How far ahead of time are they allowed to make dining reservations and FastPass+ arrangements?
5) Do guests get free parking in the parks? Now that I'm thinking about it, is parking free at the resort?
7) Any other issues/drawbacks that I should know about before making a final decision?

Thanks for any help.

You might want to consider a Disney Owned Hotel..

R W B

1) No free Magical Express. You can use the Mears shuttle but you will have to pay for it. You also need to handle your own luggage (it won't be magically transported to your resort and placed in your room.)
2) No free MagicBands. You can purchase bands in the park if you want them. However, the RFID card will work for admission and FP+. You cannot charge purchases to your room with the RFID card or a purchased MagicBand (answers #3)
4) Dining reservations may be made at 180 days. Disney resort guests may make dining reservations at 180 days, but can make them for all the days of their vacation at the 180 mark.
5) You will have to pay the daily parking fee in the theme parks and at Swan/Dolphin. There is also a mandatory daily resort fee at S/D.
6) Not sure
I didn't realize the S/D had so many draw backs.

disney4life2008

6) Not sure

What a waste of money.

dolce20

The PLUS side is you're smack dab in the center of the deluxe Epcot resort ring and walking distance to all their restaurants, shops, epcot and studios AND share all their transportation (w the exception of magical express). The S/D are "deluxe resorts" in their own right and offer lots of awesome dining and shopping options for about what you'd pay for a moderate level Disney resort, making this an affordable way to get some luxury while being in the center of it all (ON Disney property). Also, you can use or accumulate Starwood points when you stay here.

Bottom line: if you want the proximity to parks that is identical to a luxury level official Disney resort but want to pay moderate level resort prices, this IS the way to go. You just have to forego the magical express and charging to room thing but we are cool with that. A few missing perks don't outweigh the positives for me. Convenience to parks for my family is #1, not the ride from the airport.

There is NOTHING like the full-blown magic of staying at the Disney-run resorts but We find the S/D to be an excellent 2nd choice alternative; WAY better than even the Downtown Disney resorts which are not walking distance to ANY parks and lack atmosphere, too. Keep in mind, S/D were designed by Disney architect superstar Michael Graves. Check out their special rates and packages and give them a try.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

The PLUS side is you're smack dab in the center of the deluxe Epcot resort ring and walking distance to all their restaurants, shops, epcot and studios AND share all their transportation (w the exception of magical express). The S/D are "deluxe resorts" in their own right and offer lots of awesome dining and shopping options for about what you'd pay for a moderate level Disney resort, making this an affordable way to get some luxury while being in the center of it all (ON Disney property). Also, you can use or accumulate Starwood points when you stay here.

But, you still get better perks staying at a Disney Owned hotel and considering you have Yacht & Beach Club & Boardwalk a tad closer.

dolce20

As I stated, nothing beats a Disney run resort but my point is that Yacht Club (albeit magical and gorgeous) is on average $200-$300 more per night. If you can't afford that, S/D is a great 2nd place alternative and while you lose some perks, you don't lose all of them. As far as distance goes, if you really wanna split hairs, S/D is closer to the Studios while Beach Club is closer to Epcot, but they're all in the same circle. They all share the same boat to those parks, as well.

Last edited:

alissafalco

If you want to use the garden grocer you cant.

Regarding Delivery To The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort

We are sorry to announce that we will no longer be offering delivery to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin. We have been advised, by attorney, that the Swan and Dolphin does not allow the delivery of groceries on the premises by any outside service.

Therefore we have concluded delivery to the Swan and Dolphin Resorts immediately as of October 14, 2011.

Our sincerest apologies to any guests of the Swan and Dolphin anticipating the convenience of grocery delivery for their vacation.

dolce20

Too bad about the groceries. I will say, the Dolphin offers to stock your fridge with some basic items that you may need from their stock at a very reasonable cost. Some kind of custom pantry, as they call it.
They still accept stroller deliveries. That I have successfully done at the dolphin recently. ;-)

HollyAD

Parking was 17$ a night in addition to the $20 a night resort fee. Great location! Loved being able to walk to the boardwalk. I saw people with magic bands but we did not go to the parks so we just had a regular room key. No DME but we drove so it wasn't a problem for us.

bgann14

Thanks for any help.

Although few are aware of it -The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels are owned by the Walt Disney World Resort (and MetLife). Disney collects a share of the resorts revenue and currently has the resorts operated by Starwood Hotels and Resorts (Westin and Sheraton) to attract Conventions and guests who otherwise may not stay a Disney Hotel. Disney designed the resorts (has control of any changes made to the resorts) and operates may of the services at the resorts (including select Shops, Restaurants, and the Guest Relations Desks). After Starwood/ Tishman's contract ends, Disney will take complete control of the resorts, this is also why the hotels are able to carry the Disney name. Because of all this guests of the WDW Swan and Dolphin get nearly all of the great Disney benefits.
1) Swan and Dolphin does not participate in Magical Express Service. The resort has an in house airport transportation service provided by Mears (same company that does DME).
2) MagicBands may be purchased (for 12.99) at the resort's Disney Guest Relations desk or Disney gift shops. You DO NOT have to wait until you visit the Parks. MagicBands are not free for Swan and Dolphin guests.
3) MagicBand "touch-to-pay" is only available to guests staying at select Disney resorts (all but swan and dolphin).
4) Dining reservations can be made 180 days prior to arrival. Fastpass+ 60 days prior to arrival. (same as all Disney resorts).
5) Swan and Dolphin guests do get free parking at Disney Theme Parks, Waterparks, and Downtown Disney (just present your resort ID). There is a daily parking fee at the hotels themselves with in/out privileges.
6) Guest of these resorts ARE eligible for Extra Magic Hours.
7) Other benefits available to Swan and Dolphin guests: complimentary scheduled Disney Transportation throughout WDW - provided by Disney (via bus MK, AK, DTD, Waterparks or boat to Epcot and Hollywood Studios - same as other Disney Epcot Deluxe resorts), package delivery of purchases made at the theme parks to the resort. Advance Tee Times at Disney Golf. Disney Guest Relations Desk in both hotels (Tickets, Dining, MyMagic+ and More). Onsite Disney Character Dining nightly and for weekend breakfasts.
I'm sure others will tell you otherwise, but if you don't believe me check their website benefits page: http://swandolphin.com/aboutus/benefits.html

BigTxEars

They are beatiful hotels but that big ugly fish thing on top is well.....just ugly...

Other than that they have a great location on property IMO. I would stay there :)

seafoodbuffet

Also keep in mind that S&D are part of the Starwood chain of hotels which means you can use Starwood points to get discount stays. Coupled with the Starwood category rating for these properties, it'd be reasonably easy to earn quite a few free nights heres. As nice as the extra amenities are at a Disney-owned property, you can't beat "free" (yes I know there's a resort fee, etc) compared to the $2000-$3000 for a week at a Deluxe.

WDWoptmist

Yeah it has drawbacks but you also save a ton of money and get to be walking/boating distance from the Boardwalk/Epcot/Hollywood Studios. If you are an SPG member (free) you can earn points towards free nights pretty quickly and you stay on the 14th floor with some incredible views that you can only get at the Dolphin. We stay at the Dolphin every other trip so we can get our full Disneyfied vacation at a Disney resort and then go to the Dolphin for our more relaxed trips...however we live really close by and are around 1-2 times per month for long weekends so all of the Disney Resort stuff doesnt matter quite as much to us I guess

The Incredible Schmulk

Best beds on property. And when all you're looking for is a good location and a nice place to sleep, the Swan and Dolphin are embarrassingly rich in both of those amenities. They also feature three of the best restaurants in Disney World and my favorite relaxation spot (Cabana Bar). The only deterrent for us staying there, the frequent deal breaker, is the lack of Magical Express. We can stay at Port Orleans for a lesser price point and have the convenience of free, pre-arranged transportation and luggage service to and from the airport. We travel from pretty far away for our Disney trips, and we have no need for a rental car. That transportation is a huge perk for us, and the luggage service is immensely appreciated.

All of that being said, if we were renting a car or lived locally enough to drive, I don't think I'd hesitate to book either hotel. The rooms are just as comfortable as any other deluxe, and the price for that level can't be beat.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've stayed at the Swan about four times over the past 5 years or so, and I really liked it. Each time, I've received a good rate with my AAA discount. The location is wonderful, and transportation to all the parks was very good. Although I enjoy the Disney deluxe hotels, I can't afford those anymore; and have been very pleased with the Swan, instead. True, you don't get the Magic Express, but with all the money I've saved by not staying at a Disney Deluxe category hotel, the cost for a taxi to and from the airport wasn't any big deal for me. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

TXDisney

Ya I stayed at the swan and dolphin for my wedding planning visit for a wedding at disney. And I was unimpressed. We stayed at the grand floridian for our wedding the. We were just back 3 weeks ago and stayed at the boardwalk inn. Disney hotels are the way to go for sure. Makes everything so easy.

SCB1012

Stayed at the Dolphin in May 2014 and was able to have gift bought in Epcot shipped back to hotel. Picked it up the next day at the Dolphin's gift shop. Definitely doesn't have the magical feel of most Disney resorts, but it's an excellent location for half the cost of what you'd pay at Epcot area deluxe resorts. Perfect for Food and Wine Festival goers-easy walk to and from!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom