Downtown Disney Resorts?

sigsegv

DW and I decided that without the AP discounts, it makes no sense for us to stay on property when the rates at the Downtown Disney Resorts are so low. In other words, if we cannot get a good price to stay where we really want to stay (Poly, BW, OKW), then why pay Disney rates to stay at a place we're only 1/2 interested in... We're going to be spending a few nights at WDW in mid-November, after our cruise and the Swan and Dolphin rates for AP holders are not valid the days we'll be there :(.

Because of this decision, we're considering the DD resorts. The problem is, we've never really paid them much attention or read any reviews, so, my question to y'all is, what's good and what's bad? Are there some that are too noisy? Too close to DD? Some where the rooms and/or staff are especially nice? What about transportation? Do they run their own busses of do they just point you to one of the DD bus stops? We're not much into pools, so that's not very important to us, but we do like to hang around the resort, so a nice setting/decor is a definite bonus.

Hopefully, Disney will release room only rates for AP holders shortly, but we're getting quite anxious about this and need to book our room soon.

Thanks!

-sig

Pioneer Hall

My only warning is that if you plan to use their transportation service, then you should definately consider a different plan. Their transportation is simply bad. You will wait a long time for busses and sometimes they will have to skip you due to the fact the busses will be full.

Upvote 0

disneydawg

I stayed at the Grosvenor once. It was nice, the real bonus was being able to walk to Downtown Disney. We never used their transportation. We took our car to the parks instead. Definately get a tower room if you can.

Also, have you considered staying at a moderate? CBR and PO are great places. Maybe you can find a great AP rate at one of them. I would much rather stay in a moderate than one of the DD resorts.

Upvote 0

pax_65

Good Job

I applaud your decision to stay off-property. I am eagerly watching for replies to your note because I'm in much the same boat as you.

Maybe Disney is watching to see how much bookings drop off without offering any discounts. If we delay booking at Disney Hotels (including moderates) or make arrangements off-property, we'll send Disney a message. Hopefully they'll see the errors of their ways.

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks for the warning. We were planning on not renting a car this time since, when we're on site (without our baby and all her associated gear), we've always used Disney transport before and have been -- more or less -- satisfied. This is something good to keep in mind and will add to the cost of staying here.

-sig

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
My only warning is that if you plan to use their transportation service, then you should definately consider a different plan. Their transportation is simply bad. You will wait a long time for busses and sometimes they will have to skip you due to the fact the busses will be full.

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Originally posted by disneydawg
I stayed at the Grosvenor once. It was nice, the real bonus was being able to walk to Downtown Disney. We never used their transportation. We took our car to the parks instead. Definately get a tower room if you can.

Ah, thanks for the tips.

Also, have you considered staying at a moderate? CBR and PO are great places. Maybe you can find a great AP rate at one of them. I would much rather stay in a moderate than one of the DD resorts.

Well, that's the problem. A) as of the last time I checked, there are no AP rates for Disney hotels for mid-November and B) our enthusiasm for the moderates just doesn't justify the rack rates. Maybe if the original PO were open, we'd consider it, but none of the other mods really excite us to the point where we want to spend the rack rate.

-sig

Upvote 0

pax_65

Originally posted by sigsegv

Well, that's the problem. A) as of the last time I checked, there are no AP rates for Disney hotels for mid-November and B) our enthusiasm for the moderates just doesn't justify the rack rates. Maybe if the original PO were open, we'd consider it, but none of the other mods really excite us to the point where we want to spend the rack rate.

-sig

I feel EXACTLY the same way. It's one thing to get a good rate on a great hotel like Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Contemporary. It's another thing entirely to pay full price for a hotel like the Caribbean Beach, especially when there are so many good hotels to choose from in the area.

Jon

Upvote 0

rjmagic16

I just recently stayed at the Marriott in DTD and it was ok.
Just remember that there is a huge difference in a hotel and Disney Resort.
The rooms were ok and the service was ok nothing like Disney resorts. and the Transportation was horrible. You share a bus with all the other resorts and that bus takes you to the transportation and ticket center so you can board another bus.
And it is worse if you want to get back.
A cab from the hotel to any palace in disney will cost $18 to $20
I usually stay on property and have a AP and i think just for convience alone the extra money is worth it.

Hope this helps:)

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Originally posted by pax_65
I feel EXACTLY the same way. It's one thing to get a good rate on a great hotel like Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Contemporary. It's another thing entirely to pay full price for a hotel like the Caribbean Beach, especially when there are so many good hotels to choose from in the area.

Jon

It's nice to know we're not the only ones who feel like this. We were thinking about saving our DVC points for the next use year, but we might just use them for this short stay and stay at OWK or WLV. We really do want to stay on property.

-sig

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Originally posted by rjmagic16
I just recently stayed at the Marriott in DTD and it was ok.
Just remember that there is a huge difference in a hotel and Disney Resort.
The rooms were ok and the service was ok nothing like Disney resorts. and the Transportation was horrible. You share a bus with all the other resorts and that bus takes you to the transportation and ticket center so you can board another bus.
And it is worse if you want to get back.
A cab from the hotel to any palace in disney will cost $18 to $20
I usually stay on property and have a AP and i think just for convience alone the extra money is worth it.

Hope this helps:)

Yeah. DW and I really don't want to stay at DTD. We were talking about it last night and will probably do something with DVC points, even though we were hoping to save next year's points for the following year.

-sig

Upvote 0

pax_65

Originally posted by sigsegv
It's nice to know we're not the only ones who feel like this. We were thinking about saving our DVC points for the next use year, but we might just use them for this short stay and stay at OWK or WLV. We really do want to stay on property.

-sig

Once you stay in OKW, WLV, Boardwalk, etc. you become VERY spoiled. Any hotel room is pretty lame, but a deluxe resort like Animal Kingdom or Contemporary is too cool not to go after a good rate. While I like Coronado, Port Orleans, and even Caribbean Beach (to a lesser extent), there's NO WAY I'm paying full rack rate for them.

A few rumors on these boards that AP rates will be announced at the end of the month. Let's hope so...

Jon

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Originally posted by pax_65
Once you stay in OKW, WLV, Boardwalk, etc. you become VERY spoiled. Any hotel room is pretty lame, but a deluxe resort like Animal Kingdom or Contemporary is too cool not to go after a good rate. While I like Coronado, Port Orleans, and even Caribbean Beach (to a lesser extent), there's NO WAY I'm paying full rack rate for them.

A few rumors on these boards that AP rates will be announced at the end of the month. Let's hope so...

Jon

Oh, I know. We've stayed at the GF, WL, and BWV. They're all great.

We just pulled the trigger and reserved a 1-br villa at WLV. We saw them just after they opened in 2000 (when we stayed at the WL) and they look really nice. We're so happy to have firmed up our resort plans.

As for the AP rates... we'll keep our eyes open for them, but unless it's a really killer deal, it makes more sense for us to use our points.

Thanks all.

-sig

Upvote 0

danny30uk

we stayed at the wyndham palace last year had a really nice time.make sure you ask for the main building as we were put in the island building first night and although it looked nice was really noisey.ive seen some really good rates for the wyndham so maybe you should check it out.as for the transportation,the wyndham is only a 5 minute walk from DD so its easier to walk there and use disney buses to go to the parks also if you get a room facing DD you can see the fireworks from your room at night at epcot or MK

Upvote 0

Kaleigh

My family and I stayed at the Grosvenor in 1996 and it was very nice. As for transportation, I remember us sometimes using theirs and sometimes walking across the street to DD and using Disney transportation. We are actually looking into staying at the Courtyard when we go soon. Many people recently have gotten a room there on Priceline for 30 dollars a night by choosing Disney area and 2 and 1/2 stars. So, we figure it is worth a shot! HTH!

Upvote 0

Redvette

I have stayed at both the Courtyard and the Hilton and regretted it both times. Both of these are fine hotels, there is nothing wrong with them, but you might as well be in Peoria or Cleveland, there is no magic there. But at Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs or Port Orleans, it feels like you are still at the parks, at least you are still in the magic. I can hang at the Poly all day, and never feel like I even have to go to a park. For me there is nothing worse than closing Epcot with Illuminations and hopping on a bus to go back to Peoria.

Upvote 0

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Resorts

My sentiments exactly. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to stay at The Polyenesian Resort, The Contemporary, Fort Wilderness Campground, and now The ALL Star Sports Resort. And there is "nothing" like staying "on property". There is a lot out there right now about AP Rates, package deals, and such. And there is some good argument on both sides. But I love having the opportunity to stay on property.
And we look forward to our next trip asap to stay there again.

Upvote 0

copper

I recently switched my reservation from Hotel Royal Plaza DTD to the Dolphin because of the great AP rate and easy access to the parks. I'll be traveling in late October with my 9 yr old twins without a car and I don't want to wait for a bus everywhere I go. I've stayed at The Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, BWV, ASM & ASMusic and the Dolphin. The Epcot resorts offer better transportation options. You really only have to get on a bus to one park, AK. We always end up at Epcot in the evening and it's great to be able to walk back to you room. If I had a car for this trip then I would definately try a DTD resort. I've stayed at the Days inn on Palm Pkwy near DTD and it was a quicker drive each day to the parks then any Disney bus I've ever taken, but of course no Disney magic. The DTD resorts look very close to US 4 and I'm curious If they can hear the highway? The Days inn was very close to US 4 and the highway noise deafening! I was up all night listening to cars zoom down the highway. The hotel Royal Plaza, where I was originally booked, is right on US 4, so that was the deciding factor in me switching to a Disney hotel. I'm OK with staying off property with a car but be prepared to feel guilty about not booking a room in Disney. This is my last trip with my AP and I probably won't go to WDW next year so I'm biting the bullet and spending $139 at the Dolphin instead of $59 at Hotel Royal Plaza!

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Being "out of the magic" was our biggest concern too. I've been to WDW world before where I've stayed off property and, while it's always nice to be at WDW, it doesn't feel like you're completely there. (Then again, DW would claim that I'm never really there. :hammer: Hello DW! :wave: )

Anyway, we just couldn't stand the thought of being off property to finish our anniversary trip (and first trip alone together since DD was born), so we decided to spend the DVC points we were going to save. WLV, here we come! :D

-sig

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom