Downtown Disney: how it should be.

disneyinsider1

Original Poster
I say I thought up some very good ideas that would keep Pleasure Island and continue to expand the left out area.
West Side:
Disney Quest:Completely upgrade everything! Get games that are actually like today's games.
Make all the extra $$ experiences,make DQ a one price for everything.
:Make a dock along the west side to the New Pleasure Island across from The West Side,for the all new WOC type show.A brand new espn club will replace house of blues,
(new area): Color Boulevard:
The grassy area were PI is would be seating for the first Downtown Disney outdoor show: World Of Color:featuring 360 degree screens that show classic Disney movies to today's: featuring Pyro technics that blow your mind: music will be memorable Disney music,or today's hits:
Then a new teen hangout spot called Cool which has computers,Xbox 360,wii,playstation, also a new experience is we're teens can create the own song at one station and then a Dj would play anyone's hits that they made:
2 brand new stage shows: one on Cinderella,and one were mickey and friends help bring back color to the black and white world.
ADDING MORE LATER

TDF

The way you are making out DTD is that it is a theme park. While I enjoy the additions you are adding on, I think you should remember that DTD is mainly a shopping/ nighttime district.

Tip Top Club

Why Get rid of House of Blues?! They already killed my other clubs! Wasn't that enough for you people?! Clearly they make money, whenever they have a concert it's sold out....

MA Screamin'

Why Get rid of House of Blues?! They already killed my other clubs! Wasn't that enough for you people?! Clearly they make money, whenever they have a concert it's sold out....

You make a good point. They already have WWOS complex, so Disney doesn't need much more ESPN. But still, disneyinsider1, good idea.

tman2000

We need to totally rethink DTD.

It's sort of a planning 'accident'. You had Pleasure Island. Then they added a few shops to the East. Then they shut down Pleasure Island. Then they took the extra land to the West to put a couple of MegaStores, one's closed, DisneyQuest is half of what it used to be. See where I'm going?

The biggest problem is that DTD is too spread out. Also, there's no meaningful flow between attractions.

There's sort of this House of Blues thing, and well, when I go to the movies there's this candy and magnet store, and then the Disney Store is cool, but I think there are these other stores - is there a christmas one? - anyway I have to walk through this pleasure place with a harley store and a large hill to get there, or is it back where I was?

See?

They need to convert Pleasure Island into something to 'do'. Yes with the nightly concerts - but how about a large open air food court? Gourmet fast food windows (boutique chains).

Throw in a couple 'must see' shops here. I like the idea of a crazy magic shop, but the one they have is limited. I'm talking about stores where you're like: "we have to go check out that place with the ... again", every time. Line that place with bigger restaurants, so the ambiance of the 'stuff is happening' atmosphere floats in.

Add 2 or three small attractions. Short, but fun and good-quality rides (free to ride, sort of - wait just a sec). These give people a reason to invest time to come. But they're not big enough to make the place about rides.

Keep the big ticket stuff at the periphery - the theatres, la Nouba. But extend the 'reach' of the central area so it feels integrated with the other area (ooh, would be hard. I say the best way is to maintain a 'sky line'. This way when you're in the food court, you feel like La Nouba is 'part' of your location).

Towards the East, intersperse shops and restaurants more effectively so that you don't have that christmas shoppe 'block'. End the line with big-ticket anchors - like Rainforest Cafe, but put two there, and have them 'deuling' in a area planning sense. This way they feel like they are part of a larger 'space' which integrates the whole DTD into one environment. This way you go to DTD, and feel like you're 'there' everywhere 'there'.

Of course, the central food court has both Rainforest cafe and La Nouba in line of sight view.

This is pretty close to the Hyperion Wharf concept, except I would have taken it further.

Also, entry is controlled: free for pass holders (any time that day, or an unused pass) and hotel guests. Maybe a $20 entry for locals who just want to hang. I suppose West End would be outside the 'gate' to support the businesses there.

MA Screamin'

We need to totally rethink DTD.

It's sort of a planning 'accident'. You had Pleasure Island. Then they added a few shops to the East. Then they shut down Pleasure Island. Then they took the extra land to the West to put a couple of MegaStores, one's closed, DisneyQuest is half of what it used to be. See where I'm going?

The biggest problem is that DTD is too spread out. Also, there's no meaningful flow between attractions.

There's sort of this House of Blues thing, and well, when I go to the movies there's this candy and magnet store, and then the Disney Store is cool, but I think there are these other stores - is there a christmas one? - anyway I have to walk through this pleasure place with a harley store and a large hill to get there, or is it back where I was?

See?

They need to convert Pleasure Island into something to 'do'. Yes with the nightly concerts - but how about a large open air food court? Gourmet fast food windows (boutique chains).

Throw in a couple 'must see' shops here. I like the idea of a crazy magic shop, but the one they have is limited. I'm talking about stores where you're like: "we have to go check out that place with the ... again", every time. Line that place with bigger restaurants, so the ambiance of the 'stuff is happening' atmosphere floats in.

Add 2 or three small attractions. Short, but fun and good-quality rides (free to ride, sort of - wait just a sec). These give people a reason to invest time to come. But they're not big enough to make the place about rides.

Keep the big ticket stuff at the periphery - the theatres, la Nouba. But extend the 'reach' of the central area so it feels integrated with the other area (ooh, would be hard. I say the best way is to maintain a 'sky line'. This way when you're in the food court, you feel like La Nouba is 'part' of your location).

Towards the East, intersperse shops and restaurants more effectively so that you don't have that christmas shoppe 'block'. End the line with big-ticket anchors - like Rainforest Cafe, but put two there, and have them 'deuling' in a area planning sense. This way they feel like they are part of a larger 'space' which integrates the whole DTD into one environment. This way you go to DTD, and feel like you're 'there' everywhere 'there'.

Of course, the central food court has both Rainforest cafe and La Nouba in line of sight view.

This is pretty close to the Hyperion Wharf concept, except I would have taken it further.

Also, entry is controlled: free for pass holders (any time that day, or an unused pass) and hotel guests. Maybe a $20 entry for locals who just want to hang. I suppose West End would be outside the 'gate' to support the businesses there.

I had an idea of a Paradise Pier like area with a ferris-wheel, something like the Maliboomer, boardwalk games, etc. Also, the magic shop sounds like a cool idea, really nice! :)

MickeyGoof

Any entrance fee will turn people off. Who wants to pay to enter a shopping mall? I wouldn't. Yes, DTD needs to be reimagined, but as the name suggests, as a downtown! Shopping, restaurants, nightclubs are all expected. Disney quest is OK, but why not something for the kiddies, ala Jungle Java or something requiring physical activity? It's sorely lacking in most places and most parents will agree that their kids need to run off their steam!

While I get the constant Disney themed stores, a mix of Unique non-Disney stuff would be welcomed. What about bizarre style kiosks or artist market, particularly on the West end?

Last time I went, there were street performers! That was awesome. More of that! A "Downtown" needs to be bustling, exciting and happening. It felt that way during the Holiday season, it needs to carry through the rest of the year, too.

goofy donald

Any entrance fee will turn people off. Who wants to pay to enter a shopping mall? I wouldn't. Yes, DTD needs to be reimagined, but as the name suggests, as a downtown! Shopping, restaurants, nightclubs are all expected. Disney quest is OK, but why not something for the kiddies, ala Jungle Java or something requiring physical activity? It's sorely lacking in most places and most parents will agree that their kids need to run off their steam!

While I get the constant Disney themed stores, a mix of Unique non-Disney stuff would be welcomed. What about bizarre style kiosks or artist market, particularly on the West end?

Last time I went, there were street performers! That was awesome. More of that! A "Downtown" needs to be bustling, exciting and happening. It felt that way during the Holiday season, it needs to carry through the rest of the year, too.

I think I know a way to resolve this issue and give the place an overlying theme. If you can revisit the hyperion warf concept and add attractions then I think Pleasure island would be a great place. There could be gates at the entrances to only pleasure island where guests would only have to show their hotel room key for admission (non disney hotel guests could pay a small admission at a ticket booth). doing this provides the feel of something disney is giving you for free and provides an incentive for guests to stay in shopping areas. there could be a few games like those seen at boardwalk, a few performers, ferris wheel, a small carousel maybe a scrambler and some bumber cars, stuff like that. then place their small nick-nack type stores and some qs locations in and around the area and add thousands of lights over it all in true old school style. all they would have to do to acomplish this is move raglan road and portabello into either west side or market place and sosa and curl to west side and start that area from scratch. market place then becomes themed to the harbour that the amusement park is attached to and west side is the city portion, this shows a nice transition i think between the old world fishing towns and the new world city life, also with tenants coming in from the old pleasure island and a few new pick ups the space would be filled up pretty quick preventing the too spread out problem because there's always something to take your attention. to top it off, a redo of disney quest to essentially make it a 4 1/2th gate worth of new unique offerings, a new cirque de solie show, and finally a small night time fireworks or WOC-esque show offered around four times a week that is just enough to be exciting for guests to keep them shopping a little longer. thats just what I in vision, thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom