Don't Count Hong Kong Out Just Yet

Richboy

Original Poster
I'll admit that Hong Kong Disneyland will open on September 12th with a short attraction roster, but all the complaining and sudden backlash against the park I believe is not justified. When Disneyland opened in 1955, it was home to a mere 14 attractions. While the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris opened with considerable more attractions, both were missing "classic" attractions that Hong Kong is getting scrutinized for not having. Magic Kingdom did not open with a Pirates of the Caribbean, and Disneyland Paris didn't have Splash or Space Mountain when it opened. Disney-MGM Studios opened with only 8 attractions. Now, the roster has doubled. Animal Kingdom opened with 18 attractions. With the Asia & Dinoland U.S.A expansions, as well as the Expedition Everest attraction coming in 2006, the roster has increased to 21 attractions, enough to be considered a full-day park. And the Hong Kong park seems to have an ambitious Phase II, with the addition of "its a small world," Peter Pan's Flight, an Autopia that is nearly finished, and plans for a unique flume-style version of Pirates of The Caribbean are underway. Also in the works seems to be a jungle-themed Haunted Mansion for Adventureland, as well as a roller coaster in the same vein as Raging Spirits. That's six new rides already underway to open sometime before 2008, giving the attraction list a boost from 16 to 22 attractions, enough for a full day at the park. I know you may be thinking that Disneyland Paris also had an ambitious Phase II that never came to realization, but Paris is much different that Hong Kong. Not only do the Chinese seem open to embrace the new Disney park, but the park was built smoothly without any budget issues. Also, the biggest reason for Paris's demise was the construction of six huge hotels that remained extremely underbooked for the first several years of opening. At first look Hong Kong may seem small but the master plan for Hong is much smarter than Paris. The plan for Paris was to pour as much money possible into a park that they hoped would be so succesful that they expected to gain the money back by first year's end. The plan for Hong Kong seems to be to wait to see how succesful the park is before spending more money on the park. In time, I believe that Hong Kong Disneyland will be able to stand in the same league as its Europeon, Japanese, & American counterparts.

CaptainMichael

Hey, I agree with you. HK Disneyland has great potential. I hope to one day visit there, as well as the other Disney parks around the world. I'm pretty sure that everyone here wants it to be a success.

stitchcastle

Richboy said:
In time, I believe that Hong Kong Disneyland will be able to stand in the same league as its Europeon, Japanese, & American counterparts.

I think it already does. It is clearly one of the most beautiful Disney parks ever created (it's right up there with TDS, DAK, and DLP). It is also gearing up to be a truly unique MK-style park.

I personally adore this new addition to the Disney theme park family. It is the fruit of all the knowledge and experience garnered from the 4 previous Disney destinations. It is also a testament to how "Disneyland" is not just about the rides but rather a place where you could be surrounded and engulfed in the Disney magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom