Doing Orlando without a car - How do we get to Discovery Cove???

disneyworld07

Original Poster
Hi everyone. I have a question for you Disney geniouses out there. When we are staying in Pop Century, we would like to go off for four or five days to some of the other orlando attractions...these include:

Sea World Orlando
Discovery Cove
Universal Studios
Islands of adventure

Do virgin provide transfers from disney?? If not i know about mears, lynx and quick silver but i wondered if anyone knows if they go to Discovery Cove? Also could anyone possibly give any estimate costs for the above destinations?? Can these be easily booked at the POP Century resort, or should we book before we fly over (from UK).

Looking forward to your responses!

Many thanks....

meryll83

We did all this last year (we were at All Star Movies) as neither of us wanted to drive, so here goes:

SEA WORLD
Sea World was pretty easy, I asked a guy at the TTC and he gave me a schedule and told me to get on the Lynx bus and that stops right opposite Sea World. We ended up doing this trip twice, once for SeaWorld and once for Discover Cove. (see below)
Here is a link to the timetable/route map - You want bus number 50:
http://www.golynx.com/routes.cfm

You just need to cross the road and walk through SeaWorld's car park. Really easy and it was only about $1.50 a trip. I don't think we could buy a return for some reason so I think we had to buy a single each time we rode.

DISCOVERY COVE
Close to SeaWorld's entrance there is a free courtesy phone to Discovery Cove, you just call them up and someone brings a car round to collect you (free), takes like 5 minutes. When you're done they take you back to Sea World's entrance (as we were passing the bus stop we asked if we could just jump out there to save walking back through the car park again!!)

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS / ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE
Ok, so we cheated, at our Virgin Holidays rep meeting on our first day we bought some Orlando transfer vouchers. These basically ended up being prepaid vouchers for Mears which you could use for any main park/attraction in the Orlando area. We had to ring up the night before to arrange a pickup time in the morning, and then ring from the parks when we wanted to leave, and they would arrange a time about an hour later to take you home.
So, I'm guessing (not sure) that Virgin will have made money on this, so next time we will probably do this again, but just ring Mears directly. I think it was about $7 each one way. You may be able to pre-purchase these in the UK, but I'm not definite about that.
If you're feeling adventurous, it appears from maps we saw that you can do it by bus if you do the TTC-SeaWorld route with Lynx again. At the SeaWorld bus stop you can then take the I-Ride trolley (this is cheap I believe, about 50 cents a journey) up to Universal. I'm not sure if there is a direct trolley or if you would need to change somewhere though. I'm sure if you search the I-Ride Trolley website you would be able to figure this out.
Personally I'm glad we opted for a transfer here, as it would have been a bit of a faff using different buses etc. They were probably better value here also, with Universal being further away.

We could have used the vouchers for SW and DC, and this could still be a plan if you don't want the hassle of waiting for public transportation, and having to first get to SeaWorld and then wait for Discovery Cove to collect you.
But the SeaWorld bus is really easy, it's only about 3 or 4 stops from the TTC and definitely you're cheapest way.

Hope this has been helpful, if you need any further explanation just let me know, I know I waffle a bit!! :animwink:

disneyworld07

Original Poster
Hi and thanks to everyone. Both me and my partener are too young to rent a car (as we will only be 19!)....meryl your response was absolutely fantastic - you gave me all the information i needed, i cannot thank you enough! It seems that you did pretty much exactly what we will be doing!! That advice was brilliant - a real help!
Many, many, many thanks!!!

disneyworld07

Original Poster
I only have one question whats the TTC? I know its probably a stupid question but i just cant think! Thank you so much once again, iv been desperate to hear some detailed advice!!! That was fab!

meryll83

Sorry hun,
The TTC is the Transportation and Ticket Centre.
You know it? Where the monorail station to go to Magic Kingdom or Epcot is, or the ferry to MK. (On the other side of the lagoon to MK, near the Polynesian resort) - I'm sure you know where I mean, but I'm just trying to clarify!

Like I said, need any more help, just let me know! I'm just glad I can help from my experience!

disneyworld07

Original Poster
Hi Meryll, thanks again, and just one last question, lol, where do you catch the bus from?? (disney end) does it stop near to POP Century or did you have to go a long way to get to a stop?? Thanks so much!

meryll83

Sorry, the bus itself goes from the TTC, you'll see the bus stop sign, it's a big paw.

This is where it is a bit faffy. (I forgot about this part earlier, sorry)

You need to get the Disney transportation bus from Pop to the Magic Kingdom.
This will take you right outside the MK, so you have to take the monorail back round to the TTC, where you can catch the Lynx bus.

Might be a good idea to plan your outside excursions on an extra magic hour morning at the MK, that way you can do everything early, as I think the resort buses only start running about an hour or so before the parks open.

We didn't arrive at SeaWorld or Discovery Cove for opening, but we didn't find that we ended up in a big crowd of latecomers.

I would still recommend using vouchers or Mears for Universal, as you would lose a fair bit of valuable time doing all the various links. We did this to ensure we arrived for the opening, we were the first 'sacrifices' on The Revenge of the Mummy that day! :lol:

If you're wanting to be at SW or DC for opening and you can't do it on a MK EMH morning, then again, you might want to use Mears, but as I said, we didn't find it hindered us to arrive a little after opening. (we went during the week, if you were planning to visit on a weekend it may well be worth being there for opening)

disneyworld07

Original Poster
Hi Meryll, thanks again for your detailed response you have made such a huge difference to our planning. Its fantastic to hear from someone who gives such detail - theres nothing worse than a basic response (like the ones i seem to get from disney) that dont really help. I have printed out your responses and they are in the planning file!! Thanks so much, your advice is brilliant,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom