Dogs and WDW???

good2cu

I was planning a vacation as per usual for the summer months and suddenly thought if you could bring your dog to wdw :) need to get away from the awful weather before it arrives!!!!

I did a quick search on here (nothing) and a quick google search and found that there are kennels you can leave your dog in for the day/night etc.

But i was thinking more of a full on experience, are they any hotels that allow you to bring well behaved dogs with you? can you take them into the parks? (don't remember seeing any). Anybody had any experience with the kennels?

thx :king:

DisneyJoe

Only Service Animals are allowed in the parks.

The only onsite resort that allows dogs is the Ft Wilderness Campgrounds - and only certain tentsites or camper loops...

Upvote 0

DisneyMom4

There are some off-site hotels that allow pets. No Disney resort (other than a few campsites) allow pets. Service dogs are an exception.

The kennels at Disney are located near the TTC. You have to walk your dog though - if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

You cannot bring pets into the parks with you, and the only resort you can stay at with your pet is the Fort Wilderness Campground. At least one of the Universal hotels allows pets; it seems like all of the Loews brand hotels allow pets.

Upvote 0

MyLittleAngels

Last week I saw a man with his silky terrier on his lap being wheeled around MK by a family member. I'm still curious as to why the dog was there .. they aren't a standard breed for service animals.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Last week I saw a man with his silky terrier on his lap being wheeled around MK by a family member. I'm still curious as to why the dog was there .. they aren't a standard breed for service animals.

Service animals are no longer necessarily your standard seeing-eye dog. Some people have service animals for stress/panic/anxiety issues, some people have service animals to detect when they may have a seizure, etc. Heck, service animals don't even necessarily have to be a dog anymore. And service animals, no matter what the breed or species and no matter what their purpose, are allowed to go with their owners to the supermarket, mall, and even WDW. My guess is that the man you saw at the MK had some other issue for which a service animal was necessary, and under the ADA, they cannot tell him that he is not allowed to bring his animal with him inside the park.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Raven66

Just wondering-Do they have to have some certification for it to be a service animal?

I suffer from panic attacks. As a matter of fact they've only started the last year or so, pretty scary. Anyway, I have just your run of the mill mutt, I have 2 actually but this is really just about one. I was sitting in a chair just watching tv and all of a sudden one hit me. My husband and daughter were both out of the room. My dog, Seeka, came over jumped into my lap, and trust me when I say she is not a lap dog(part black lab part chow), licked me and got down where she could get my hand on her head. Then she let out 3 loud different sounding barks that brought my husband running. :) So moral of the story is, just because a dog isn't a technical service dog doesn't mean they aren't. When the other dog saw how much attention Seeka was getting when I would have an attack he would come running too, but his was mostly to grab the brown paper bag I was breathing into. :lol:

EDIT:I guess I should say I'm not bringing her to Disney with us. I sometimes get a little anxious on Space Mountain, but I just can't see her strapped into the seat with me. :)

Upvote 0

I-4Warrior

Make sure you bring an updated shot record with you (with signature of your vet and the vets contact information). They're rather particular about that. At one point we brought our shot record but it wasn't signed by the vet, so they had to call the office and verify the records. This was a Saturday and by some stroke of luck, the vet happened to go in that morning. We live in St. Pete and while it's not too far a drive, we didn't want to have to drive all the way home to drop off the dog just to drive back to the parks.

We've only used the Epcot kennel, and think it's wonderful so it's the one we keep using (We even brought our cat there once). There is a huge amount of ground near the kennel that you can take your let your dog run (as long as you can trust your dog not to take off away from you. I'd hate to go on a dog search at such a massive place). One of the kennel CMs even took a picture of us with out dog and cat with Spaceship Earth in the background, though it had to be outside the gates. The furry ones aren't allowed in.

Upvote 0

good2cu

Original Poster
Service animal..eh?

homero-feliz-bird.jpg

thanks for the replies, sadly as going for a week or two it would be unfair in my eyes to leave a dog in a kennel for that long so will have to leave her with friends/family :)

thx

Upvote 0

maelstrom

(We even brought our cat there once)

I never hear of people bringing their cats to the WDW kennels. How did your kitty fare in the kennel?

If we ever brought Chloe (the kitty) to WDW, we'd probably rent a camper to stay at Fort Wilderness and keep her in there with us; less stress on her, less stress on us.

Upvote 0

smk

I don't think I would bring my dog. We kennel him at home and have been happy with the local petsuites. He gets a doggie condo, complete with bed and TV, playtime and all the potty breaks he needs. I pay extra for playtime and breaks other than what they provide. If he were with me I think I would worry about him getting bored and chewing up a hotel room :eek:. If I kennel him here at home it is "out of sight out of mind" for me. If I brought him and he was miserable in the kennel there I would be miserable too, plus I would have to take time out of my day to make sure to walk him three times a day, at the very least. If he his at his home kennel they take him out and play with him. At least I hope they do! He always seems happy when we get him home. I love my bubby, and I would really be unhappy if anyone ever mistreated him.

I too have heard of therapy dogs. It makes perfect sense to me that someone could have a dog just to calm their nerves. I tell my bubby everything and he is never mad at me, never tells my secrets and always is happy to see me. He had a litermate that developed seizures and sadly died in Febuary :cry:, broke my heart to lose him, but the other dogs sensed something was wrong with the one having seizures and acted different around him, like they sensed he was sick, including dragging us to the dog having seizures so we would know. So dogs are really in tune with others, including other dogs. In short, around my house dogs rule!

Upvote 0

Raven66

Technically no.
http://www.affluent.net/sara/sara4.htm

And stories like that are why I'm a dog lover :)

I think dogs should be certified. There is so many things that they can do for people who need them. I love my dogs (and cat) as well but they can sometimes be a pain in the behind. So I think the vacation is as much for them as it is for us. I kennel them at their vet's office and they have fun there. And they get to share a kennel so they aren't apart. My cat stays here and we have someone check on him every day. He loves it, he can actually walk across the carpet with out being "attacked" by dogs.:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom