Does WDW Just Have Too Many Things?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Between all the parks, the shows, the attractions, the restaurants, the hotels, and the extra stuff, does WDW have too much to maintain at the highest level?

I am a Disney apologist, but can see certain aspects of the theme parks in particular floundering.

Attractions need paint, maintenance, updating, and general improvements. As Disney has expanded, parks seem to have taken a backseat to other profit generators like ESPN, ABC, motion pictures, etc. This partially makes sense because of the huge fixed costs associated with running a theme park and it being one of their lower margin businesses.

I think they do a phenomenal overall job. However, I can't help but wonder if the quality of the parks would improve if they didn't have SO much in them.

Perhaps they never should have opened Animal Kingdom if they couldn't do it properly, for example.

Then you wonder, would you rather have a poorly maintained Splash Mountain or no Splash Mountain at all? Would you give up Animal Kingdom if they put that money into improving refreshing EPCOT to a true image of tomorrow, completely refresh (not plus) Magic Kingdom, and expand/finish Hollywood Studios?

With Shareholders and the business aspect to running the parks, everything they do always has an opportunity cost. It seems this is a larger emphasis on their philosophy than before. It used to be there was no expense spared to make the theme parks as enjoyable and magical as possible. I think Disney still maintains that culture to a certain extent, but it has been lost in the name of expansion.

While this has given us more attractions and additional theme parks, I think it has partially taken away from the Disney magic and overall quality of the product. We talk about Disneyland having a bit higher standards and I think it's largely because it's done on a much smaller scale. Less land, fewer attractions, and fewer competing interests.

Thoughts?

zooey

Between all the parks, the shows, the attractions, the restaurants, the hotels, and the extra stuff, does WDW have too much to maintain at the highest level?

I am a Disney apologist, but can see certain aspects of the theme parks in particular floundering.

Attractions need paint, maintenance, updating, and general improvements. As Disney has expanded, parks seem to have taken a backseat to other profit generators like ESPN, ABC, motion pictures, etc. This partially makes sense because of the huge fixed costs associated with running a theme park and it being one of their lower margin businesses.

I think they do a phenomenal overall job. However, I can't help but wonder if the quality of the parks would improve if they didn't have SO much in them.

Perhaps they never should have opened Animal Kingdom if they couldn't do it properly, for example.

Then you wonder, would you rather have a poorly maintained Splash Mountain or no Splash Mountain at all? Would you give up Animal Kingdom if they put that money into improving refreshing EPCOT to a true image of tomorrow, completely refresh (not plus) Magic Kingdom, and expand/finish Hollywood Studios?

With Shareholders and the business aspect to running the parks, everything they do always has an opportunity cost. It seems this is a larger emphasis on their philosophy than before. It used to be there was no expense spared to make the theme parks as enjoyable and magical as possible. I think Disney still maintains that culture to a certain extent, but it has been lost in the name of expansion.

While this has given us more attractions and additional theme parks, I think it has partially taken away from the Disney magic and overall quality of the product. We talk about Disneyland having a bit higher standards and I think it's largely because it's done on a much smaller scale. Less land, fewer attractions, and fewer competing interests.

Thoughts?

nah.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think a lot of folks complain for a lot of reasons, but in my experience the parks are generally in good shape. Are they perfect? No, but I've never been disappointed being there.

I find a lot of nostalgia for the "good old days" to be misplaced. I see some things that haven't been repaired or replaced for good reason [the yeti] but people insist on perfection because that's the way Walt would have wanted it. Well, I've seen pictures of the opening of DL and the landscaping was horrible, many attractions weren't completed and it was entirely unimpressive in my view. Walt went along with that because money was tight and he needed to open to start some revenue coming in to pay the bills. In the end, I judge based on my experience and have never found WDW to be lacking. :shrug:

Others are welcome to their opinions. :king:

wolf359

My short answer is yes, Walt Disney World has too much in it.

The Disney Decade building boom from '88 to '98 was both a blessing and a curse. It is great that there is so much to do and see and it certainly helps make every vacation unique but there is so much to have to keep and maintain it is clearly a drain on the company focus and resources.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
There might be something to being too ambitious with certain attractions. The obvious one is Expedition Everest. For them to build the Yeti and not have a plan on maintaining it makes a great ride disappointing.

Of course, I want them to build big and bring big dreams to reality, but they can't just let stuff go to hell because it's too hard or too expensive to fix. That can't happen and shows a disconnect between practicing their culture of making the highest quality attractions and actually committing to maintaining those attractions to their opening day glory. Splash Mountain is another.

It's like they are all in when the project starts, but the high cost of maintenance and the reality that things go wrong along the way apparently cause them to abandon the original concept in favor of a cheaper "solution."

nerdboyrockstar

With the way Disney treats their parks as of late, you would think they were hurting for cash. Sorry. I'm not buying it. Between the four best-attended parks in the country, restaurants, merchandise, hotels, vacation club sales, additional ticket experiences, etc., there really is absolutely no reason why the parks and their attractions aren't receiving plusses or brand new attractions at least every other year.

zooey

With the way Disney treats their parks as of late, you would think they were hurting for cash. Sorry. I'm not buying it. Between the four best-attended parks in the country, restaurants, merchandise, hotels, vacation club sales, additional ticket experiences, etc., there really is absolutely no reason why the parks and their attractions aren't receiving plusses or brand new attractions at least every other year.

Every other years for an E ticket isn't realistic, if that's what you mean.
Also, Disney is in a precarious spot with fans and the general public. They can't change anything without backlash, yet they're supposed to have brand new things all the time that make everyone happy.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Utter bollocks! Disney should not be excused from keeping current because of a few fan boy zealots with blogs. I think its great that some things are being refreshed but I think its a disgrace that in general there has been limited if any advancement on major offerings since EE opened and that both Epcot and theMK offer fewer attractions than on my first visit.

I know the nostalgia mob are easily pleased but many people want new experiences and while fan boys trot out the fail safe line about a new e-ticket every year they are not so keen to accept the fact that its a damn site longer than that since the MK had one or that the studios are a 4 attraction park.

Scuttle

Ill say this, my girlfriend and I have been passholders for 3 years and live 30 miles away and we haven't come close to doing everything at WDW. And we even stay at the resorts for the weekend a few times a year.

zooey

Utter bollocks! Disney should not be excused from keeping current because of a few fan boy zealots with blogs. I think its great that some things are being refreshed but I think its a disgrace that in general there has been limited if any advancement on major offerings since EE opened and that both Epcot and theMK offer fewer attractions than on my first visit.

I know the nostalgia mob are easily pleased but many people want new experiences and while fan boys trot out the fail safe line about a new e-ticket every year they are not so keen to accept the fact that its a damn site longer than that since the MK had one or that the studios are a 4 attraction park.

The attendance is still there, though. So why would they, at least for now? Plus, you may not be the demographic for FLE, but Disney sees it as a major thing.

Do I want them to do more? Of course I do, I would like imagineers to be as busy as possible, but from a business standpoint, they don't NEED to grow right now.

no!

personally i think that the quality isnt really that bad... i also think that wdw is better then disneyland because they have more to do and more to see.. i would be upset if they didnt have one of the parks.. :cry: i believe that disney has the best theme parks in the world and the quality is unmatched :sohappy: i love you disney!:kiss: but then agian thats just my opinion :animwink:

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I think a lot of folks complain for a lot of reasons, but in my experience the parks are generally in good shape. Are they perfect? No, but I've never been disappointed being there.

I find a lot of nostalgia for the "good old days" to be misplaced. I see some things that haven't been repaired or replaced for good reason [the yeti] but people insist on perfection because that's the way Walt would have wanted it. Well, I've seen pictures of the opening of DL and the landscaping was horrible, many attractions weren't completed and it was entirely unimpressive in my view. Walt went along with that because money was tight and he needed to open to start some revenue coming in to pay the bills. In the end, I judge based on my experience and have never found WDW to be lacking. :shrug:

Others are welcome to their opinions. :king:

Im inclined to agree with Monty!!

Never been disappointed and really compared to other parks Disney are still the Measuring Stick!!

nerdboyrockstar

Every other years for an E ticket isn't realistic, if that's what you mean.
Also, Disney is in a precarious spot with fans and the general public. They can't change anything without backlash, yet they're supposed to have brand new things all the time that make everyone happy.

I didn't say anything about E-tickets. :lol: Just tickets in general..

invader

I don't think there's too much but I think we would have been more pleased had they waited for a fourth gate instead of rushing with it. Imagine the craze there would be on the internet today if we found out there was going to be an "Animal Kingdom."

PoohInABeeSuit

Thoughts?

Totally agree...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom