Does Rivers of America have a strong current?

donaldtoo

Reportedly he had a medical condition and got dizzy and fell in.

Yea, the medical condition is called “intoxication”…!!!!! :D:hilarious:;)
Seriously, though…
I have some medical conditions myself, one of which is supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). It can kick in out of nowhere, and throw me off instantly. During an event of it, I feel a strain (not pain) in my chest and lightheaded, but never to the point where I’ve dropped.
That being said, I also found images of the rafts at both DLR and WDW.
The railing heights definitely appear to be at least 6” taller on those rafts at DLR vs. WDW.
Not falling overboard on the DLR rafts, unless maybe, you’re at the circled net, in the pics below.
I’m a designer for an architectural firm. International Residential Code (IRC) requires a minimum 36” height railing above 30” from the ground, on decks, etc.
We always do a 42” minimum…litigious society and all, these days…!!! ;)
42” is also the minimum on cruise ships.
Not sure how the Tom Sawyer Raft (TSR) code works..!!!!! :hilarious:
Anyway, the “strong current” thing still makes me chuckle…pretty sure there are stronger currents in a bathtub…!!!!! :hilarious:

And, also…
Is there any litigation regarding all this, as that’s many times the case…?! 🤔
You know, litigious society and all..!!! ;)

BD163580-712C-4943-BAFE-2997A5DB0455.jpeg
8683B18C-49E0-4344-B47C-F15870848307.jpeg

Smiley/OCD

Yea, the medical condition is called “intoxication”…!!!!! :D:hilarious:;)
Seriously, though…
I have some medical conditions myself, one of which is supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). It can kick in out of nowhere, and throw me off instantly. During an event of it, I feel a strain (not pain) in my chest and lightheaded, but never to the point where I’ve dropped.
That being said, I also found images of the rafts at both DLR and WDW.
The railing heights definitely appear to be at least 6” taller on those rafts at DLR vs. WDW.
Not falling overboard on the DLR rafts, unless maybe, you’re at the circled net, in the pics below.
I’m a designer for an architectural firm. International Residential Code (IRC) requires a minimum 36” height railing above 30” from the ground, on decks, etc.
We always do a 42” minimum…litigious society and all, these days…!!! ;)
42” is also the minimum on cruise ships.
Not sure how the Tom Sawyer Raft (TSR) code works..!!!!! :hilarious:
Anyway, the “strong current” thing still makes me chuckle…pretty sure there are stronger currents in a bathtub…!!!!! :hilarious:

And, also…
Is there any litigation regarding all this, as that’s many times the case…?! 🤔
You know, litigious society and all..!!! ;)

View attachment 771442View attachment 771443
Honest officer, I honestly swerved because of a medical condition…
Yes, there’s probably a stronger current in your bathtub..especially when you drop the toaster in…

donaldtoo

Honest officer, I honestly swerved because of a medical condition…
Yes, there’s probably a stronger current in your bathtub..especially when you drop the toaster in…

The first part reminds me of a friend of mine back in the day…
He got pulled over (I was also in the car), and when the patrolman came to his car window, he greeted him with “H’lllllooooo ‘ociffer’…!!!”
Next thing, he was trying to walk the “tightrope” and touch his nose…failed miserably, and then got hauled off to the hoosegow…!!!!! :hilarious:

Last edited:

DisAl

At the most, that might describe the water flow in places like Pirates, Small World, Frozen or what used to be Splash Mountain. Those have pumped water that drives the motor-less boats or log, but the rivers have no need for a current. The Jungle cruise have electric driven props, so they don't need water movement. I think the water is circulated by the front and back side of the water at Schweitzer Falls. I'm not sure what is used to move the Stern-wheeler maybe the stern-wheel? And the vehicles that take people to the island are also electric props. Any currents that happen in any other bodies of water there either happens naturally from what ever feeds them or when the pump out the water for maintenance or to fill them back up when they are done.

At any rate, other than Bay Lake, Seven Seas lagoon or the lagoon in Epcot, I pretty sure that none of them are so deep that you can't stand up with your head well above water. That's why they use dye in the water so you can't see the tracks or the bottom.
The rafts that take you to TSI have diesel engines. I got a CM to open it up and let me look at it our last trip.

Goofyernmost

I think they mean a wake. The watercraft is creating a 'current' in the RoA, it's not like a current in a proper river where it flows downhill to a larger body of water. It is just a circuit, no? I am not certain, but I saw this post and it unlocked memories of physics courses. :hilarious:
Considering the speed those things move I would think that the wake from a bug landing on the water would be equivalent to any craft on the RoA.

Goofyernmost

The rafts that take you to TSI have diesel engines. I got a CM to open it up and let me look at it our last trip.
Could be, I suppose, but I am having a problem picturing that. It has been 41 years since I ventured to TSI so my memory of them is pretty spotty. That, of course, means nothing when one considers that my memory of what I did yesterday is pretty spotty at this point in my life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom