Does Disney still own half of A&E?

seascape

Original Poster
Things are getting even more interesting in the Steaming Wars. According to what I have read Discovery+ is actually a partnership with A&E Television. If that is the case, I believe Disney would own 25% of it since they own 50% of A&E TV with Hearst owning the orher half. At least that is still my understanding. If anyond can verify this please let me know?

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

A+E is owned 50% by the Company and 50% by Hearst. A+E operates a variety of cable channels:
•A&E – which offers entertainment programming including original reality and scripted series
•HISTORY – which offers original series and event-driven specials
•Lifetime and Lifetime Real Women – which offer female-focused programming
•Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) – which offers female-focused movies
•FYI – which offers contemporary lifestyle programming
A+E also has a 50% ownership interest in Viceland, a channel offering lifestyle-oriented documentaries and reality series aimed at millennial audiences.
A+E programming is available in approximately 200 countries and territories. A+E’s networks are distributed internationally under multi-year licensing agreements with MVPDs. A+E programming is also sold to international television broadcasters and SVOD services.

seascape

Original Poster
Huh? Disney's deal with Discovery?

If that's what you're asking, Dis has nothing to do with Dis. Dis is its own complete thing.
Actually, Discover+ is a combined offering of Discovery's networks and A&E's networks. The only thing I would like to know is Discovery just paying A&E for the content or is an ownership interest in Discovery+. Personally. I prefer an ownership interest but in any case Disney does have an interest in the success of Discovery+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, Discover+ is a combined offering of Discovery's networks and A&E's networks. The only thing I would like to know is Discovery just paying A&E for the content or is an ownership interest in Discovery+. Personally. I prefer an ownership interest but in any case Disney does have an interest in the success of Discovery+.
Ah.

seascape

Original Poster
Discovery+ is an interesting offering. It could be extremely popular and profitable because it is going worldwide. Discover has been talking about if for a year or so and as a Disney stockholder I hope Disney and Hearst negotiate an equity interest rather than just cash.

It also is another death nail of the cable bundle as I have quickly discovered not paying for the cable boxes for 3 tv in one house and 2 in the other more than make up for the cost of Disney+ and Hulu and the cost of my Amazon Prime membership. Then thanks to all the free streaming services I get all the news I want and other shows and movies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It also is another death nail of the cable bundle as I have quickly discovered not paying for the cable boxes for 3 tv in one house and 2 in the other more than make up for the cost of Disney+ and Hulu and the cost of my Amazon Prime membership. Then thanks to all the free streaming services I get all the news I want and other shows and movies.
Ain't that the truth.

And for those who say that subscriptions will push one over the cost of what they were paying for cable, I keep reminding them that they can sub for just one month at a time, binge a finished season of a series, then unsub.

Hulu+Live is giving me just about everything cable did, and I'm careful about subbing and unsubbing premium streamers.

Slpy3270

Why Disney still owns 50% of A&E when they already own a majority of, and control, National Geographic, which caters to the same audience as A&E, is beyond me.

seascape

Original Poster
Why Disney still owns 50% of A&E when they already own a majority of, and control, National Geographic, which caters to the same audience as A&E, is beyond me.
It all comes down to money. Besides Hearst owns 20% of ESPN and has been a good partner. All Disney has to do is collect their share of the profits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom