Do you need to plan for DL like you do WDW?

ShellyT

Original Poster
We are going to DL in Feb. and I was just wondering if you think we need to plan like we would if we were going to WDW?

We have been to WDW in the past and each time I do like a 6 month out plan, have everything all planned out, dining reserves made, etc.

Do you really need to do all that with DL?

I haven't been to DL in about 15 years and well back then, we just showed up! LOL!

Thanks for any info!

lilclerk

I booked my first DL trip about two weeks before I left :lol: I didn't make any dining reservations since I went by myself and only ate counter service or offsite. Next time I go, I am definitely eating at the Blue Bayou, though!
I think you can only make priority seating reservations about 60 days out... You should definitely book your hotel ASAP, they get booked up quickly.

For WDW I am a strict planner, but I went to DL with a "do whatever" mindset and it was honestly one of the best vacations I've ever had. But it's easier there since there's only two parks to deal with.

MainSt1993

Kind of depends on how long you're going for and what sort of vacation you want to have. If you're getting a 3 day park hopper, you'll get early admission to DL and I'd definitely advise taking advantage of that. One hour into the park's official opening, we'd already seen all of Fantasyland, ToonTown, and rode Space Mountain 3 or 4 times. So if you're planning to see other SoCal attractions during your trip, you'll want to plan the when/where ahead of time. So, take a look at show schedules, park hours, and refurbishment/closure schedules to figure out what days to be where. I believe 60 days out you can make dining reservations.

Have fun!! :wave:

lilclerk

Oh you need to keep in mind that they do NOT have night shows every night in Disneyland, usually just the weekends. I wanted to go so badly specifically to see Remember... Dreams Come True and I was completely stupid and assumed they showed it every night, so I booked for Tuesday afternoon - Friday afternoon.
Only to get there and discover they didn't show it (or the Electrical Parade or Fantasmic) my entire trip :eek: I felt like a Disney n00b all over again.

The schedule is on the disneyland website.

ShellyT

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I only plan on spending 1 day at DL and don't plan on doing CA. We will also go to knotts and medival times while there. I'm not big into shows or parades so don't think I need to worry there.

Another question, we will be there (in CALIF) Friday, Sat and Sun
Is there a better day to do DL? I was thinking, DL on Friday, Medival on Sat. and Knotts on Sunday. What do you think?

Thanks again!

PS. do you think CA is worth going? I've never been to it but my teenage son has and he said it was just ok.

lilclerk

PS. do you think CA is worth going? I've never been to it but my teenage son has and he said it was just ok.
DCA is okay. I only spent 1/2 a day there before I got bored and went back across the plaza to Disneyland, and the best part is California Screamin' - the roller coaster. It's not a must-do right now, but I'll be heading back west once they finish renovating it.
I think you're probably fine with one day in Disneyland in February... it probably won't be TOO busy on a Friday, right? Or are you going during school vacation? Of Fri, Sat, Sun I'd think Friday would be the least busy since locals will probably flock over on the weekend.

MainSt1993

Is there a better day to do DL? I was thinking, DL on Friday, Medival on Sat. and Knotts on Sunday. What do you think?

Thanks again!

DL is nuts pretty much every weekend, year round. Friday is your best bet. You should be able to see pretty much everything there in one day. Pack for possible rainy weather too! (I actually love going to DL on rainy days - keeps it from getting crowded!)

:sohappy:

Nicole220

DL is nuts pretty much every weekend, year round. Friday is your best bet. You should be able to see pretty much everything there in one day. Pack for possible rainy weather too! (I actually love going to DL on rainy days - keeps it from getting crowded!)

:sohappy:
I thought that too, until I actually went on a rainy day....never again! :dazzle:
It was so wet and crowded, two things that don't go together.

To echo what the others have said, since you're only at DL for one day, definitely go Friday. Weekends are horrific and you might not get everything done. Fridays can be busy, but it'll be better than the weekend.

GoofyMom2

Do not, I repeat, do not go to disneyland on a Sat or Sun!

We just spent a week there and did the parks Tues-Fri. Weekdays were so slow, Friday was much more crowded. But, locals told me that Friday was nothing compared to sat and Sun....that's when all of the locals go and it is madness!

We made 1 ADR for the Minnie breakfast.....not worth it in my opinion, not when compared to WDW character meals. Much more expensive, less service (actually, zero service) and less character interaction. But, my kids did get to see some characters we haven't seen before, and DS8 got his "deliscious Mickey Waffles", so a plus on that end!

primetime52

I booked my first DL trip about two weeks before I left :lol: I didn't make any dining reservations since I went by myself and only ate counter service or offsite. Next time I go, I am definitely eating at the Blue Bayou, though!
I think you can only make priority seating reservations about 60 days out... You should definitely book your hotel ASAP, they get booked up quickly.

For WDW I am a strict planner, but I went to DL with a "do whatever" mindset and it was honestly one of the best vacations I've ever had. But it's easier there since there's only two parks to deal with.

Make sure that when you eat at Blue Bayou, you start your meal with the GUMBO and not the salad (you choose one or the other as including with your entree.) The gumbo was definitely the best part of the meal!

primetime52

Thanks everyone!

I only plan on spending 1 day at DL and don't plan on doing CA. We will also go to knotts and medival times while there. I'm not big into shows or parades so don't think I need to worry there.

Thanks again!

I had alot of fun at DCA. I'd definitely say that it's worth checking out. As an earlier poster mentioned, you probably won't end up spending a whole day there, but they have a handful of great attractions. Soarin is always fun (unless you've already ridden the Epcot clone hundreds of times). Grizzley River Run is a great Rapids ride (it's a longer version of Kali with better scenery). California Screamin' is a great Coaster. And Tower of Terror is alot of fun (quite a bit different from the MGM version so it's worth trying).

netenyahoo

I haven't been to Knotts in about 15 years, but from what I read it is not the park it used to be and may be disappointing. DCA is actually a great park. People do not give it enough credit. Only 1 day at DL is pushing it too. Don't be disappointed if you don't get on all the rides you want to.

Nicole220

I haven't been to Knotts in about 15 years, but from what I read it is not the park it used to be and may be disappointing. DCA is actually a great park. People do not give it enough credit. Only 1 day at DL is pushing it too. Don't be disappointed if you don't get on all the rides you want to.
Ewww, I really do not like Knotts. The rides aren't in the greatest condition, and I don't care for the people who hang out there. IMHO, I'd replace the Knotts day with an extra day at DL and maybe see DCA (I like it :D).

TP2000

If you are only going to Disneyland for one day, try to focus on the rides that don't exist at WDW. In addition to the Disneyland one-of-a-kinds, there's a few rides that are noticeably superior or different than their WDW cousins. I suggest trying to fit in the following Disneyland attractions that will be new or very different to you:

E Tickets-
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (Either first thing in the morning, or 10 minutes before the park closes to avoid the long line)
Matterhorn Bobsleds (a Disney classic!)
Indiana Jones Adventure (superior to Dinosaur)
Pirates of the Caribbean (vastly superior to WDW's)
Space Mountain (vastly superior to WDW's)

D Tickets-
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (an impressive extreme makeover for the old island)
Enchanted Tiki Room (original 1963 show that is fabulous)
Sailing Ship Columbia (a Disneyland exclusive)
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes (weekends only in February)
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (get a Fastpass!)
StorybookLand Canal Boats (Walt's charm and artistry everywhere)

C Tickets-
Peter Pan's Flight (superior to WDW's, but do it in the morning)
Alice In Wonderland (a Disneyland exclusive)
Casey Jr. Circus Train (a fun and zippy way to experience StorybookLand)
Pinnochio's Daring Journey (a Disneyland exclusive)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (a Disneyland exclusive)

B Tickets-
Disneyland Opera House (great model of the park circa 1955)
Tarzan's Treehouse (Tarzan evicted the Robinson family back in '99)

You'll also want to spend some time exploring areas of Disneyland that are much different from WDW's versions at Magic Kingdom. Mickey's Toontown is much better at Disneyland. New Orleans Square is many peoples favorite land at Disneyland and is worth exploring the shops and alleys. Fantasyland is also more detailed at Disneyland, with a half dozen additional rides that simply don't exist anywhere in WDW.

Rides you can skip at Disneyland because they aren't as good as WDW's versions are the following:

Splash Mountain (plotline is frenzied and hard to follow at Disneyland)
Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (not as good as WDW's)

The rest of the Disneyland attractions are fairly similar to the WDW versions. Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder and Autopia have different queue setups or a different overall look and feel at Disneyland, but the general ride experience is fairly similar. Innoventions is fun if you have a techy in your group or it's raining, otherwise don't bother. Small World is very different at Disneyland, but it will be closed for a 10 month rehab in '08.

The following WDW rides don't exist at Disneyland;
Stich's Great Escape
Carousel of Progress
PeopleMover
Monsters Inc. Laugh Factory
Country Bear Jamboree

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom