Do Meal Vouchers Offer Real Savings?

danapatt

Original Poster
I AM TAKING MY FAMILY TO DISNEY WORLD IN OCTOBER AND WAS WONDERING IF THE MEAL VOUCHERS REALLY SAVED ANY MONEY. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE DINING CAN BE COSTLY?

RogueHabit

Originally posted by danapatt
I AM TAKING MY FAMILY TO DISNEY WORLD IN OCTOBER AND WAS WONDERING IF THE MEAL VOUCHERS REALLY SAVED ANY MONEY. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE DINING CAN BE COSTLY?
Did you know that.... Typing everything in CAPS is considered to be SHOUTING and therefore very rude...

tigsmom

I have never met anyone who would do vouchers a second time. Sorry, they just don't seem worth it. I know food is expensive, but with a little planning you can keep to your budget.

careship

Originally posted by tigsmom
I have never met anyone who would do vouchers a second time. Sorry, they just don't seem worth it. I know food is expensive, but with a little planning you can keep to your budget.

I agree with tigsmom. We did it once and will never do it again. Especially with children. We rather eat at places like Trail's End and quicker stops with a few fine dining's thrown in. We tend to eat in our room though. I make sandwiches and burgers and hotdogs. I hit the Super Wal-Mart and get what I need when I get there. Then again, we drive and bring a refrigerator and Foreman grill along with us.

bandman

The only way vouchers are worth it is if you would normally eat the largest most expensive thing on the menu. For example, a counter service combo meal(burger,fries,drink) is about $8. You would not get your money out of a voucher for this type of meal.

We used them once and we started out trying to get our money's worth but it became unpleasant to tour the parks in the heat stuffed to the gills. Most people simply cannot comfortably eat enough to break even.

Use your head. If you have small kids , buy a big combo meal and split it.(my wife & I do this ourselves). We love to have breakfast in the hotel, but honestly, we never eat a breakfast that big at home so we limit ourselves to 2 or 3 times per trip. The rest of the time it is cereal bars, etc.

You are right to plan ahead for food cost. We are taking my in-laws on our next trip(July 17-24th:sohappy: ) They have never been and asked me if $200 would cover a weeks worth of food in Disney for 2. Even if you eat only 2 counter service meals per day in the park it will not.

Have a great Trip!!!

danapatt

Original Poster
Re: Do meal vouchers offer Real Savings

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Catch22, Sorry if that offended you, I was typing late while holding my 15th month old and had one hand to type.

Bandman, Thanks for your help. We cannot wait to go. I think I am more excitied than my 5 yr old daughter. I have a friend that goes every year with her children, so she is able to give me some good tips. And I had also looked at some menus online. I am just trying to be a little prepared.

Did you eat most of your meals at the counterservice? Again thanks for your help.

careship

We always eat breakfast in the room. We'll grab something anywhere for lunch. Alot of times it is counter service, but I love Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre for lunch. Dinner we always eat at the room too.

bandman

Originally posted by danapatt
Did you eat most of your meals at the counterservice? Again thanks for your help.

It depends on our budget. Most of our park meals are counter service. We have several favorites that we try to get to if our budget looks good: Ohana, Whispering Canyon, Hoop Dee Doo, a country in EPCOT, our hotel breakfast buffet.

tigsmom

We usually only do one big meal a day...the rest is counterservice/ snack bar type of stuff. Ceral bars/ granola bars from home are a great idea. I carry them in my backpack...I'm diabetic and I need to have a quick snack ready if my bloodsugar starts to fall. Don't forget to stay hydrated...water/juiceboxes from home are a great way to save, too.

Mary Ellen

We do mostly counter food. Also, with the nicer restaurants, I go for lunch instead of dinner because the same meal is a few $$ less at lunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom