[DLR] Alice and Mermaid Closing for Spring Refurbs

sponono88

Original Poster
Just announced on the Disney Parks Blog. It looks like Alice's outdoor track will finally be fixed after all these years! Also curious about the Mermaid refurb and what changes that will bring..

I’ve got some updates to share from out of the rabbit hole and under the sea today about two temporary attraction closures coming up next month at Disneyland Resort. First, Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland park will close at the end of the operating day on March 9 for an extended refurbishment. In addition to routine maintenance, minor changes will be made to the exterior of the attraction. Alice in Wonderland is scheduled to reopen summer 2014.

At Disney California Adventure park, The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure will close at the end of the operating day on March 19 for maintenance, and is scheduled to reopen in late spring.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...sort-to-close-temporarily-beginning-in-march/

Last edited:

sponono88

Original Poster
Sounds like a very nice upgrade for TLM is on the way! This was posted on MiceChat's update today:

Lighting and projections throughout the attraction will again be upgraded and tweaked, but the most noticeable changes will take place in two main areas. The big Under The Sea musical production number in the middle of the ride will receive a hand painted black light treatment on all of the set pieces and animatronics, while new lighting rigs and projectors will be installed in the catwalks above. This traditional black light effect will make this scene darker and more dramatic, and hide many of the ceiling fixtures found in the much brighter room now.

In addition to an artistic rethink on the Under The Sea scene, the last two scenes of the ride will be rearranged and changed. Ursula will finally get her big death scene here, instead of the little plywood cutout at the back of the underwhelming kissing scene, and the big wedding finale’ will be cut down and condensed a bit to accommodate Ursula. It’s hoped these changes will tighten up the ride’s plotline overall and leave riders more impressed with its showmanship.

http://micechat.com/59859-disneyland-60th-rumors/

westie

Nice to hear about Alice. When we were there in Nov. we noticed it was much darker than usual. The part where you fly over the city was basically blacked out.

Cosmic Commando

Sounds like a very nice upgrade for TLM is on the way! This was posted on MiceChat's update today:

http://micechat.com/59859-disneyland-60th-rumors/
This sounds awesome. I liked the ride before; these changes might push it to be the classic that it could and should be for the money they threw at it. I was really hoping for something more substantial for Ursula's death scene, and the black light for Under the Sea was even more than I expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom