DL Hours/Refurb Questions

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Sorry to start a new post for some simple/silly questions but I'm having trouble finding the answers elsewhere.

I am currently planning a one day DL/DCA trip for next January (hubs and I will be in CA for about a week, kid free, to celebrate our 10 year anniversary). I want to start looking into hotels for our trip so first, I have a timing question.

What is a better day for our DL/DCA visit- the Monday of MLK Day or Tuesday, the day after? I realize Monday will be busier but the hours are also much longer (based on this past January anyway). The Tuesday hours were only 10-8 for DCA and 10-9 for DL. As a WDW vet, it's freaking me out they don't open til 10 :p

Second question, it looks like there were a lot of refurbs around this time this past January. One big one was Splash Mountain. Is this a yearly refurb similar to the WDW one that happens every January? Or was it just this past January? We'd hate to miss this ride. The other refurb that stands out is Haunted Mansion, another must do for us. I'm assuming this is to remove the holiday overlay. MLK day next year is the 21st. Think it will be back up and running by then?

Thanks for any help!

Travel Junkie

First off, something to keep in mind about DLR is you don't need to plan like at WDW. Most people even non AP's simply show up. So asking what DLR will be like next week let alone next year may confuse us on the DLR forum :)

It basically comes down to what you want. Big Crowds and longer hours or lower crowds and fewer hours. No matter what day you choose arrive at rope drop. Disneyland is a late arriving crowd. People head in after work or running errands in the morning. You can get a lot done in the first couple of hours. Overall you would probably get more done on MLK with the extended hours if you arrive for rope drop and use Fastpass wisely. The flip side is that Disneyland can feel uncomfortable from mid day on. The narrow walkways become difficult to navigate on busy days. DCA has larger walkways so it rarely feels uncomfortable.

January always has lots of refurbs. Splash will likely be down. The only saving grace is that the refurb this year is much longer than usual so next year it might be short. HM usually comes back MLK weekend but no guarantee.

Also with Star Wars coming later in 2019 the winter refurb season will likely be heavier than usual. They will want as many rides as open after Star Wars opens which means they will probably push refurbs normally planned later in the 2019 to the beginning of the year. They did the same thing before the 60th. A huge number of rides went down in the months leading up the the start of the 60th so they wouldn't close during the 60th celebration.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thanks so much! Great info :) Yes, I definitely realize there is a big difference between WDW and DL. We are doing a coastal CA drive for our trip and will only be in Anaheim one day. My original thought was Tuesday, the lower crowd day, but the shorter hours are making me second guess myself. I'll have to discuss with the hubs and see what he thinks.
We'll be bummed if Splash and HM are closed while we are there but at least they are fairly similar to the WDW versions. It stinks only having one day, total luck of the draw! :eek: :p
Thanks again!

westie

I always recommend staying on property so you get the extra magic hour. You can get a boat load done in that time plus staying on site gives you that disney emersion feeling. Yep jan. is the time of refurbs but there is still lots to do and see. True you do not have to plan as a wdw vet would. The land is small, just show and go. Maxpass comes in very handy too. The day(s) you visit doesn't really matter as traffic paterns have been all over the place the last couple years. I would figure a holiday would be a little more crowded. I think weather plays the biggest factor if its going to be a locals day. Many would say don't miss the blue bayou for dining but I am quite partial to steakhouse 55 at the disney hotel. So if you need to plan on anything its plan on having fun. Cheers!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I always recommend staying on property so you get the extra magic hour. You can get a boat load done in that time plus staying on site gives you that disney emersion feeling. Yep jan. is the time of refurbs but there is still lots to do and see. True you do not have to plan as a wdw vet would. The land is small, just show and go. Maxpass comes in very handy too. The day(s) you visit doesn't really matter as traffic paterns have been all over the place the last couple years. I would figure a holiday would be a little more crowded. I think weather plays the biggest factor if its going to be a locals day. Many would say don't miss the blue bayou for dining but I am quite partial to steakhouse 55 at the disney hotel. So if you need to plan on anything its plan on having fun. Cheers!

I thought I read that in order to take part in the extra magic hour you needed at least a 3 day park ticket? We are only going one day :(

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Is there any where online that lists prices for the 3 DL hotels? The official site doesn't go as far as next January. I just want an estimate of what the prices are around that time. Even if they are prices from this past January. I know they are similar to WDW deluxe hotels but according to mouse savers, there is typically a discount in January so we may be able to swing it for one night.

Curious Constance

Is there any where online that lists prices for the 3 DL hotels? The official site doesn't go as far as next January. I just want an estimate of what the prices are around that time. Even if they are prices from this past January. I know they are similar to WDW deluxe hotels but according to mouse savers, there is typically a discount in January so we may be able to swing it for one night.

I feel kinda bad suggesting you stay at one of those hotels when they are so outrageously priced. :) You know what you might consider? Instead of needing to gain early access yourself, what you can do is choose to start the day at the park that ISN'T having early entry that day. The park that has early entry will always start the day off busier than the park that doesn't. They switch on and off between the two parks. The schedule is on their website, and looks to typically be set up as this:

Sunday: DCA
Monday: DCA
Tuesday: DL
Wednesday: DCA
Thursday: DL
Friday: DCA
Saturday: DL

So if you decide to come on Monday, since DCA will likely be having early entry that day, I would start in DL. That way you are starting at the same time as everyone else, and there isn't already a bunch of people in there from early entry. If you come on Tuesday, I'd start the day at DCA.

We have stayed at DL hotel before, and Paradise Pier, and while we enjoyed them both, we have a hard time justifying the costs to come back. Especially since it's likely you won't have time to take advantage of their pools/ambiance much since you'll probably be in the parks all day. We stay at Park Vue Inn which is the closest non-Disney hotel to the parks (right across the street on Harbor Blvd) and offers a decent free breakfast. It's not a four start resort, but it's very clean, reasonably priced, and the people are very nice and helpful. It's about the same distance to the park gates as the DL Hotel and Paradise Pier.

Just something to consider! :)

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I feel kinda bad suggesting you stay at one of those hotels when they are so outrageously priced. :) You know what you might consider? Instead of needing to gain early access yourself, what you can do is choose to start the day at the park that ISN'T having early entry that day. The park that has early entry will always start the day off busier than the park that doesn't. They switch on and off between the two parks. The schedule is on their website, and looks to typically be set up as this:

Sunday: DCA
Monday: DCA
Tuesday: DL
Wednesday: DCA
Thursday: DL
Friday: DCA
Saturday: DL

So if you decide to come on Monday, since DCA will likely be having early entry that day, I would start in DL. That way you are starting at the same time as everyone else, and there isn't already a bunch of people in there from early entry. If you come on Tuesday, I'd start the day at DCA.

We have stayed at DL hotel before, and Paradise Pier, and while we enjoyed them both, we have a hard time justifying the costs to come back. Especially since it's likely you won't have time to take advantage of their pools/ambiance much since you'll probably be in the parks all day. We stay at Park Vue Inn which is the closest non-Disney hotel to the parks (right across the street on Harbor Blvd) and offers a decent free breakfast. It's not a four start resort, but it's very clean, reasonably priced, and the people are very nice and helpful. It's about the same distance to the park gates as the DL Hotel and Paradise Pier.

Just something to consider! :)

This is my exact thought process right now :) Is it worth the extra $$$ just to get in an hour early. I do feel like we could accomplish a lot but that is pretty much the only reason to stay in one of the DL hotels. I have found others in my brief research that are cheaper and a closer walk. And like you said, we will not be in the hotel much at all. I will look into Park Vue, thanks for the suggestion. The other I had bookmarked right now was Del Sol. Not sure if you are familiar with that one.

Curious Constance

This is my exact thought process right now :) Is it worth the extra $$$ just to get in an hour early. I do feel like we could accomplish a lot but that is pretty much the only reason to stay in one of the DL hotels. I have found others in my brief research that are cheaper and a closer walk. And like you said, we will not be in the hotel much at all. I will look into Park Vue, thanks for the suggestion. The other I had bookmarked right now was Del Sol. Not sure if you are familiar with that one.
I think Del Sole is right next to Park Vue Inn so just a tad further away. I haven't stayed there so can't comment on the hotel itself.

Another thing about the early entry hour, sometimes they will limit the parts of the park that are open for the extra hour, so you might only have access to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland for example. And because there is less room to spread out in, it seems more crowded as far as wait times go.

Being at the parks right at opening is such a great time to be in the parks. The first three or four hours will be when you can cross off the most things on your list of must do's. I always hit the normally long line things first. Matterhorn (without fast pass because the fastpass side is slower), grab space Mountain fast passes, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and Big thunder all with short waits. By pass things like Pirates and Haunted Mansion for later since those wait times are typically very manageable.

The only thing that's hard is Peter Pan. Even right at park opening the line stretches to at least 30 minutes. Personally i don't waste my precious morning hours waiting in that line. But depending on your priorities, it may be worth it to you.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I think Del Sole is right next to Park Vue Inn so just a tad further away. I haven't stayed there so can't comment on the hotel itself.

Another thing about the early entry hour, sometimes they will limit the parts of the park that are open for the extra hour, so you might only have access to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland for example. And because there is less room to spread out in, it seems more crowded as far as wait times go.

Being at the parks right at opening is such a great time to be in the parks. The first three or four hours will be when you can cross off the most things on your list of must do's. I always hit the normally long line things first. Matterhorn (without fast pass because the fastpass side is slower), grab space Mountain fast passes, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and Big thunder all with short waits. By pass things like Pirates and Haunted Mansion for later since those wait times are typically very manageable.

The only thing that's hard is Peter Pan. Even right at park opening the line stretches to at least 30 minutes. Personally i don't waste my precious morning hours waiting in that line. But depending on your priorities, it may be worth it to you.

So we talked it over last night and my husband wants to stick with our original plan- Tuesday. He would rather it be less crowded. He’s more interested in just roaming and hitting up our favorite types of rides (thrill/coasters) and doesn’t want it to be frantic running around & waiting in lines all day. He also does not want to stay onsite. Hard to justify the cost. So since we will be there on a Tuesday when the extra magic hour is at DL, do you recommend starting at DCA?

Curious Constance

So we talked it over last night and my husband wants to stick with our original plan- Tuesday. He would rather it be less crowded. He’s more interested in just roaming and hitting up our favorite types of rides (thrill/coasters) and doesn’t want it to be frantic running around & waiting in lines all day. He also does not want to stay onsite. Hard to justify the cost. So since we will be there on a Tuesday when the extra magic hour is at DL, do you recommend starting at DCA?
Were you planning on spending much time in DCA?

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Were you planning on spending much time in DCA?

We definitely want to check out Cars Land, and definitely Guardians of the Galaxy. Most likely Soarin'. We'll walk through Pixar Pier, definitely ride the Incredibles Coaster and probably Toy Story Mania. Maybe Little Mermaid if the wait is short. And most likely Monster's Inc since it is unique to Disneyland. We will likely walk through the other areas at some point (we'll definitely walk through the Bug's Life area as I think it is so adorable) but that's it in terms of rides. So a pretty good chunk of stuff :cool:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
My initial thought was to go to DCA first and cross those 9ish rides off the list, then head over to DL and spend the rest of the day there. And then at some point, head back over to DCA to explore if we have the time. I'm not sure if we will see any of the night time offerings. I would like to see either World of Color or Paint the Night but it depends on if we have time and of course, what the entertainment schedule is that day. We definitely plan on getting MaxPass.

Curious Constance

My initial thought was to go to DCA first and cross those 9ish rides off the list, then head over to DL and spend the rest of the day there. And then at some point, head back over to DCA to explore if we have the time. I'm not sure if we will see any of the night time offerings. I would like to see either World of Color or Paint the Night but it depends on if we have time and of course, what the entertainment schedule is that day. We definitely plan on getting MaxPass.
That sounds like a good plan. Maxpass will be super helpful (havent used it myself but it sounds great). Do you have a lot of things you want to do in Disneyland?

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
That sounds like a good plan. Maxpass will be super helpful (havent used it myself but it sounds great). Do you have a lot of things you want to do in Disneyland?

Yes, I feel like that's where we will spend more time. Definitely the mountains, the classic rides like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Indiana Jones, I love the Fantasyland dark rides but my husband, not as much, but we will probably do at least Mr Toad's, Alice, Small World & Roger Rabbit. I know the plan for Disneyland is not have a plan but being a WDW vet, I don't know if I can do that :) I feel like I will at least need to map out a rough draft of what rides to hit up in what order. I don't want to waste time standing around looking at a map :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom