DisneySky - COMPLETE

Arktic

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Me likey this project.

Funny enough, I was actually thinking of creating a DisneySky theme park as well, but as a third gate for Paris.
I, along with others, feel like it's time to finally give that resort (both Disneyland Paris AND Walt Disney Studios Park) a proper refurbishment and expansion. Probably like Tokyo Disneyland/Walt Disney World levels of quality.

Arktic

Throughout the land are featured aircraft, many of them genuine historical models. These include a Lockheed Model 9 Orion and a Lockheed Air Express now flanking guests. These airplanes and more throughout DisneySky bear subtly appropriate Disney names: “Archimedes,” “Evinrude,”
“You Can Fly,” “Falling with Style,” and more.

la-guardias-golden-age-jim-tomlinson.jpg
Wouldn't it be cool (and be a really nice gesture/reference) if the planes were branded with the Eastern Airlines designs & colors? Let's not forget...they were WDW's official airline after all.

Arktic

I. AM. BLOWN. AWAY!!!!! This is so creative, detailed and immersive. Has a purposes and a meaningful flow. Can't wait to the see the attractions. I am lost in moment and environment and haven't even seem one e-ticket attraction yet. Please tell me that Disney has contacted you about this design and that this is a test to see how fans react!!! I want to go here now!!!! I wanted Disney Sea to come to Orlando but with some marketable difference, now I want SKY!!!
Compromise Shrug GIF

D Hulk

Original Poster
As DisneySky’s entry land, Runway One is home to the largest assortment of shops in the park covering all potential guest needs.

enhance

Avionics
Emporium

The park’s largest selection of merchandise

The Avionics airplane factory occupies the leftwards street corner upon entry - the traditional location for Disney Parks’ central emporiums.

DisneySky’s main retailer occupies a WWII-vintage Art Moderne structure, one modeled after the Art Deco Hoover Building in London. In our journey through Runway One earlier we have already admired the store’s Mayan Revival-inspired exterior facade, its stainless steel jet structure out front, and its active smokestacks in the distance.

We haven’t yet admired the store’s prominent window display: It is a character tableaux, similar to those at Main Street’s Emporium. Mickey & Minnie serve as Pan Am civil aviators in front of a de Havilland Comet commercial airliner. The airliner bears Eastern Airlines designs & colors. Mickey & Minnie stand before a stair car, greeting Donald Duck as a flustered tourist (overloaded with ill-packed luggage and cameras) and his extended duck family of Huey, Dewey & Louie.

A marble lobby within the towering corner entrance leads inside. The interior, befitting a factory, is a boxy industrial assembly floor set under repetitive girders. At least those are the building’s bones. The interior has been redecorated as a vintage 1950s travel agency - a far more inviting setting for shopping. Agents’ desks appear as checkout counters, lined with tiny Moderne model passenger planes. Luggage racks serve as merchandise displays. As a grand eye-catching centerpiece, set under a chandelier of dangling airplane headlights, is a spinning statue of Pilot Mickey and Stewardess Minnie atop a pillar of suitcases.

enhance

The walls and rafters are cluttered with vintage oversized travel posters, all featuring airlines, airplanes, and travel destinations in a “pop” graphic style with vibrant Technicolor hues. Stewardesses entertain passengers. Stratocruiser airbuses land in exotic Hawaiian locales. Aircraft cruise painterly clouds.

These posters perfectly sum up the Golden Age of Air Travel, selling it with nostalgia and luxury and glamor. Naturally, DisneySky’s “travel art” prominently features Fab Five characters. Indeed, while the exteriors of Runway One are mostly heightened historical realism, the shop interiors overflow with Disney references such as these, giving the land extra character and charm for those who seek it.

enhance

Rosie’s
Clothing store

The park’s largest apparel shop

Rosie’s sits alongside Avionics, and shares internal connections for continuous shopping pleasure. From the outside, it is a U.S. war-era riveter factory. Its window displays show off the factory’s transformation into an apparel mecca. One window depicts a '50s-era mannequin in elegant, fashionable Sunday dress. The window opposite it features a mannequin in the same pose, and in the same layout, but dressed in riveter work clothes. The American woman, equally beautiful in industry or suburbia!

The interior is themed and dedicated to Rosie the Riveter, a World War Two women’s icon...here portrayed by Daisy Duck. Prominent banners declare “RIVETING WEARS.” Like with Avionics, a greasy industrial space has been redressed for retail, its supply shelves now stocked with merchandise and its assembly machinery repurposed to display goods.

enhance

Rosie’s is the only place in DisneySky to directly reference World War Two. Wartime posters lining the walls recast the Fab Five in iconic roles. Mickey and Minnie perform the famous V-Day kiss. Daisy the Riveter poses declaring “We can do it!” Wall graffiti similar to Kilroy - but depicting mouse ears - declares “Mickey was here.” A black & white photograph depicts Minnie Mouse as Amelia Earhart.

The shop’s centerpiece is a half-built B-29 on display. All around its base are riveter equipment, discarded cans, oily rags, et cetera. Stacked in piles nearby are individual airplane components - panels, propellers, barrels of lugnuts. Former workbenches now appear as checkout counters.

enhance

Cayley Gallery
Art gallery

Fine artwork gallery, model aircraft, and Disney figurines

Guests exiting from the Marceline Character Hub are deposited within Cayley Galley, found within a stylized replica of LAX’s Hangar No. 1. This posh shop is named for Sir George Cayley, a 19th century aeronautic pioneer who codified the principles of modern airplane design. Reflecting his distinguished career, Cayley Gallery features the most ornate artwork products in all of DisneySky.

The shop is dominated by a grand mural of an eagle battling an octopus. This is a deep cut Disney reference, to their WWII animated documentary Victory Through Air Power - a forgotten relic, but a one-for-one match for Runway One’s themes. Additional murals line the upper level veranda, many of them duplicates of the wonderfully comic aviation murals featured in Tokyo DisneySea’s Soaring Fantastic Flight.

Additional fine decor includes delicate model aircraft displayed in cases. Beyond that, decoration rotates depending on the characters featured next door. Oversized wall murals depict Marceline characters’ passport books. Merchandise and decorative props both also tie into the nearby meet ‘n’ greet attraction.

enhance

Air Tower Sweets
Candy store

The largest confectionery shop in the park

The air tower opposite from Avionics - the air tower which serves as the exterior stage for The Muppets Present… - this air tower also doubles as DisneySky’s premiere spot for candies and confections. Indeed, the outdoor window display features fanciful model aircraft from the pre-Wright era, all of them made out of cookies and sweets. A sugary scent permeates the runway airs outside.

The interior resembles a Jet Age baggage claim. A central luggage carousel display continually rotates confectionery products. Guests may find more sweet goods displayed in glass cases, stacked along sleek, riveted stainless steel shelves. Framed pictures on the walls maintain a historic seriousness, with vintage photos of LAX and other regional airports.

Suchomimus

Why are the map and first four stores on separate replies? (Sorry that I posted this thrice, the site was loading every time I clicked Post Reply and it looked like it wasn’t registered.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom