DisneySea in Long Beach, CA?

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Got google earth up and I was wanting to look at DisneySea in Japan. I type in DisneySea and the first place it takes me is long beach. It says site of Port Disney (never built) and an attached article states that a resort had been planned there similar to downtown disney.

ANyone know when this was, and why it was abandoned?

MiklCraw4d

I recently wrote an article about the park at Progress City. Basically, in 1991 Disney was trying to decide whether to build DisneySea in Long Beach or WESTCOT in Anaheim. First they decided to build WESTCOT, then they copped out and build California Adventure.

DisneySea in California was somewhat similar, but still very different, from the version that was later built in Japan.

EpcoTim

I recently wrote an article about the park at Progress City. Basically, in 1991 Disney was trying to decide whether to build DisneySea in Long Beach or WESTCOT in Anaheim. First they decided to build WESTCOT, then they copped out and build California Adventure.

DisneySea in California was somewhat similar, but still very different, from the version that was later built in Japan.

Nice article.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Watched some youtube videos about it. I would really like to go there some day. It sounds and looks really cool. Too bad they couldn't have built that here.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
I don't know. If they wanted to do it right they could do it. Not sure if they would have the financial uh, balls, to do it though. But it does look like a great park.

MiklCraw4d

I don't know. If they wanted to do it right they could do it. Not sure if they would have the financial uh, balls, to do it though. But it does look like a great park.

Well, as to if it would be the same level of theming as TDS, it's hard to say as it would be a different park. Much of it would be like TDS, but key to its concept was also real-world science similar to The Living Seas. There would be some themed areas, and some research facilities.

As to whether money would have been spent on it, all you have to do is look at EuroDisney. If that resort had done well initially and development had gone forward with Port Disney, I see no reason to expect that DisneySea would have wound up built on the cheap like DCA. It was going to be a billion-dollar-plus park, so I'm sure the details would have been there.

EPCOT Explorer

Well, as to if it would be the same level of theming as TDS, it's hard to say as it would be a different park. Much of it would be like TDS, but key to its concept was also real-world science similar to The Living Seas. There would be some themed areas, and some research facilities.

As to whether money would have been spent on it, all you have to do is look at EuroDisney. If that resort had done well initially and development had gone forward with Port Disney, I see no reason to expect that DisneySea would have wound up built on the cheap like DCA. It was going to be a billion-dollar-plus park, so I'm sure the details would have been there.

I wonder if it's still possible. :eek: It would surely be amazing....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom