Disney's Rasulo 'Absolutely' Driven

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney's Rasulo 'Absolutely' Driven
By Susan Strother Clarke
Friday, May 23, 2003

(ORLANDO SENTINEL) -- It's been a tough eight months for Jay Rasulo.

Since becoming chief of the Disney theme parks in late September, Rasulo has had nothing close to the honeymoon most hope for in a new job.

Sure, he gets to go on Space Mountain -- his favorite ride -- whenever he wants to. And, yes, he's ridden Epcot's new, and still unopened, Mission: Space, which he terms "absolutely fabulous."

But in the larger picture, Rasulo has watched as forces outside his control delivered blow upon blow to the Disney resorts. First there was the lousy economy, then the war in Iraq and, most recently, SARS.

In fact, were Rasulo to star in one of those Disney what's-next commercials, it would go something like this:

"Hey, Jay! You've taken over a business where profit dropped by nearly half in the last quarter! What are you going to do?"

While a little voice inside might answer, "Run like mad," the public Rasulo, not surprisingly, never would.

In town Thursday to unveil a new theme-park safety program, Rasulo spoke on a wide range of subjects -- hesitating only once, when asked about his favorite ride at Universal Orlando. (After prodding, he conceded that Spider-Man was "interesting.")

Rasulo barely acknowledges what some analysts have called an arms race between the rival parks. Each has announced tens of millions of dollars in new-ride expansions, with Disney's latest, Mission: Space, opening this fall.

But more than competition, Rasulo thinks that uncertainty is the biggest enemy. He means consumers' uncertainty about jobs, about terrorism -- there is an orange alert, after all -- and about the safety of travel. Uncertainty keeps consumers' confidence low and is almost impossible to market against.

"We don't have a crystal ball any clearer than anyone else," said Rasulo, who took on his current job last year after a successful run at Disneyland Paris. "We are doing everything in our power to be ready when things come back."

He's had no choice but to learn quickly that the Disney parks are no longer the company's reliable cash machines. In the last quarterly report, Disney's box office and DVD sales helped carry the day, while attendance at the company's giant Orlando resort was down 7 percent.

The company anticipates a slow return to tourism's glory days, though there have been recent signs of improvement.

Interest in a Disney vacation appears to be increasing -- reaching a record level, by one measure. The company's surveys of prospective travelers have found pent-up demand, probably from folks who postponed travel prior to and during the war.

"For five or six years, we've used that measure," Rasulo said. The latest result is "higher than it has been before."

That doesn't mean everyone who wants to see Mickey actually will make the trip. Disney launched a national campaign two weeks ago to help encourage fence sitters, offering deep discounts in park admissions and hotels.

So far, the company is "pretty happy" with the response, Rasulo said, though one can't help wondering if he would have said more had the short-term results been dramatic.

As for his list of to-comes, Rasulo hinted strongly that the Broadway-style stage show of Aladdin, which has been a hit in California, might find its way to the Central Florida parks.

And while he was stingy with praise for his competitor, he didn't hesitate to say how he feels about his own position, despite the difficult times.

"My job," he said, "is absolutely terrific."

CTXRover

Originally posted by mkt

As for his list of to-comes, Rasulo hinted strongly that the Broadway-style stage show of Aladdin, which has been a hit in California, might find its way to the Central Florida parks.

Its interesting that he would mention this. Perhaps the Aladdin show is more likely to come to the Studios than the new stunt show from Paris. This may even be the reason for the construction on the backlot. Maybe they are building a state of the art theater like in DCA.

Then again, the ABC theater still sits empty. I don't know if it could handle it (some changes would obviously need to be done), but perhaps the Aladdin show will occupy this theater.

MKT, thanks for the news! From what we've seen so far, it seems Jay is in touch with what the parks are all about. A HUGE improvement over Paul Pressler, in my opinion.

PhotoDave219

Re: Re: Disney's Rasulo 'Absolutely' Driven

Originally posted by CTXRover

MKT, thanks for the news! From what we've seen so far, it seems Jay is in touch with what the parks are all about. A HUGE improvement over Paul Pressler, in my opinion.

Hey CM's! What your opinion for working under Rasulo vs working under Pressler?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
no change in the working environment. Cutbacks are still as evident as they were under Pressler

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
no.. they're hiring Seasonal and Part time if I'm right

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by mkt
no.. they're hiring Seasonal and Part time if I'm right

Right...and continually increasing the number of CPers--basically, the hope being that guests won't notice much of a decrease in quality Cast Members, but Disney will save money buy having more Cast Members with lower wages. It makes sense from Disney's perspective, I think.

PhotoDave219

Oh believe me, some of us notice. Take for instance the Rocket Scientist who was outside the HM during the e-ride nite i was there.... I wont go into it, but i know he definetly shouldn't have made the cut.

It makes sense moneywise, but how are people supposed to make ends meet? I've been told that the standard of living in Orlando area has shot way the heck up, and with lower paid CMs and others on reduced hours, i dunno how these people are going to pay their bills.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
Oh believe me, some of us notice. Take for instance the Rocket Scientist who was outside the HM during the e-ride nite i was there.... I wont go into it, but i know he definetly shouldn't have made the cut.

It makes sense moneywise, but how are people supposed to make ends meet? I've been told that the standard of living in Orlando area has shot way the heck up, and with lower paid CMs and others on reduced hours, i dunno how these people are going to pay their bills.

I don't know either...I feel pretty bad for the Cast Members, especially the really good ones, who put all they have into making guest experiences even more magical and get hour reductions and such...but, I understand why Disney is doing it. With 55,000 Cast Members in the summer, decreases like these really do save the company a LOT of money.

zarathustra

I can't speak from a cast member's perspective, but I don't think it's a coincidence that shortly after Rasulo's moving up to the plate we have one certainty of a 100 million dollar E Ticket (Expedition Everest), the possibility of another one in a couple of years (the rumored Time Racers), the new stunt show at the Studios, a possible new Aladdin show, and the opening of Buzz Lightyear and the reopening of 20000 Leagues Under The Sea at Disneyland. This many possible new attractions would never have been possible under the Pressler regime, and it points to the fact that Rasulo seems to understand that attractions are what should drive the parks, as opposed to treating the division like one huge retail chain.

PhotoDave219

I understand that and i agree with you abour Rasulo - its great for the guests.

I'm just trying to get the perspective from the people who actually work there, to see if life is getting any better for them yet. And from what i've heard, it's not. However things don't sound like they're getting any worse either, so i guess thats a plus.... sorta.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by zarathustra
I can't speak from a cast member's perspective, but I don't think it's a coincidence that shortly after Rasulo's moving up to the plate we have one certainty of a 100 million dollar E Ticket (Expedition Everest), the possibility of another one in a couple of years (the rumored Time Racers), the new stunt show at the Studios, a possible new Aladdin show, and the opening of Buzz Lightyear and the reopening of 20000 Leagues Under The Sea at Disneyland. This many possible new attractions would never have been possible under the Pressler regime, and it points to the fact that Rasulo seems to understand that attractions are what should drive the parks, as opposed to treating the division like one huge retail chain.

I couldn't agree with you more. By the way, at DL, they are opening up the submarine voyage, not 20k. DL never had a 20k, just a ride called "Submarine Voyage."

So people, sing it with me now!!!!!!!!

DING DONG, THE PRESSLER IS GONE! WHICH OLD PRESSLER? THE WICKED PRESSLER! DING DONG, THE WICKED PRESSLER IS GOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNE!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S GONE WHERE THE OTHER BAD EXECUTIVES GO, AWAY! AWAY AWAY, HOOORAY! LETS SING, AND RING THE BELLS OUT, DING DONG A MERRIO! SING IT HIGH! SING IT LOW! LET THEM KNOW THE WICKED PRESSLER IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNE

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Tenuous Link

Has Rasulo dropped a hidden message?

He claims hes driven.

Driven By You the Brian May song was used to advertise the Vauxhall Astra.

Astra/ GM vehicles used in the DLP stunt show.

2+2 = 2005

Mark my words the stunt shows coming, itll open early 2005, and have a fabulous gift shop. If not Ill change my name ( again).

VILLAINSRULE

Is Jay responsible for all the new activity or is it a carryover from the Pressler regime? How much credit should he be given for this flurry of new activity? Does anyone know or have an opinion on if Jay actually "gets" the Disney culture, and "gets" what it means to the millions of us out there who love Disney for its special atmosphere and history, etc....or is he just another driven MBA looking to make a name for himself at the expense of what Disney really stands for?

ToTBellHop

Jay truly cares about the parks and improving overall guest experience. These newest projects, including EVEREST, are a result of him. I think he will do wonders for the parks...he has my full support. Now, if Cynthia Harriss would just leave...lol

space42

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Jay truly cares about the parks and improving overall guest experience. These newest projects, including EVEREST, are a result of him. I think he will do wonders for the parks...he has my full support. Now, if Cynthia Harriss would just leave...lol

Actually, Everest got the green light while Pressler was still in charge. Believe it or not!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom